11 mos later

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am almost 11 mos post op. Starting this week I have been able to get a deeper knee bend when doing heel slides and going down stairs today was the easiest it has ever been. 

Usually, heel slides are lime starting over every day but now the bend comes quicker. I am hoping this is a very good sign. Going as deep as I can with relative ease has left caused a little discomfort at night not much just weird sensations in leg but I am thinking this might be normal. A little numbness tingling just different feelings. 

Anyways, just needed to share and so grateful to everyone who has helped on this long journey which I know is not over but I feel like might be thru the woods. I know it's taken me a long time to recovery lol 😘

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robin, I am 79 and had my right knee replacement exactly the same time as you.

I had a good bend straight away, and a perfectly straight leg.  Maybe some people take more exercise than others (like walking) which I have always done,  I don't sit around much and so my knee and leg muscles were probably fairly strong.  I did have a lot of pain for up to 8 months, and then it suddenly settled down and I  dont have much to complain about now.  Although the outside of my right knee is still numb, but I feel a little sensation may be returning.   Keep up the exercises, they are so important.  Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your post! I was an exerciser before surgery but had tremendous swelling I think that slowed me down and apparently I am a wimp lol who knew? I who a lot of walking now started really getting going in March after months of course of painful PT and walking but now it’s eassier almost like overnight smile 

i wish you too continued success in your recovery 😘

• Posted

Congratulations!!!!!   I needed to hear some good knee news this morning.  I am six months post TKR and still struggling with going down stairs.  I know for some of us it takes longer than others.  Reading this site has help me have more patience that I normally would of...but some days I just want to be "normal" again.

• Posted

Oh my gosh I totally understand wanting to be normal again. I can now say confidently it does come! I was just one of the slower ones but even with that know it will come. 

Thanks for post post and I wish you continued success on your journey. Remember it’s a marathon and you will be fine. 😘

• Posted

Well done!  It does seem to be a matter of time. I am 1 year post right PKR and 4 months post left PKR and even with a personal trainer at the gym twice a week and physio exercises at home most days I still cannot walk downstairs properly. I can go up no problem but come down like a crab!

I am just waiting for the time I have no pain on walking, 30 minutes is my limit before pain jumps to 8/10 and I need to take pain killers.

Unfortunately it would seem I am one of the slow recoverers as it would seem are you. Fingers crossed everything gets much better for you now passing this hurdle.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your post! So need encouragement. I was beginning to think I would never make progress but I have. Wishing you all the best 😘

• Posted

Yep, but you did it!

Congratulations!

I am few months ahead at 16 months post op. Really had very noticeable improvement going down stairs last month..was surprised...thought no more improvements would happen.

Mega pleased. Want to walk everywhere all the time and i can! 😁😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.