11 weeks now....

Posted , 12 users are following.

This has been such a long journey, holy crow!

I'm still doing my exercises but not seeing to much improvement on bending. A little but not enough in my eyes. Suggestions?

I am practicing with one crutch now. I have enough bend to walk. So now I have to do it! I know it's a mind thing, but I'm scared. But I'm also sick of my life not being normal. So many different thoughts right now! I want to do it but I'm scared!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tammy, it is a difficult journey indeed. It's not easy when others say how quickly/easily they were out living life again, is it. We've all got our own stories and while we might all have ideas, remember, those are only the things that worked well for us. Keeping that in mind, here is my story. I was living in India and knew I had a visa run that I legally had to make 12 weeks after my surgery. I also got around my city on a moped (110cc scotter). I was told I could give it a go at 6 weeks and I did. But oh my gosh...I realized my bend wasn't as good in reality as I had made it out to be in my mind. These two things really motivated me. I'd also seen a video about TKR that showed a lady bouncing down the stairs. I wanted that, but better. I noticed she did this sorta side hop and I wanted to do it with a normal bend so that I didn't look like someone who had had a TKR. It was complete torture, but I would very, very slowly and precisely walk up and down about 10 stairs. I won't lie, it hurt like holy heck. I wasn't dealing with just one knee, I had both replaced at the same time. As someone who grew up involved in sports and the no pain no gain mentality, I knew a good pain from a bad pain...and yes, that can be a very fine line. I found it easier to plug through this while I was on my tramadol. Ice was my best friend and I never did much of a  strenuous work out without applying ice afterwards.

One more thing I did, when lounging in bed (this was my go to position because my livingroom furniture was a little too low to the ground to easily get in and out of, but my bed was high off the ground) was alternate between having my legs out straight (which really helped me achieve the 0 degree) and pulling them up to a bend. I'd start with a comfortable bend and then pull it in a little, holding for a 10 count. Then pull it in a little more and hold again. And one more time, pull it in a little more and hold for 10. The little more means just that...sometimes it might have not even looked like I pulled it in, but it felt like it, which was good enough for me. I would then back it out to the comfortable place and sit like that for a while.

I hope you can find some activities that make it easier for you to get a bend going.

-Mo

• Posted

Thank you for the words of encouragement and advice. I feel I'm making progress. It is little but it's progress.

• Posted

Tell me about it! I'm only 6 weeks post tkr but SO impatient to have my life back. I had no idea how depressing it could get to be. My bend is 95 unstressed and 100 stressed but it seems like it has taken forever. I tried starting to use a cane instead of my walker this week but only use it for short periods as it doesn't feel stable enough yet. Doctor visit yesterday and he said all is well that now is the approximately 4 month slower recovery period. He wants me to get my bend to 120, told me manual manipulation is an option but said it was too early that my number is pretty normal at this stage, that I should just keep working at it. I bought a new device and booklet on Amazon called the flex bar. I've only had it two days but it seems like a good idea and am hoping it helps me get my bend. It is easy to use. Still seeing physical therapy too. It is a long, long road and without good support it can get depressing. This group has helped me realize that and know I am doing okay that this is normal for now. I guess we just keep working at it and take the slow victories as they come. When it's over I hope we can smile. I stil need a left hip replacement though but not even thinking of doing it until this knee is doing much better.

• Posted

It is a long road to recovery. Little by little everyday. Everyone on this group have been awesome. Off to do my 4'oclock exercises ??

• Posted

Hi Tammy, sorry, I was waffling on about this and that, and didn't realise you  had a broken patella!!  That sounds sore.   I hope you feel better soon, and continue to make a recovery. ??

• Posted

That's totally fine. I guess a broken patella isn't a common thing.

• Posted

Tammy, before my TKR in June, I had a fractured patella about 3 years ago. Fell on concrete deck while getting out of the pool. I think initially the fracture hurt more than my tkr surgery! I cried it hurt so badly! I didn't need surgery then and was put in a knee brace for 3 months. I was not supposed to put any weight on that leg at all, but gradually I did a little out of necessity as I had no help. I am hopeless with crutches, used them a bit, hopped around a bit balancing myself with the edge of my brace touching the ground. When the brace was removed after 3 months, I was not given PT and my leg was a bit stiff and didn't bend well at first, but normal activities gradually made it get back to normal, until I tripped and fell on it again in April this year. This time I had several meniscus tears, some torn cartilage and along with osteoarthritis in the knee it was a mess and doctor said I should do tkr as I would need surgery anyway. So that is what I did, June 9th. This time I have PT and it's the hardest part of this recovery other then having lost all stamina after being off my feet for 2 months beforehand and then the surgery. I'm still having problems with being tired all the time, but I know I am lucky to not have much pain except during and right after PT. trying to get that bend! I've gotten to 100 degrees at 6 weeks but need to get to 120 and it is hard work, more then I had imagined. I know I expect too much too soon and I will get there, it's hard to be patient. I have a pool but just got the okay from my doctor to use it, used it for first time yesterday. It's a bit tough to walk in because it gets deep quickly but I walked back and forth across. It's also very easy to lift and draw your knee up to your chest, which is good stretching exercise. My PT therapist suggested I try partial squats which I will tomorrow. Good luck with your broken patella. Did you need surgery? I was lucky to not need it when I had that but I'm convinced the fractured knee a few years ago contributed to me needing the tkr now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.