11 weeks post TKR, can't straighten knee.

Posted , 19 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi, I know this has been mentioned in the past, I think I commented on it, but I am now beginning to stress about this. My recovery seemed OK until about 7 weeks post op when I realised that I couldn't straighten my knee. I don't know if the swelling had stopped me noticing this before, but at my 6 week check, all was well and my surgeon was happy. Now I can't walk properly, uphill is ok, but downhill is a struggle and painful, also back of knee really stiff and painful after even a short sit down.

I attend physio weekly and have been advised to hold off from all usual exercises, can use the static bike, bend and extend my knee and use the bottom stair as a "step" for exercises. I can also use the pool when I can get there, but there seems little or no improvement.

Has anyone else experienced this at 11 weeks or beyond, or have any advice that has worked for them.

I am in the UK.

Thanks.

3 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 11 weeks Tricia and having the same problem.  Bend 117 and really good but straight not good.  Saw surgeon for check at 8 weeks and though generally pleased said straight had to be sorted quickly or I would have a lot of trouble later.  I should say that I have spinal stenosis (severe narrowing of spinal canal) have had neurosurgery at one level two years ago and both neurosurgeon and orthopod think I will have to have more.  Surgeon thinks if I do not get the staight sorted it will give me even more pain with my back.

I do wish that someone, the physios when I was an inpatient, the surgeon earlier or the physios I have been going to since had thought to tell me that the straight was actually more important than the bend and harder to achieve because I thought it was the other way round and have spent a huge amount of time on bend and much less on the straight.  Yes I have always done the exercise on the bed since well before op in fact since the training session at the hospital but clearly not enough.

I am very interested in what you say Cheryl and think there is a lot of truth in it.  Although my knee problem has commenced jus after the neurosurgery surgeon says it has been caused by the back problem and my left leg taking all the strain from a completely closed up spinal canal plus a herniated disc.   One does not realise how closely connected the back,hips and knees are.   Oh and apparently surgeon says that both hips will need doing too as the problem with the back has caused tthem to move.  

This is why I am desperate to sort the straight as quickly as possible.  Thanks to all the suggestions on here a few days earlier.

• Posted

I agree angela52217, the stress was all on bending the knee with me too. It was only when 7 weeks down the line I realised there was a problem with straightening it that it became apparent what a problem that was!!

i have been taking little bits from the forum . . .  ( not too much as I'm supposed to be on a week of minimum exercises!!) but hanging the leg over the bed after massaging behind my knee seems to help a little.

keep on going angela . . . .    we'll make it eventually!!!

• Posted

You are right.  All emphasis on bending the knee at hospital physio.  That's why we're all having similar probs.  obviously all countries need to learn mother about knee replacement recovery.  Terri speaks of wearing out of shoe on one side.  I found the operated leg is now 1cm longer.  Apparently quite common.  If you have leg pain check it out.  My weight e

was going on the operated

• Posted

Got cut off...leg, then other hip taking a beating as I leaned on the shorter leg.  Got inserts for the heel and it makes a difference.  Also for sore muscles take magnesium.  Doc says increase til u get loose stools then back off a bit.  Really helps.
  • Posted

You still have a long way to go and patience will have to become your new best friend. Instead if making an issue/chore out of straightening your knee, try this, whenever (whereever) you sit, lift your leg; toes pointing to your face,Lift your leg as high as is comfortable, the higher you go the more you will be able to feel your muscles contract in your thighs. These are the muscles you need to concentrate on. Massage your ligaments behind your knee as these play as these play an important part too
  • Posted

Well Forum Friends, I have seen the physio and the reason I am having leg straightening problems is because of the nerves being irritable ( I know the feeling well!!)

So today lots of massage to allow the nerves to stretch as well as the muscles and he is hopeful that over the next few weeks, my leg will straighten. I did confess to hanging my leg over the bed, but that inflames the nerves so was firmly told to stick to static cycling, steps and swinging my leg straight then bending it.

So I feel a bit more encouraged this evening and look forward to hearing all your stories of improvement too!!!

• Posted

Guys I'm at 12 weeks and can tell you this was the best thing ever, does it still hurt at times yes, but every day is better than ther last.  DO NOT let this get into your'er head, do the therapy and do a little more at each rep and the results will bve obvious.  Having a great surgeon and great PT is a big help.  when I finished my six weeks of PT I was able to extend to 110 degrees and bend 95 degrees which is exactly what you have to be, yes it hurts but fight through the pain.  think long term not just today.
    • Posted

Hi jj,

Thanks for your message and I'm glad everything is working well for you, but every recovery is different and some of us aren't able to push through the pain ( as much as I'd like to, to speed things up) because it's detrimental to recovery. I did do everything and more than was suggested

by my physio which ended up with me pushing myself backwards, not

forwards. Although my bend is 120, my straight is no where near straight!

However am taking advice from my physio and taking it easy which seems to be allowing the nerves to heal.

My advice to everyone would be to follow your physio / PTs instructions to the letter and although we do have to push through the pain, don't do it to extremes!

• Posted

Hi jj,

Thanks for your message and I'm glad everything is working well for you, but every recovery is different and some of us aren't able to push through the pain ( as much as I'd like to, to speed things up) because it's detrimental to recovery. I did do everything and more than was suggested

However am taking advice from my physio and taking it easy which seems to be allowing the nerves to heal.

My advice to everyone would be to follow your physio / PTs instructions to the letter and although we do have to push through the pain, don't do it to extremes!

• Posted

Hi jj,

• Posted

I should imagine everybody on this forum is thinking of tomorrow, even though today they are in pain.  It is not always wise to work through pain. Pain is also the body’s way of telling a person that something is wrong.  You are very fortunate to be 12 weeks and going strong.  I assume your nerves have all knitted back and there is no sign of neuropathic pain
    • Posted

yes I did have a fair amount of nerve pain, but like you said try to focus on tomorrow.  I guess it just healed and that was that, I wont kid anyone my knee still hurts and proably will the rest of the year but each day is better than the last, I find the most relief in walking and just doing, at night yes it swells and gets stiff but I just ice no pain medicine other than alieve.  I know this can be very frustrating I not only under estimated the pain but did not grasp that it will take in most cases a full year to heal, good luck to all.
    • Posted

Cut back on your walking (it is so easy to walk that extra 100 metres too far and not notice) and concentrate on strengthen your muscles. If you have a bike, use that, there is little or no impact on your joint.  It is so frustrating, I know, but you are getting there.  Elevate your leg at night and see if that eases things. If anti-inflammatories are offered, take them, it will ease the swelling (the swelling is the body's way of protecting itself from "damage"). Each day is a new day. Stay positive and patient. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.