11 Weeks Post Ankle ORIF

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broke my ankle and had the surgery to repair it which required the use of a plate and screws, I'm currently 10 weeks post op. I have been doing physio and using an air boot for nearly 6 weeks and was told I can fully weightbear as long as I'm wearing that and using crutches.

The normal swelling has been a lot worse over the last few days but appears to be getting better, I was wondering if anyone else has been able to feel part of the plate underneath the incision when they run a hand over the area?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Broke right ankle almost 20 years ago and can still feel plate and screws. Broke left ankle March this year. Really can't feel plate on this leg. May be due to residual swelling and numbness from damaged nereves.

Still attempting to walk without walker. In Oklahoma, USA. My doc had me in walking boot from surgery and non weight bearing. Was released to 25% weight bearing for 3 weeks. Then about 2 weeks ago when I was released to weight bearing as tolerated. Was told I could take boot off, did, and have never put back on. Pain is significant with efforts to put full weight and with use for long distances, including walking my hallway back and forth to increase tolerance.

Best wishes on ur recovery. I have gotten a lot of confirmation and assurance from this site.

• Posted

That's bad luck you broke the other as well sounds like your doing great though

I've only just started feeling some pain when walking, granted it's not too bad but as they say no pain no gain. I'm hoping to be told to fully weight-bear next week.

Good luck with your recovery I 've got a lot from reading this site too its been very reassuring over the weeks.

• Posted

I broke my ankel 6 months ago just before Christmas and yes I can feel the plate. In warm weather as now there is no pain although still swells by evening depending how long I have been on my legs during the day.

In cold weather I get pain in the area which I assume is something to do with the metal and affecting the nerves.  Can walk well now.  Best wishes for your recovery which does take time.

• Posted

I sure can feel mine.  Can also count half the screws as they are so close to skin.  The plate almost has a vibration feeling when I touch/massage it.  Some pulling while walking too.  But told it was normal and continued massage will help with scar tissue and pulling/tight sensation.  It is bothersome though.  I'm in about week 14, about 4 WBAT.  (Keep loosing track of time, seems forever.)  More swelling upon increased WB normal and gets better as you strengthen muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc.  Keep with physio.  Sounds like your doing great.  

• Posted

That's good to know I was hoping that others notice it to I was fairly sure its normal but I was worried incase it was signs of something more sinister. I know what you mean regarding the time it does feel like forever. Sounds like your doing good too, all the best with your continued recovery.

• Posted

I just have done 2 days of PT and already there is a big difference. It is true what everyone has been saying about PT and how quickly one improves. I am 12 weeks + and WBAT with boot. Some of my exercises toe lifts and marching are without the boot. We are travelling in our rv so I have been walking around it without the boot. The boot will go completely at 13 weeks. As everyone has told me there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's all about PT!

• Posted

That's great to hear Carol.  I also feel PT was my biggest milestone and I've only had 4 sessions.  Stood on tip toes on BF in pool today without holding on, first time (gotta celebrate the little things).  So pushed and did a bunch.  Very sore now, but feel so accomplished knowing happier days will be here again soon.  Bet your gonna have a great time traveling in your RV!! My best to you and yours for a fun trip, opps, I mean ride. ;-)          

• Posted

It is right that PT makes a difference I was the same and I have noticed an improvement almost daily since starting.

You haven't got long until the boot is gone then that's great and it's another milestone on top of what you've already achieved! ! Keep at the PT it makes a big difference to any orthopaedic surgery (in my experience ) and celebrate every move forward it's an achievement and a step closer to normality!!

• Posted

Hi Chris, yes I can also feel the plate underneath the incision. It does not bother me, I broke my ankle 18 weeks ago. I am walking well and my limp is hardly noticeable now, also no pain and just about no swelling. Just a bit stiff at time. If the plate doesn't bother you leave it, if it does you may have to have it removed once your ankle has healed. Hope you recover speedily.

• Posted

My Physio can . I choose not too. Yukk!

Grateful I have plate and screws, thank them for supporting my foot.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Yes I can feel the plate and the upper two screw heads on the plate along the outside of the ankle, but you can't see them if you look. It feels really weird and kind of shocking at first, but you kind of get used to it (18-1/2 weeks along). Feeling pretty darned good at this stage. Can walk and stand most the day, but can not run yet at all. Just learned how to walk pretty normally downstairs. It took a lot of foot strength to be able to do that one. It is nice to feel pretty normal again finally! Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.