11 days post TKR and worried

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 11 days post surgery and am worried about my knee.  It has been very swollen and painful but Yesterday ithe swelling seemed to change shape and there is one patch on ithe side which is really very, very hot (but not red).  

I'm trying hard with the exercises but the sliding and bending one is only really very slight and I am still unable to raise my leg.  In fact, the only way I can get in and out of bed is by manually lifting my leg with a band.

i am taking regular meds, resting and icing.  My husband thinks it is because I have had years of a bent leg and now the muscles have had it and can't get used to it straight.  I'm just worried sad

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Everything has to realign and heal. Its an ongoing sit tissue/ blood flow thing that takes time and consistant work. I wouldn't worry about the red spot unless you see drainage. Try elevating your leg about 4" above your heart and use ice but make sure you have it wrapped in a towel. Sometimes a bare icebag burns the skin
  • Posted

I was 11 days post op before I could raise my leg just keep trying it will happen with the sliding and bending exercise the physio told me to use a dressing gown belt or something similar under the foot and pull the knee up which helped me. It sounds pretty normal you will experience  many different sensations in the knee as you recover if you are worried just contact your gp take care x
  • Posted

Thank you, I'll try the belt trick.  I always wrap ice packs before putting them on and I did try one to put my leg higher, but it hurt so much I couldn't stay there.

i just feel at the end of my tether, bursting into tears a little too often

• Posted

Hang in there Susan the main pain I had was the stretching of soft tissue and muscles behind my knees. The Physio in hospital shared the same info with me as your husband has said. After a long time of standing in a warped way to offset the joint pain, all of those tissues are now in trauma trying to get back to normal stretch.  Focus on the straightening exercises to help out, trying to push just that little extra every day.  Good luck

ali

• Posted

11 days is really soon to be expecting anything other than that.  I couldn't lift my leg for 6 weeks without a hoist!  The muscles have been cut, bone chopped off and screws hammered in to the to and bottom and also a foreign body inserted so it's going to be a roller coaster of different things trying to recover from such a major operation.  Hang in there, ice and elevate like everyone says keep on top with your pain relief and resign yourself to a few more weeks before you feel anything like your old self.  It is a journey no one understands unless they've been through it and you are about where I was at that stage.  I'm now at 12 weeks and relatively pain free apart from at night and at the back of the knee where the tendons are protesting at being stretched again!  You'll be fine. Chin up keep us posted xx
  • Posted

Morning Susan.  11 days post op is very very early days and you truly must not expect too much of yourself.  Everything you have heard and read about a TKR is true - it's an invasive and totally traumatic op. and tears flow more frequently (yes even for the men) than one ever dreamt possible BUT it does get better trust me.  Little by little, day by day, tiny improvements take place but those first few weeks are hell because the entire body has been yanked around don't forget.  The pain in the operated leg is in a class of its own so take your meds regularly and try and tie your exercises in with your meds to help you move your leg around more freely.  I am a 71 year old lady who is now, unbelievably, 4 months post op following a right leg TKR.  I also have MS (not wheelchair bound) and found the exercises mega hard but my husband and our family were wonderfully encouraging and slowly things got easier and most folk on the forum will tell you that six weeks post op is the "magic time" when exercises become so much easier and the tears stop.  Listen to your body ALL THE TIME Susan as it's been through a lot and will tell you when to rest - which is most of the time for a while and that's normal so don't fight it.  Ice packs are super too of course plus nutritious but simple food and lots of water to drink to help internal healing.  Relax and go with the agonizing flow safe in the knowledge you will end up with a wonderful new knee that's pain free.  Patience is the keyword.  Take care Susan.
  • Posted

Thanks guys, you have put my mind at rest a little - it's just such an unknown, not knowing how far my leg should be moving - I know everyone is different but there must be a minimum expectation?  Also, how long are you expected to have to apply ice to the pain for - I don't mean for the 5 or 10 minutes at a time, but how many days/weeks?  I'm still raising my leg when sitting - is it best to do this or is it better to put it on the floor to try and encourage bend?  

I think there should be a TKR been there, done it handbook published from all the questions on this forum - I know I'd buy one!!

• Posted

As far as icing the leg......as long as there is swelling. You may feel like 90 days is good and 2 weeks later, for a one unknown reason you'll have tighten e as and swelling and you are back with the ice bag. The ice is strictly to red i 's the swelling because the swelling is causing the aching and pains. It will take a year or longer for nerves to mend as they are the slowest part of the damage to heal.
  • Posted

Hi Susan, this may sound nuts, but I bought a child's skateboard to help me with the slide and bend. I was struggling doing this right at the start and the skateboard had been a great help. Also I did not get the leg lift until 8 weeks, it will eventually come with the exercise.
    • Posted

Hi Carol. That's not nuts (well maybe a bit) but  I read that somewhere else so I got one off ebay in preparation.  But When sitting I can't pick my foot up to put it on!  I have found today that I can do it gently a little bit when standing, so may have to do this for now.

I saw my consultant tonight as I was concerned about a very hot patch and asked him about the lift.  He lifted my leg in the air, told me to flex my foot towards me and then dropped my leg - only an inch or two before he caught it, but OMG it hurt!!  He said I'd be fine because he felt my muscles tense and hold for a second or two!!  Oh My, have I hit the pain killers tonight!!

• Posted

I remember at about week 3, my daughter heard me screeching and came running into my room - I had literally dropped my leg off the bed, she almost wet herself laughing at the thought of me dropping my leg. It hit the ground with a thud, I was more careful the next time, lol.
    • Posted

Haha ..... Almost!!  he obviously knew he was safe as I was incapable of kicking him in the ***** !!!  I had all on staying polite and keeping a mouthful of expletives from escaping.
  • Posted

susan definatly early days i was thesame for awhile with lifting the leg manualy it was the only way and yes the belt of the dressing gown to lift it and after a few goes loosen yor grip bit by bit every day and you will see you wont have to lift it so hard after awhile at first it will feel like an ankor but keep doing it dont expect too much at the start ,but make sure you also bend try a just wearing a sock on the floor (wooden) if possible so you slide your foot later a toy with wheels works great or even if you have a swing in the garden or playground sit on it and move it slowly at first  all these helped me with bend and straightening because that is where the pain comes from loss of motion and tears are part and parcel of it but nobody told you about it keep faith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.