11 months post TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

It's coming up to 11 months since my TKR. I've been doing well, still a bit stiff going up and down stairs but walking long distances is fine.

Recently though I've noticed a grinding noise coming from my knee when I bend it. Does anyone know whether this is something I should be concerned about?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, Mary. This is a concern. Please check with a doctor. The grinding sound comes from our knee. When the cartilage has a problem.

I am going to try a new treatment as the allopathy did not help me . I can't walk properly. So I am going to try Siddha treatment. One of my friend tried this treatment.

Please take care. Keep praying.

• Posted

the cartilage has been removed if you've had a knee replacement so its not doing the grinding, but definitely get evaluated by the surgeon to find out what is going on.

• Posted

I suggest a chat with your GP who can then refer you back to your orthopaedic consultant if it's felt necessary; if you aren't experiencing pain with this grinding sensation then it doesn't sound serious, however it's always best to be sure by getting professional advice. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, it's 2 years since I had my TKR.

Having difficult getting up with a crushy/grating sound plus sore at the point where my knee meets my tigh. Needing to lean on Some thing to get to stand.

Some times feels like a rusty hinge 🤔..

Other wise no pain.

The interesting thing is my hubby is 8 days post TKR and having no difficulty getting up.

So I'm starting to realise I should be better then I am.

Today he had a hospital app so I took the opportunity to ask a nurse about my knee and she felt my knee cap was grating.

She also suggested I ask the surgeon's opinion when my husband has his 6 week check. We had the same surgeon.

In the meantime i've been googling and found this

"Patellar crepitus and clunk following posterior cruciate substituting total knee arthroplasty is a persistent problem with a reported incidence as high as 14%. The development of this complication necessitates additional surgery in some patients"

Will report back when I get to talk to surgeon.

• Posted

Good Luck, I hope your surgeon can help you. I think it's also worth remembering that we each heal at a different rate and possibly in a different way to others, your husband is a good example of this so please don't think you need to try harder, just concentrate on mending and getting better in your own way, perhaps making little improvements and setting yourself slightly higher goals. This means that although progress may seem to you to be slow, at least you will be progressing and it may be at a better, faster rate than you realise. I haven't had a TKR myself, not yet anyway though I'm aware I will need it in the not too distant future, but I do have a little knowledge from working in an orthopedic ward for a while where my main job was in helping patients recuperate before being discharged.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.