11 days post op total hip replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi

47 years old, left hip replacement

I'm currently 11 days post op from a total hip replacement, I'm struggling to sit in any chair for longer than a few minutes due to discomfort and numbness in bottom of my back and left buttock. Which is now beginning to be quiet waring as still feeling tired from the operation. Does anyone else or has anyone else experienced this.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had problems sitting, too, But, for me, it was better than laying down because my back and butt were getting much sorer there. I guess I had a tough time getting comfortable in general - I tried all the beds and chairs in the house. I ended up renting a wheelchair for just that purpose, for something to sit in - and that helped!
    • Posted

Thanks Megan lying down is better for me takes pressure off some how. Wonder how long it goes on for.
  • Posted

I'm 4 months out from my right hip surgery. I had to have 2 surgeries since my first one I dislocated it and had to have a revision. I still find it difficult to sit comfortably on chairs. It's that awful lump feeling I have that's bothersome. I had a wheelchair cause I had to be non weight bearing for six weeks after second surgery and I find that is my go to chair!! Lying down used to be good but now I get a lot of groin discomfort wound up lying on my good side. Cushions and pillows help. Hope you feel better soon and for a speedy recovery!! 🤠 LD

• Posted

Hi Linda. I am also 47. I had a left THR on October 17. I found it uncomfortable sitting for about 1 week mainly because of the strange feeling I had where the incision was made. I still have numbness around the wound but I am getting used to it.

Try getting yourself an inflatable cushion to sit on. That might help

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, that was exactly me 10 months ago, same age, same hip. I did end up buying a new armchair for our living room and found applying some pressure to the affected area helped ie rolled towel between hip and arm of chair. It did last a few weeks and i wondered how i would ever cope at work although i am not desk bound in my job. It does get much better and you are very early days. I am cycling and walking all over now. Occasional discomfort now but I think it's bursitis which isn't constant. Glad to hear laying down is okay. Enjoy a rest over Christmas and then get going with the more advanced physio exercises you will get given.

• Posted

Hi im currently 12 days post op and i only feel discomfort sitting down if i dont have proper back support so i have to put a pillow behind my back and make sure i have support of my lower back..i also sit on a pillow...mostly on the side where the incision is...for me its all about cushion and support
  • Posted

Yes, this is quite typical.

You may find a medium height bar stool more comfortable...the one higher than a chair but lower than a standard bsr stool.

Gel packs frozen should be your friend...I keep at least two in my freezer at all times. Gel packs don't leak, remain frozen longer, are flat without the points of ice cubes. You might consider a couple for your hip and and a couple for your back...this way two are in use and two are freezing.

Use crutches or even one crutch on the good side so that you minimize limping which will save your back from so much ache.

Healing is hard work for your body. Rest is just as important as exercise.

Give yourself a facial, chat with a friend, catch up on reading..

• Posted

Hi

I still have staples in unitl Wednesday so haven't put anything near my wound. But once out I'll ice etc. I'm still on two crutches at moment as not had any Physio so not sure when to move to one.

Trying to catch up with some Xmas shopping on line to distract me.

• Posted

hi sarah, 

warm welcome to the hippies forum ...

So sorry to hear about the discomfort you are in ...  

you know that you are early in recovery from a major invasive surgery, right -

an incision was made in order to get to the hip joint ...

The incision cuts small nerve fibers that run from inside to outside of the hip, so the skin to the outside of the cut always feels numb after hip surgery. Usually, this sensation will resolve over time and is part of the healing process -

did you get the posterior or anterior approach?  I had 2 THR surgeries the posterior approach used and the 2nd incision was made closer to buttock than the 1st one --- I was uncomfortable sitting for weeks, just because of the scar ...

how does your scar look?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

I had anterior the operation was more complicated than expected due to avascular necrosis. So ended up in theatre alot longer than expected and had the hip cemented due to damage and thin bones.

Can't see scar yet as still got staples until Wednesday.

X

• Posted

Hi Sarah, it is still early days. I am six months on and still don't like driving Or sitting for any length of time. My sofa was my best friend, lounging is fine!  My other best friends were gel packs and box sets!

I was lucky that it was the summer, I bought myself a v expensive sun lounger that I could raise on blocks, so managed to lounge read books and get a tan!  

I promise it will all get a lot better. I have got my energy back now and even run up and down stairs!  

Best advice is rest and give it time. 

Sending healing fairy dust. 💫??🌟

• Posted

Tiredness is a sign your body is using all the energy to repair itself after this brutal operation.  At 11 months post-revision I am still not back to full stamina levels - it really takes it out of you, but we also all recover at different rates.
  • Posted

Hi I know exactly what you are saying I am in the same position painful to sit for to long, get very tired trying to walk around no happy medium..but we will get there.

Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.