11 days out after Radical Prostatectomy

Posted , 10 users are following.

I recently went through robotic assisted Prostatectomy surgery after being diagnosed with Stage B Prostate cancer, gleason score of 8.  7 of my cores displayed gleason scores between 6 and 8.  Doctor stated it appeared contained, but was a fairly agressive type of cancer, and explained the 4 different types of treatment available and sent me home with a lot of information. 

After reading many of the posts in this forum, and doing as much research as possible, I opted for the surgery instead of radiation treatment as I want to be completely cancer free.  I am 64 years old, in very good health, and did not experience any prior symptoms at all.  Happended to cut my finger needing stitches, and during the visit to remove them my primary physician mentioned my last PSA level was 4.5 so conducted another digital exam and blood test.  PSA came back 6.8 and during the exam he noticed a small ridge.  I made an appoitment with my urologist. 

Post surgery now 11 days and finally removed my cathetor last night (per doctors permission).  I have been doing Kegel excerises faithfully even before the surgery in preparation for recovering bladder control.   I know each person is different, but what can I expect as a general time line before I can switch to a pad instead of the depends.  How many of you have regained full control of your continence?  

Also, post surgery lab results came back stating negative for malignancy in any of the lymph nodes, supravisicular excision, or seminal visicle.  It does state there is one margin that is focally involved, but my doctor stated that of 100 patients with this result, only 4 had an occurance of cancer returning.  

Walking a mile everyday, and now that the cathetor is out, feeling much better.  I know it will be a process in this recovery, but I wanted to get that cancer out of my body.  This forum is not only very informative, but also very supportive.  Thank you men for sharing your experiences with all of us.  

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't understand what you mean by 'stage B'.

Prostate Cancer is generally measured via a Gleason Score ( eg 6-10) and a Tumor Stage ( eg T1a, T1b, T1c, T2a, T2b, T2c, T3a, T3b or T4).

When you say "B" please note there is worild of difference between T1b and T3b.

Your post indicates that post-op pathology show positive margins, is that right?

And clear lymph nodes, no extraprostatic extension and no involvement of the seminal vesicles.

Was metastastis to the bones rules out as well?

Please understand that surgery is used to control the cancer. Even if margins are negative, there is no guaranty that the cancer will not return.

I too had RARP recently and my continence is much much better 4 months after surgery. Please don't expect any quick fire return to normal.

• Posted

The Stage B was what the urologist initially told me.  Looking at my final pathology report, tumor was listed as T3a and Gleason score was 3 + 4= 7  

Doctor ordered a bone scan prior to surgery along with a CT scan and all came back clear.  

Proportion of prostate involved by tumor = 20%

Under Addiitonal Pathologic Findings: High-Grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia

While I have made my decision, so any discussion about other treatments are not on the table for me at this time, it is encouraging to hear that after 4 months to a year, many men have limited leakage and have found urinary control for the most part.  

• Posted

Ok I now better understand.

With T3a is likely that you may need additional (also called adjuvant) therapy in case it is believed the cancer has spread.

If I were you I would monitor the PSA post op. If it is nowhere near zero and climbs then I would strongly consider such surgery, even if the new scans come back clear.

Please understand that a scan does not pick up every cancer on the skeleton, but only cancer that has spread in a big way. A small spread to the bone will not appear on the scans.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better Double Dee,i do not know if you chose the right path to go down? 

I was given a decapeptyl jab,the side effects of this have been horrendous,anyone else had this?Then i am to have radiotherapy and 2 more years on the drug.They say this will cure me,but the thought of 2 years on decapeptyl is daunting,anyone going down this route get well informed of what is facing you.

• Posted

Hi Garry,

Yes mate, You would need a VERY good reason to use it. My sister asked me to do some research into decapeptyl...Bloody terrible stuff. Many forums have terrible stories about decapeptyl. It seems once you have it in your system, you may never recover all your hormone systems as you knew them. It takes several weeks for the drug to really kick in as you lose the various hormones, and no going back. As my 55 year old sister had a terrible time with chemo(heart attacks, all her teeth fell out, damaged heart valve as well as electrical issues, toe nails may never come back, permanent pins and needles in her feet and hands...all in all she would not live through decapeptyl. They just found more cancer in her other breast. She said no more, let it take its course.

