11 weeks post op - feeling good!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just thought I’d add my experience with bunion surgery as I know recovery can get VERY frustrating. I had a lapidus procedure on my left foot August 25. Surgery went great- after the first 5 days virtually pain free. The actual recovery was an experience though in itself. I was non weight bearing for 4 weeks which doesn’t sound long until you’re the one in the middle of it! Made it through - was released to walk in the air boot for 2’weeks which it felt wonderful to put my foot down on the ground! My whole body was stiff by then from not being able to walk on both feet. At 6 weeks I took off the boot and tried a regular shoe. I overdid it on my foot because I was impatient and acquires tendinitis in the bottom of my foot- don’t overdo it when you’re released to walk!! After 4 weeks of physical therapy for that I’m doing good. Every day I can see a little more improvement- don’t get discouraged- build your leg and foot strength back slowly! Take some physical therapy if you can to get your toes working again- it also helps out with swelling. It’s so nice to look down at my foot and see a straight toe! Good luck to all of you- be kind to your body and be patient with the healing... 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had bunion surgery one week ago. It seems mine was similiar, no weight bearing so I have crutches and a knee scooter. I love the knee scooter it frees up the hands when not moving. I must say the pain is significant but with medicine managable. I love my doctor though he is a podiatrist. I was referee by someone who had a successful surgery.

Cons, being laid up, pain, not walking, not being able to shower

Pros ...hopefully the outcome

I had to have surgery, my foot pain was daily and affecting my gait which impacted my knee and hip. Also I waited years and started to see the second toe being affected.

Asked myself...is it going to get better or worse? Tried otc splints, gel separators, inserts, chiropractor, pt, foot exercises....nothing fixed it.

Surgery immediately corrected the joint in the middle of my foot.

Now I wait.

Tip ice and elevate.

Still taking pain meds.

Did you have any foot exercises prescribed by doctor?

I am from Wisconsin, age 52.

• Posted

I am 10 days post op.

I wouldn't be able to drive, it is non weight bearing for 4 weeks.

Follow instructions completely.

Wear the surgical shoe at all times of moving around ( I didn't do this and set myself backwards in healing with a minor fall)

Prepare ahead, food easy to grab, ice packs, medicine, get support like someone who can drive you to appointments and help you with home things. like getting g you an ice pack and food the first few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.