11.5 weeks post op

Posted , 2 users are following.

I thought I would start a new thread rather than hi-jack another thread.  I am a 67 yr old female trying to recover from a full tear.  I'm 11.5 weeks post op.  I'm among the many suffering from unbearable, searing pain.  Yesterday I had my physical therapy assessment and measurements.  My shoulder flexion was 146*, Abduction 150* plus some other measurements I didn't understand.  I was designated "functional".  Hmmmm - but the unrelenting pain????   Today I saw my surgeon.  He was very pleased with my range of motin and strength.  I mentioned the pain and he said I just needed more time.  He offered more pills and said to call when I ran out. I'm on Oxycodone 5-325 (with Tylenol) to be taken every 6 hours.  He said to use 3 Motrin in between the Oxy.  So, I guess I would take 3 Motrin at 3 hours and an Oxy 3 hours later.  This is my first day, but while I'm still in pain, it is ALMOST bearable.  Regarding physical activity, he didn't seem to put any restrictions.  He said I could swim and putt and chip in golf.  As I felt able, I could progress to a full swing.  Hahahah.  I don't know if I'm able to even chip, but I'm encouraged Dr. thinks that is possible.  Since I have permission to use my affected arm, I'm doing more and currently I'm feeling sore.  It's odd to begin using my arm again.  Being able to use my arm to wash my hair will be a plus.  smile I am starting strength training next week, but only going once a week.  The co-pay with my therapy is getting expensive.  I figure I can do allot at home.  I'll let you all know how the pain management revision is going. It's still very early.  I hope I can coral and head off the pain before it begins to be unberable.   I hope it works.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roberta, I am also just over 11 weeks post op and 57.  I'm a PT and your range is functional...but not full range of motion...which takes an amount of time that can only be estimated and possibly never truly reached after surgery...which is why they say a year for recovery. That being said, when I am pushing for new range...it hurts. But the hurt should only linger for 30 min or so or you have pushed too hard. As for pain, everyone's is different. I was mostly off narcotics by 5th day but use tramadol and tylenol daily. I have other pain issues so I am already of the mindset that I would prefer to tolerate the pain than use narcotics. Whenever I started doing anything new, I always had increase in pain. The pain is different every day...I wake up with pain etc. I used meds to help me sleep and have since I broke my neck 8 years ago.  cold pack is usually my first choice for pain management. I first blowed my hair dry this week. It was sore afterwards and I won't do that often. Washing the hair is easy. I have long, curly hair!  It's a challenge. If your Dr thinks you are doing good it's by his parameters then that's good. It's different when you're wearing the shoe though wink  

I hope your progress continues and your pain starts to decrease as you use the arm more. Baby steps and be easy on yourself. Hang in there!

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.  Yes, I know that I do not have FULL range or motion, but apparently I have enough where I'm deemed functional.  For me, however, it's not functional enough.  I don't know why I have so much pain, but the added Motrin has already helped in that it has reduced my anxiety, which causes me more pain.  I didn't have much problem blow drying my hair.  I either held the dryer close to my waist or used my non-dominant arm.  Combing and styling is another issue.  Yes, my doctor thinks I'm doing good.  YAY!.  

• Posted

Sounds good for you.  I am still putzing along-fearful of doing something stupid resulting in starting over.  I only use Aleve 2x a day and extra strength Tylenol occasionally. As of last Friday 12 weeks out for "massive" tear(s) requiring screws to reattach...  Active ROM shoulder flexion172 shoulder abduction 150, shoulder internal rotation 75, shoulder external rotation 62  Passive ROM (same order) 180, 180, 80, 75.  Manual muscle testing (0-5) shoulder flexion 4-, shoulder abduction 4-, shoulder internal rotation 5, shoulder external rotation 3.  I have no complaints with my recovery other than it is S L O W and at times sore.  I do not have much pain anymore, mostly discomfort.  I started some strengthening last week, more this week.  I attend PT 3 times per week.  I have strict restrictions i.e. no crawling, reaching, lifting, carrying now through mid-June.  It's a journey.  Hang in there and keep working hard!  We will all make it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.