• Posted

Hi geoff.

,thanks for your reply,yes thehorror stories are indeed true,i am finding out to my cost.I was not told whar the jab was nor what it would do to me?

I am left wondering about any further jabs of this potion or if possible to just go with the radiotherapy?I know the docs will not be pleased but to have to feel like this is impossible to bear but i shall be asking questions, Ihave read that you may never get back to how you were that is very frightening.

Yes i have read about other peoples experience on this stuff and it makes awful reading women as well as men, women use it for endo.

Thanks geoff Garry.

• Posted

Hi geoff, 

sorry to read about your sister was she also on decapepty?If so those are horrendous side effects,i do not blame her for giving it up.

All my best to you both garry. 

• Posted

No garry, I convinced her, though that did not take too much considering the issues she is having "just" from the chemo, that using decapepty would in all probability kill her.

Living is about quality of life. The two chemo she was put on was the strongest they had, and her next several years, should she survive, look kind of bleak. Some times, the cure is worse that the cancer.

• Posted

I agree with your statement that "living is about quality of life".

What is the point of "living" for years if one doesn't enjoy those years at all?

• Posted

Yes Barney, I recall when she was first diagnosed and I said, with no knowledge what so ever about chemo, you have to go on chemo and everything the doctors recommend. Now, a year on, I realise it is super important for people to arm themselves with knowledge BEFORE taking any action. If she had believed the surgeon and pathologist, who did the surgery and pathologist work, she would be a very fit and well individual now, better able to fight any cancer that popped up. Maybe a bit(lot) of trepidation about 3 monthly PET scans, and she would have been well enough to have fought a cancer.

To deliberately poison your system as a prevention in case some cells got loose and they may cause a cancer is crazy.

It has certainly made me more resistant to treatment for my 'suspected' prostate cancer until I am convinced I have it AND it needs actively treating. At 67, it means every year older, I need to worry less.  

• Posted

Your attitude is correct I believe. With any treatment offered I ask a simple question: "what is the upside and downside of such treatment"?

There better be a worthwhile trade off between the treatment and life extension or improved quality of life to make me go ahead with a proposed treatment.

I also sleep better at night knowing there are some treatments that may be offere to me in the future which I have made clear I will reject, because it doesn't pass the trade off test in my eyes.

• Posted

I agree with you and Barney,quality of life is very important.I was already depressed before decapeptyl and on seroxat,now i feel worse as decapeptyl causes depression as well never told about this had to find out for myself.What stage is your suspected prostate at geoff?If i were you i would try to hang in without radical treatment but that is of course up to you,all treatments have side effects.I have a whisky at night and try to keep things normal if i give things up i feel i have lost the battle,but i cannot drink when radiotherapy starts .

best to you and your sister garry.

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses...here is an update on my current condition after having a Radical Prostatectomy procedure December 5th.  After the cathetor came out  I was using the depends my wife had bought for me.  After only two weeks, I switched to a thick pad, but by three weeks I was using only a very light pad in my underwear not needing either the thicker pad or the depends.

I went back to work after 1 month with a release from my doctor and started working out in the gym again for about 50 minutes 2 to 3 times a week doing 25 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of light circuit-weight training. 

2 month after surgery I was able to get rid of the pad all together and have not used one since.  I do occasionally leak a small amount (quarter size spot) when I lift something heavy, but for the most part the exercising has helped me control that.  Occasionally I get up one time during the night to urinate, but most nights I sleep all the way through with no problems.  

At 64 years old, I feel blessed I am still able to ride my motorcyle on the racetrack.  By February 11, I scheduled another track day and by the end of the first day, I was back to my normal pace (see photo at bottom). I have now completed two track weekends, have gotten my self back into my previous shape, and have no continence issues.  

