11 days Post-op and cast questions

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

First, I'd like to say that I feel so validated by reading all these posts. I dislocated my ankle and fractured the bottom 2 inches of my tibia on Oct 9th. I had surgery the following evening and was placed in a plaster back cast until my follow up on Oct 25th. I was told I would be placed in a fibreglass cast for most likely another 3-4 weeks while the bone continues to heal.

As far as I know I have a plate and some screws on my tibia. Has anyone else had a burning sensation constantly in their injured foot from the top of their foot around the back ans through the ankle? It feels like someone is pouring a constant flow of acid on my foot. It is constantly elevated and I drink lots of water and also take pain meds and yet it still happens like clock work around 5pm. Just wondering if I'm alone.

Also does anyone have an idea of cast progressions? Does it normally go: plaster back cast to fibreglass to walking air boot? I know weight bearing is a long way off for me but I am just wondering. I have never broken a bone before (I'm 34) so I'm in uncharted waters.

TIA

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey I have been in your position before. The two things I can think of that could be going on is either your nerves are coming back or you are developing a pressure sore on your heel. When I had my cast I use to keep my foot elevated while keeping it pressed against my heel and all of a sudden one day my foot was burning so bad and it felt like it was on fire or like electricity was going through my foot. It hurt so bad and was unbearable. I had only been in the cast for almost a week and it got so bad that I called to get it checked out. When they cut the cast off and did xrays they saw that i was developing a pressure sore and they said it was a good thing that I came in. So instead of giving me another cast they put me in a boot.. As far as nerves, it felt like my foot was vibrating and it felt weird. But it didn't burn and my orthopedic doctor said those were my nerves coming back because when I had surgery they had to cut through nerves. So those are the two things I can think of.

• Posted

there is tingling muscle spasms called stingers. That will last for a while. I am at 12 wks now and finally seeing light at the end. I went from cast to walking boot. I wasnt weight bearing yet but was more comfortable in the boot. my foot would swell in the cast and was uncomfortable. The boot kept it in place but I could loosen it when my foot would swell. For me once I became weight bearing my orthopedic told me to start walking in the boot. That was hard and painful at first. Once you can walk alone in the boot then they moved me t o an ankle brace and it is very light and much more comfortable. Be prepared for some depression. It is a slow process but it does get better. I have been walking for about 10 days now and doing physical therapy. Still have pain but much less and walk with a limp. Exercises and therapy help but it takes time and from what I understand walking correctly comes in time. Hang in there it really will get better. I just started driving this week and that helps a lot. Not feeling so depressed .

• Posted

Hiya I fractured my ankle in three places in May and was in a cast for 8 weeks. I had the burning sensation in one of my backcast and ended up get it changed after 6 six days as it kept getting worse . Apparently when you sweat it can build under the cast and cause water blisters on your skin so definitely go to your fracture clinic and get it changed. I'm my case my skin was fine but the pain was so uncomfortable and with everything else you are going through with your leg you really don't need to suffer this too. Hope you get sorted x

• Posted

Also on my case after my op I had a backlash for 2 weeks, fibreglass cast for 6 weeks then boot for about three weeks x.

• Posted

The burning sensation is normal and part of your healing

I have screws and rod going through back of my ankle Broke in 3 places and was unstable

I had cast for almost 4 weeks then walking boot and crutches and I could bear 25% body weight

At 7-8 weeks I could go full body weight on boot and start PT

I still needed crutches with boot, very sore when I started full weight

However PT was very helpful and within a month of PT I was out of the boot and walking in sneakers

I still have some pain but much better Actually my ankle feels good its the rest of my body that hurts from walking different

Keep in mind your mental well being as well as physical healing

This group is an excellent resource

• Posted

Hey was it hard transitioning from using your crutches to walking without them? And how many weeks after surgery did you begin to walk by yourself? Was it hard to learn to walk without the walker? I use the a walker and I'm still in the boot but I practice at home without the boot but I'm scared to try walking without the walker..

• Posted

it really wasnt too bad getting rid of crutches

My PT told me she would have me going from 2 crutches to 1 to none

It happened within weeks of starting PT

Id say by 3rd week of PT I was without crutches and thrilled!

• Posted

Aw ok for some reason I be feeling like I'm going to fall if i try to walk without the walker! But this my third week so im hoping they start teaching me to walk without the walker this week.. I didnt think it was going to be this long though, its been 3 months since surgery... But thanks

• Posted

I broke 3 bones in my ankle. little over 3 month ago. I went from a splint to a walking cast ( promising I wouldnt walk on it ) because I had a wound that had to be attended too because of fracture blisters. I needed something that could be taken off easily 3 time a week to treat the would, but anyway in the course of the recovery these are some of the sensations I went through..not all at once...The worst was feeling my little toe was stuck and hitting the top of the cast. I would tell my hub to reach in and grab my toe and pull it away from cast. Within a second the feeling was back. Burning on top of foot, the feeling like I had blisters in places on by foot and sometimes the feeling of pins and needles sticking in my foot. And lastly a feeling like there's a tight rubber band around my ankle. Cheers!

• Posted

Hi, going on 9 weeks post op Achilles/ hageldorn syndrome bone debriedment bottom and back of heel... 10 days plaster 4 weeks fiberglass, 3 weeks boot which I stopped after 5 days...now slowly walk w cane. I complained of my toes from week one...which now has spread to heel. felt freezing/burning at the same time, was told it's the nerves recharging. It's still very painful n have been put on nerve meds but hasn't helped yet. I think it's horrible that alot of us were never told of this beforehand . I'm sorry your feeling this and I hope you get through this phase quickly. PT and my regular Dr who I now see for the pain said the foot is the worst and it can last up to 6 months to a year. my surgeon has said it's not his problem he fixed me. Its normal for it to keep swelling even now and I had 6 casts in all due to crazy pressure pain. no you are not alone

• Posted

yes there is a lot they dont tell you in the beginning. so glad this is here so we can talk to others who have actually been through it. it's also funny to hear that different doctors and different physical therapist tell different things.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! i have noticed today that my little toe is completely numb. It is free from plaster so assuming its from the nerve damage. I see my surgeon on Friday so hopefully I can wait out the pain and ask for something more comfortable.

This pain sucks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.