11 months Post op arthroscopic pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been in alot of pain since having my surgery 11 months ago. Still very stiff, feels like nerve pain that travels up my neck and down my arm to my fingers. Anyone have any problems long after the surgery? Feels like I'm going backwards instead of forward 😭

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also meant to say it's my left shoulder.

• Posted

Hi Lyndsay.  I am 18 months post op from arthroscopic surgery for a rotator cuff tear.  My doctor told me that I could expect to see improvement from 12-18 months.  Anyway, here it is 18 months and I'm still in pain, though of course not nearly the amount of pain I was in prior to and immediately following surgery.  My pain also travels up my neck and my jaw.  My bicep area also hurts.  I think I'm probably not stretching those areas enough prior to or even after exercise . (I golf).  Sometimes I'm sure it's the way I sleep.  I don't know how old you are, but I'll be 69 next month and I attribute some of my pain to arthritis and the fact that there are 5 screws in my shoulder.  When I was hurting quite allot, I would do the movements I couldn't do with my rotator cuff tear and that didn't hurt, so I felt reasonable confident my surgery was intact.  I'm not a doctor, but maybe you'll feel better seeing your surgeon.  I hope you feel better soon.  

• Posted

The neck pain that goes down to your fingers is probably cervical pain. I'm not completely sure how it's related to the shoulder but  my shoulder is still very stiff, so when I try to lift my arm, my shoulder lifts instead and this puts stress on my neck and causes neck pain. You may want to look for a good massage therapist, someone who is familiar with Myofascial trigger points. There are ways that you can do self massage also

I do cervical exercises, apply ice to my neck along with a peppermint balm similar to tiger balm  and right now, besides wall crawls, I am sticking to passive exercises lifting my arm until the stiffness goes away. I do know that I need to keep it moving. 

Look up cervical spine exercises and self massage myofascial release for neck pain on google & youtube and see if the exercises help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.