11 weeks on Citalopram - weird head sensation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking 20 mg of Citalopram for 11 weeks and I'm getting weird head sensations. My anxiety spikes when I feel that. I also feel spaced out a lot. Anyone feel like this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It usually takes about 4-6 weeks to feel the full benefits from cit and the side effects to pass. may be this med doesn't suit you, probably best to go back to gp.

• Posted

Hi side effects should have subsided by now.... I used it 3 weeks then had to taper off as side effects were terrible.... its doesn't work for everyone maybe doc should give you something else.....but don't just stop it you will have to taper off slowly a 1/4 a week less....

My point why drink something that makes you feel worse....

• Edited

Morning Jorge,

Yes!  Well I used to and can relate to those old sensations.

As Cita has a repair job to do on your brain, emotions and inner self these are some of the side effects you can experience.  Added with good old anxiety the spaced feeling gave me a kind of outer body feel, somewhat detached from myself.  I believe, now after all these months, being levelled out in a very good place that, it was all part of the repairs taking place in my stressed out head.

Which brings me nicely to my next point and that is you cannot put a time to these repairs.  We are not only uniqually different, but came here for different reasons and, of course, Cita has to repair each and every one of us accordingly.  Given time with an amount of patience this sticking plaster for the brain will do its job!  

You must also remember that you may not experience what others do or the intensity if you do, so try not to over think or worry about  these, whether you're getting them or not (or wonder why not!).

A weird side effect to take into consideration is that Cita can cause anxiety to be able to treat it, it sort of gets it out into the open to be able to see what needs to be done.  All along you wonder what the ???? is going on and all you can realistically do is go along with whatever side effects you may have or get.

I, personally, always recommend an emergency duvet on standby in your favourite room outside the bedroom.  I found this extremely beneficial for the days I made it out of bed, but that was about it.  So, I crawld under and curled up and shut the world out, cacooned I felt safe and strong enough to let Cita do these things to me and I'm glad I trusted it.

Of course, I could not have done it without a great GP, Fiancee, some understanding Family and Friends and the people here!  

So, Welcome to The Club!

Keep reading, however, try not to over worry or over think remember learning is a good thing, but don't over load with other people's problems.  Keep posting, no matter how insignificant it may feel, we have all been here before you.  Mind you some are just newly joining too, therefore there's a certain amount of responsibility that comes with helping.  You'll find yer feet soon, don't worry!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks David. I needed that. You are correct patience is key. I have good days but then ruin them by thinking about when I will feel bad again. I have to learn to relax. Thanks again!
    • Posted

STOP RIGHT THERE JORGE!

Have good days and only have good days, but when you have bad days just remember you have and will again experience more and more good days, that's the ticket!

A part of the Shinto belief system is that you should never concern yourself with what has not happened because, no one knows what will come to happen.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Regards,

David

(I got the Shinto thing from the book Shogun, believe it or not, plus a few other mental exercises which work fer moi!)

• Posted

Thank you so much! I will look into Shogun. I know I have to take it one day at a time and be patient.

Have a wonderful weekend David.

• Posted

Hey Jorge. I was wondering if your strange head sensations went in the end? I'm experiencing this and kind of feels like a tension headache with some sinus issues but when I look up and down I get a strange feeling. Almost a dizzy feeling which makes my anxiety flair up. I hope you see this and reply.

• Posted

This is exactly how I feel today after my 1st  does of 20mg of cit. and thiamine is making me panic thinking something is seriously wrong with my head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.