11.5 cm complex cyst

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I am new here and first time on any forum.

My 15 year old daughter has a 11.5 cm complex cyst on/around her left ovary. We are waiting for an MRI in a month to get more details and have a gynecologist appointment 2 weeks after that. She also had blood tests done which I would assume was some sort of cancer screening. It came back fine and was told surgery is needed.

The amount of pain she was in was unbearable and me seeing her like that and being absolutely powerless to help her ripped my heart out. I have never had anything like this so speaking with her I cannot relate with any personal experiences.

I can't find too much information on what is involved in this operation and reading more about it is just causing more anxiety and quite honestly is freaking me out (hysterectomy/fertility problems etc).

Has anyone been through this that is comfortable talking about their experience as well as what pain management worked? Naproxen does nothing and they gave her a strong pain pill in the hospital...also nothing.

-My apologies in advance if I am not allowed to talk about medication.-

I feel so utterly helpless. Any insight would be truly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi your poor daughter I really feel for her. I suffer with ovarian cysts and i have check ups every 6 months to check growths ect. As of yet I dont need surgery so I cant help with the actual cyst removal operation but I did have 2 somewhat similar operation years ago one was keyhole to remove some scar tissue and another was open surgery (the one across the tummy) sorry I forget the actual term to remove one of my tubes this was nothing to do with my cysts though. as I said I know my operations were for something different but i imagine it's a similar sort of operation. Both surgeries healed relatively quick. The keyhole was slightly easier than the other one I couldn't walk around too much for the first week so I took it easy, plenty of rest and no lifting. the scars themselves are now barely there.

for the cysts I have, I have a hot bath followed by a hot water bottle or one of the lavender microwave ones. there are days they wont be as bad and days they are really bad and no medication will touch the pain. I have been told of they get too bad to go to the a&e straight away. once your daughter as had the cyst removed the pain should subside and the doctor will then keep an eye on her.

I wish your daughter all the best and sorry I couldn't be much help.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experience Tinkerbell! You helped more than you realize.

When something like this happens (especially at her age) you feel very alone...and I will share what you wrote with her.

And yes medication seems to do nothing when the pain is at its peak. Unfortunately the trip to the emergency last week proved useless, which I assume was mainly due to the overwhelming of all staff due to covid and partly because the doctor that eventually saw her seemed to be...ummm... new on the job. Which is the nicest way I can put it. Needless to say we ended up leaving. I was able to get the gyno appointment bumped up by a month by begging my family doctor to do whatever he can so he made a few calls...(I totally love him!!!). Now it's a waiting game.

Oh! And I also thank you for explaining your surgeries as well as the healing time involved. I know being "cut open" is very worrisome for my daughter.

So I truly thank you again. You helped a very worried mom and an extremely nervous teenager. Big cyber hugs!!!!

• Posted

I'm glad you have managed to bump it up a little bit. I completely feel for your daughter when the pain is at its peak is a very strange kind of pain and I can imagine it's horrible for you to have to see that pain in her.

The bigger surgery I found very worrying too I'm as big worrier when it comes to surgery but the recovery will be nothing compared to the pain shes having with the cysts at the moment it will only be temporary pain whilst recovering. The other issue for a teenager will maybe be the scar itself the keyhole ones I can not see anymore and the main scar you can barely see now!

Tell your daughter please do not feel alone there are so many women and girls out there that have cysts it's very common.

sending big cyber hugs and I hope shes gets her appointment soon and recovers well.

• Posted

She didn't know I was on this forum, so when I read her your message yesterday she was amazed that a complete stranger not only opened up about their own personal experience but also offered support as none of her friends have had anything like this before. What you wrote definitely helped ease her anxiety....as well as mine. And I can't thank you enough for that. You earned your angel wings sweets! I will update you when we find out exactly what we are dealing with after the MRI if that's ok?

Stay safe and more big cyber hugs!

-Samantha

• Posted

aww thankyou so much. no problem at all I'm half I helped. it's not nice to feel so alone when going through something so scary.

yes please do let me know how she goes on. good luck and take care and a big cyber hug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.