The impotence is another story...but I have just been focusing on the continence...one thing at a time.  Also completed my 3 month checkup and PSA is down to .9 from 6.8.  Good but not great as my tumor was diagnosed a T3A and the pathology report stated cancer was found in the ink.

After completing another CT scan last week the results came back clear but my urologist has scheduled an appointment with a radiation oncologist for 6 to 8 weeks of radiation as a precaution.  I am worried about collateral damage to my bladder and the one sphincter I have left.  

Has anyone experienced radio therapy after a prostatectomy?  

• Posted

As a matter of fact I have.

Had robotic surgery last sept.

psa didn't fall as expected.

cancer found in one place on a bone.

had radiation two weeks ago.

three sessions of high dose.

zero side effects. So much so that I wonder if they really radiated me.

before you have radiation make sure the oncologist can see clearly in ten scan where he thinks the PCa is. After all, if he can't see on the scan, just what is he radiating?

Very important as well is to establish if the is PCa in one or multiple spots in the body.

• Posted

one more thing. If the PSA doesn't fall as expected post op then it is likely but not certain that PCa has escaped the prostate.

If the physicians suspect it escaped but it can't be seen on the scan then I would think a systemic solution like hormone therapy makes more sense than radiating blindly.

• Posted

Sort of sounds like the frying pan to the fire...Hormone therapy can have terrible side effects. But you have limited choices, as you can't simply radiate "somewhere" but need a very specific target. The hormone therapy should slow the PCa down, hopefully while thinking of another plan of attack.

Sorry to hear Barney, that the PCa escaped and set up home in one of your bones. Have you asked your doctor if there are any trials about the place that may help?

• Posted

I have not asked about clinical trials. I assume you refer to trials of medication eg hormone therapy? Do you have any suggestions in that regard?

I am to retest the PSA in a month and if it falls, then all will be well until it rises again. 

The he urologist was very much gobsmacked that the PSA found a home in a bone when the post op pathology showed CLEAR nodes and CLEAR margins. 

• Posted

Hi barney, No specific ideas about trials, but often the doctors know of such trials that may benefit you. Maybe you are in a stage when PSA momentarily rises then falls again... 

If the PCa was diagnosed as contained, and the post pathology confirmed no PCa involvement outside that of the prostate, how did the PCa get into your blood stream???

Maybe the PCa had its own blood supply network, though you would think, the pathology would find this.

When the prostate is being removed, I have often wondered how the prostate's blood supply network is isolated so no leakage occurs.

Then you get the old potential problem of biopsy wounds tracking the PCa into the main blood stream. I have always thought this was a possible issue.

Anyway barney, I hope the resultant PSA test shows a reduction. While hormone therapy can have problems, some find it no problem at all. I hope you are the latter. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

In reply to your question asking how the PCa got into the bloodstream, the post op pathology mentioned PNI or peri neural invasion, which my urologist says CAN result in PCa spreading beyond the prostate even when ALL other indicators are good.

This is quite rare, but can happen.

• Posted

I am scheduled to see the radiation oncologist tomorrow, and will begin the first loading dose of hormone therapy.  Urologist believes nano PCa cells have escaped the encapsulation but have not attached to anything yet.  

I'll know more about possible radiation treatment (starting a month from now) tomorrow.  

• Posted

If the belief is that PCa escaped the prostate but has not attached itself to anything, then I agree hormone therapy may be advised.

You must track your post op PSA over time. Is it rising and if so at what speed?

The questions you must ask of the oncologist or urologist are:

What are my treatment options now? 

What are the pros and cons of the above?

If radiation is advised, which is it? EBRT or SBRT? The latter is more targeted and often has only a few sessions of high doses. This is what I just had.

If hormone therapy is recommended ASAP, regardless of whether it continues for some time or is replaced soon with radiation, what is the risk of delaying hormone treatment?

Can I safely delay hormone treatment until the PCa beyond the prostate is visible on a scan and opt for radiation in place of hormone therapy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.