11 months and counting

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi fellow patients. I had my right knee replaced 11 months ago and glad I did. It’s so worth it. I went through all the usual suspects. Pain, frustration, depression but that all comes and goes. It took me a few months to get off the tramadol and muscle relaxant and it did cause a few withdrawal symptoms but short lived, a few days. 

It took me months  to get to 120 but I made it after about 8 months. The straight leg was never a issue. 

In hindsight I would do the following.  

Do the exercises more diligently through the pain. I was so afraid of hurting the implant I’d baby it. 

Elevate more often. It really prevents swelling. 

Don’t compare myself with everyone else and like Chico says “don’t listen to anyone else” We are unique each one of us. 

This website was invaluable to me. I’d read it every morning and feel so encouraged. Chico’s post I’d read over and over. Hang in there fellow patients, you’ll get there. 👍

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Duckfan how are you now. It's good to hear from one of last years people.

Yes that is all good advice. I must admit I did say to my husband that I understand the new joint isn't made of glass! So this time around I have tried to be a bit more proactive . 

Good to hear from you again & you're doing so well.

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Great news!

Wonderful encouragement! You are a couple of months ahead of me.

Happy New year to you!

I am enjoying my new lease of life! Just need to keep a healthy lifestyle now and enjoy reaping the benefits of my surgery!

I used to think about my knee operation as having had a massive dental crown stuck and drilled into my knee! I used to be a dental nurse years ago and it helped me a lot to think about it this way...gave me confidence to know it was very well cemented in place because I could visualise all the dental crowns I had seen fitted! 😃 not quite the same of course, as orthopaedic surgery rather major compared to a tooth being drilled and a crown fitted, but it helped to normalize it for me! And it did stop me from worrying that it wasn't strong enough!

• Posted

Hi Duckfan, I had my left knee done, it will be a year Jan.25th. I was measured last month at 123 Rom and knee is straight. The knee still feels stiff however and uncomfortable a bit when bending it. I can walk miles and go up & down stairs well.  It does not feel like a normal knee and probably never will. I am some what disappointed & thought it would feel a lot better by now. My surgeon left his practice and moved to the Carolina’s so I will contact another surgeon for my 1 year check up. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.