10th day

Posted , 13 users are following.

Good morning lovelies, well this is my 10th day after op. Is it normal to still be in such discomfort. Swellings gone down quite a bit today, yesterday I thought my skin was going to burst.  I think I just need reassurance that I'm not the only one who's finding this whole thing very painful and slow. I suffer with anxiety so nausea has been a big problem for me, also I've always been a keep fit freak and not being able to do the thing that makes me feel good are taking its toll. 💝

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Goodmorning Julia,  

you sound a little better -

Warm welcome to this forum of hippies where we share our personal stories and experiences , find the best support and understanding - You are not  on this journey  anymore ...

You just had major surgery where your body sustained a lot of trauma - forcefully the hip joint was removed after a deep incision where muscles and tendons were cut or seperated,  femur cut, cavities prepared for hardware to be jammed in ... 

If you are up to it, maybe you can wath the video on youtube - not for the weak of stomach though - however there are animated versions that show the performed surgery as well - 

You will be on an emotional roller coaster for now - I was anyway - crying for no apparent reason, feeling depressed, anxious - feeling helpless and hopeless at times - 

be gentle with yourself darling - your body is working so hard to repair the damages done, so please allow the healing to take place in its own time - 

tender loving care 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Many thanks renee, nice to know I'm not the only one who's blubbering. Did you have the feeling that your hip was going to pop out at times, almost like the muscles not strong enough to hold it in place. 💖
    • Posted

oh yes ... eventhough my surgeon told me to trust the joint and I could stand on it, full weight - 

but it is very rare, julia ... 

I also believe that there is a grieving period after THR - a part of your body was removed and something new took its place - a feeling of loss, so to speak ...let the tears flow .. it is cleansing and healing - 

• Posted

Hello renee, I have found the mental pain worse than the physical pain, and that's bad enough. I agree, you put it very well, the mind is the strongest muscle in the body, and can work against you. I'm feeling much less vulnerable today because I'm down to one crutch and can be a bit more independent. The kindness of the people on this forum has been a godsend to me, I've been blown away by everyone's generosity. Hope you continue to feel better every day. Thanks again renee for your support. Love and luck💖
    • Posted

Hi Julia

yes absolutley feel the same, it is the most bizarre feeling isnt it, I have just has my 6 week post op check and queried this , the consultant said it is mustle and nerve contractions often and part of yhe healing process, you will be back on your feet before you know it,, I had compeltely underestimated the severity of this op,  cried endlessly week 2 and still have little moments of tears for joy, concern or just no reason...  you will be fine the worst if over and remember that awful discomfort before and soon that will be gone for ever xxx good luck

• Posted

Hello Polly, thank you for your support. Yesterday I was crying on and off all day. Today has been a better day, put some normal clothes on for the first time, and a bit of slap. Cant help wondering if the hip is ok though, I'm a worrier. Had my staples out today, was worrying about that all week, but it was'nt too bad, worry over nothing really. My daughter came over and gave my legs a shave and put some moisturiser on for me. I was looking a bit like a yeti. Bit of pampering works wonders. Hope you go from strength to strength, wishing you a happier and painfree future. sending love and hugs.xxxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

hi julia, 

checking in with you and see where you are on this roller coaster ride ...

Julia, what is " a bit of of slap"   - not too familiar with this expression except for the obvious - do you hit yourself ???

sorry for being so ignorant 

• Posted

Hello Renee, what a funny image, walking round slapping myself. It means putting make up on. Giggling as i read the question. Had a half hour walk round the house today, am able to put almost full weight on hip now, but taking it easy. Waiting for the inevitable swelling to take over. I'm still quite emotional, but some people seem to not understand that side of things, but hey ho, there are plenty of people who do. How are you today, keep thinking about you living alone through all of this, and still finding the strength to support so  many people. Total respect. Sending you love and hugs. xxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Julia yes this is normal the swelling takes a good time to go down. I am 5 weeks now on one crutch and feeling a lot better. It is slow process keep doing your exercises all will come good. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara, many thanks for taking the time to reply. I think my problem  is I've heard so many stories of miraculous recoveries that it's made me feel inadequate. Listening to someone else's experiences that are similar to your own is such a comfort. Thanks again, and good luck. 💖
  • Posted

It can be painful, it is invariably slow and frustrating, we heal very slowly, much more slowly than we like to think we will.

I never ever was a keep fit fanatic, but that can only help you, other than the frustration about not being able to do it immediately.  Opportunities for restarting fitness will open up as you recover, just don't do too much too early.

Recovery is a long roller coaster experience, physically and mentally.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hello graham, I think the psychological pain is worse than the physical pain. Your right it is a roller coaster ride but, with the help of all the kind people on this forum I think we can all look forward to a less traumatic and scary experience. It's the 11th day for me and I am down to using 1 crutch, so am able to be a bit more independent, having one hand free to carry things from room to room makes you feel less vulnerable. Thank you again for your kindness. Hope you go from strength to strength. Love and luck. 💝
  • Posted

The swelling can last quite a while, I had mine for quite some weeks, eventually there was just the ankle that was swollen. I couldn't get any of my trainers on, only my slippers and that was because they were a bit stretchy.  You will find you may get very dry skin on your legs and feet too.

I was a bit like that and walking in the countryside helps my anxiety and it was a good few weeks before I could go up the fields again. Don't try to rush it though and take your meds by how you feel, not how other people do and you will be fine.

• Posted

Hello Lynn, thank you so much for your advice. Hope your recovery goes from strength to strength. I find the psychological pain the worst. I have started to not be so precious about meds and taking them as and when I feel I need them. It's the 10th day now and am able to get about with the one crutch, this frees up a hand to carry things from room to room. It's going to be a long journey for us with ups and downs, hopefully more ups. Thanks again for your time and kindness. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Love and luck. 💖
    • Posted

Thank you Julia, your doing better than me at that stage lol I'm coming up to 15 weeks and been back at work for a week and a half. see we are all different lol

The emotions do get the better of you sometimes and the frustration.

Take care, forward and upward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.