10mths post Op TLKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Why do my Knee start, aching as soon as I get in bed. It is outside of left knee. Had TLKR in Aug .No pain during the day, just as I start to relax. I am not sleeping very well, due to the fact the Stiffness wakes me up. Anyone else like this

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

im only 10 wks post op and have the same problem

ive been doing really well sleeping and walking but lately seem to have this problem

i dont know why and what to do

i take paracetamol but it has no effect

can someone please explain why this happening

• Posted

hi

yes, i only had my TKR on 18/5 but i find it is so much worst at night. I am only sleeping for an hour at a time all night long, feeling exhausted in the morning.

• Posted

Hi yes that's expected, your very early days. I was like that for 8/10 weeks or so. Wish you well

• Posted

thank you.

having this op makes you feel very isolated doesnt it

• Posted

I am 20 days post LTKR and i have been doing terrific- sleeping and walking unassisted. i have burning at my knee that occasionally wakes me. I find using ice helps - fill an ice bag and see if that doesn't help with both pain & relaxationBEST OF LUCK!!

• Posted

I am 20 days post LTKR and i have been doing terrific- sleeping and walking unassisted. i have burning at my knee that occasionally wakes me. I find using ice helps - fill an ice bag and see if that doesn't help with both pain & relaxationBEST OF LUCK!!

• Posted

Are you lying on your side? I had left TKR in January and find if I lie on my left side, my preferred side, the outside of my knee aches after a while. If I sleep on my right the inside of my knee aches. I assume it's because of pressure on the soft tissue on either side when the knee is moving slightly sideways or pressing against the mattress or other leg , which we don't do if we're upright. A pillow,between the legs helps to an extent and I found wrapping the knee in cling film helps too - don't ask me why, something to do with moist heat I was told.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I am 6 months post op and had the same problem. I use a thin pillow which I position length ways along my leg just below my knee. My PT suggested this and it works for me. I also use a body pillow for when I rollover onto my other side.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi folks

I have had both my knees replaced , left 6yrs ago right 1yr ago .. what you have to understand is that you have had major surgery and you need time to recover both mentally and physically. I still get pain in my right knee and stiffness the key to a good recovery is ice when it hurts , plenty of walking and leg bends .. keep that joint moving every day .. my tips are fir bends

foot on bottom step at home move forward bending knee do as many as poss then when able move up another step...same reps ..

as for ice .. 2 x elastic support bandages over knee get cool box ice packs and slip 1 each side of knee in between the bandages and relax .. I also take MSM powder 100% pure twice per day is taste yuk but it works ... keep off pain killers especially opiates been there done that and it's not the way .. this is not a nice operation and recovery can be slow but it's worth it in the end .. good look and keep smiling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.