11 weeks post op today!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, hope you are all doing well and progressing with your recovery.

I am now 11 weeks post op and preparing for return to work on Sunday morning. Now that it's almost upon me I'm a bit worried about coping.

I am sure my anterior repair is completely healed, no pain or discomfort and no leaking.

Not as confident that my posterior repair is quite right. Everything is working great, going regular everyday once a day (sometimes twice). But sometimes it feels heavy and bloated, can still be uncomfortable when on feet too long. Still can't lift more than 2 litres and can't carry that weight for any length of time.

Doing my pelvic floor exercises regularly throughout the day. Giving the swimming a rest this week. Increasing the walking time and just trying to go about normal daily tasks pre-op without tackling anything too heavy.

Shouldn't be too worried Sunday mornings are quiet so will not be rushing about, and usually have my break early rather than later. They will get me a seat at till probably about 3 hours into shift .

I will be careful at the checkout not to lift anything heavy and when packing will only help pack light items and will squeeze and lift where nessesary.

Will see consultant on Monday, desperate to know that all is well. Have a few question about long term. Such as: How long can I expect the repairs to last, will amount of scar tissue prevent rerepair, starting low impact exersise ( other than swimming ), and will I be OK for going on holiday.

My recovery this time round has been so much better informed this time due to this forum which had kept me on the right recovery path and been a constant reminder to take things slowly and carefully. It had been good to have other patients with similar repairs to compare experiences with and reassure each other. The support received has been tremendous and gratefully received.

Most importantly would like to say thank you to Matron who is always there to advise and keep us all better informed on this long recovery path.

I hope I am able to finally say next week that I've been given all clear by consultant and that I coped very well at work.

Good luck and happy healing, look after you self as always,

Phyl x💖💖💖

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Good luck Phil I hope all goes well and keep us informed I'm sure we'll all be interested to know the outcome, like you I've found this forum so helpful, it's such a pity that we're not told what to expect when we sign up for surgery, especially as we all seem to be asking similiar questions. X
    • Posted

Thank you Carolyn.

Absolutely agree, but not sure what they can really tell us , although I think they really shouldn't say 6 weeks as hardly anyone is compete recovered in that time if anyone at all and most of us need the 22 weeks if not much longer.

That 6 weeks misinforms employers! Look after yourself!

Phyl x☺

• Posted

phyl I can't believe you're 11 weeks already, the time has passed so quickly, for me anyway I don't know whether it did for you. A posterior repair always takes longer to heal than an anterior repair so that's quite normal. I hope everything goes well on Sunday, I expect it will be good to get back to some normality but remember to take things slowly and keep in touch with us all here on the forum xx
    • Posted

Thanks Matron will let you all know how it all goes! phyl x 💖
  • Posted

Good luck Phyl...  The time does seem to have flown.  I'm 12 weeks now and looking to go back to work in 2 weeks.  I've managed to negotiate part time so will be taking it easy and listening to my body.  I think without this forum I would have been tempted to rush into going back too soon and doing too much.

I still don't feel completely right yet but have made so much progress and feel pretty good.  I have not had a post op check yet but have one with the consultants nursing team towards the end of June.  Better late than never I suppose.

Very best wishes and lets know how you get on. xx

• Posted

Thank you SSM,

Thats good news that your getting to go back part time.

Best of luck, and keep up the PF exersise,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

I'm 4.5 weeks and due to see my consultant next week, supposedly to decide if I can go back to work, initially given 6weeks, wonder what she'll say, seems 6 weeks is not long enough
    • Posted

It's very unrealistic. Even allowing for different repairs and different sutures and different healing times. Their will be a minimum time for initial area around the stitches to heal and it takes much longer for deeper tissues to heal. Meanwhile the pelvic floor bears a lot of weight even without doing anything as it supports all the pelvic organs and bears down pressure from the upper abs.

Sometimes I think too much pressure on getting people back to work at expense of proper recovery time!

I would assume that stronger pre-menopausal women will recover a bit quicker than post-menopausal women who generally have weaker ligaments, allowing for exceptions.

Don't be pushed into rushing back too quick, take the time you need to recover!

Phyl x☺☺☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.