11 wks tkr, I feel like I've trapped a nerve.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm 10 wks post TKR, walking unaided, driving, back to work last wk. Bend is 115-120 and flat was 0. Physio therapy signed me off 4 wks ago?!! Can self refer if need to. Saw on here how everyone is using an exercise bike so borrowed my brothers at the wknd, easiest setting and I had to higher the seat to get a semi comfortable rotation. Saturday was okay, Sunday okay doing approx 20 rotations 3 times a day, (really struggling with this exercise in fairness) yesterday I got to my 5th rotation and wham, only way I can explain it, is like I've trapped a muscle/nerve, can't now put my heel to the floor without a huge jolt of pain, used my crutches yesterday afternoon to get around not used them since wk 5. Off the crutches today but the walking is poor, and the pain is like being zapped by a tens machine on full blast, going slightly up my thigh and down to my heel. Really appreciate any help or suggestions. I've iced, took my meds etc. I'm in the uk and getting an appointment with either gp/Physio will be like pulling teeth.

Many thank

Michelle

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Ouch!  I'm lost, to be honest, so anything is a wild guess, but I wonder if you've pulled a muscle, pulled a ligament (that's my best guess) or trapped a nerve as you said, but I think if it were me I'd try ice and elevation (on the basis of if in doubt, try ice and elevation!) because it's bound to be inflammed.  I wonder if an anti inflammatory ointment might help too?  Can you get a phone appointment with your doctor to ask?  I feel so sorry for you - you're doing your best to get strong and then this happens!  Frustrating!!!!  Let us know how it goes.  IF it's a ligament when I pulled ligaments on knees badly, then I used one of those neoprene knee supports for a week or so, depending on how bad it was leaving it off for a short part of the day to get SOME weight on the leg, while it repaired itself.  But I don't know how this would be with a TKR.  It's all I can think of though:-(

• Posted

I am awaiting a call back from my PT. I cannot believe how wham, its affected me and literally knocked me off my feet.

Thank you for your thoughts.

• Posted

You wed to take professional advice from at least two orthopaedic surgeons before taking any decision.
  • Posted

IOs the pain hip, buttocks and down the back of your leg...maybe as far as your foot?  If yes...sciatica.  Very common for TKR patients.  Spine/hip misalignment, locked SI joints, and more could cause sciatic pain.  Got mine at 5 weeks in; 3 weeks of chiro and it was gone.  Has to be a sharp, shooting pain down the back of your legs to be considered sciatica.
    • Posted

The most painful point is behind my knee, going up as far as mid thigh (not quite reaching my hip or buttock) and down as far as heel as ankle. :-( so not like sciatic pain I've experienced before, coming from my back, but yes the same feeling in how it grips me if that makes sense. I'm awaiting a call back from my old PT.

• Posted

Sounds more like pain emanating from the knee.  You're not even 3 months post-TKR.  You have lots of pain to go through, lots of recovery time.  PT is hell and post-PT exercising takes many months.  Pain shifts around, gets weird sometimes and has a lot to do with the fact that you now have a 2-pound mechanical device embedded in your body.  Nerves have been affected and are regenerating.  Read a lot of stories on the forum...you are not alone.  Just does not sound like sciatica.

• Posted

Michelle

Prlease go slow Recovery after TKR is long drawn process.10 weeks post TKR is too short a time to get involved aggressively in the activities You need to do physio excercises and 15 /20 minutes of walk two times a day. Wound need to get healed before you start doing muscle building excercises.No comparison need be made.All human beings have different body and recovery time is different..cycling can be done when there is no swelling , no stiffness and bearable pain

• Posted

Thank you.

I am wondering if I've pushed myself too much so it's my knees way of saying slow down. I'm only 40, a Mum, horse owner, work, dog owner etc etc and just want to be doing the most I can, don't really do the rest thing easily. I am resting today, ice and elevation is the main aim today.

• Posted

You've just overdone it Michelle and probably nipped a nerve, not trapped one. Have a few days rest. It won't put you back in the long. run.

whether you do the rest thing or not,a tired is one time when you need it. 

Go too fast and you'll slow your healing down.

• Posted

I think different physios are suggesting different things.  My physio said I could get back on the recumbent bike at three weeks.  I did it a couple of days before that point.  He did say to put the treadmill off to 6 weeks though (walking!).
  • Posted

I haven't scabbed the answers but if Chico is on here I would bet my bottom dollar he's guessing siatica and is probably onto the reason. My other stab in the dark guess, you have been movi g too fast. When you walk, slow everythi g to a snail's pace. Stride comfortably landing on your heel, then to the ball of you foot then to the.toe finishing with a full but pain free bend. You'll be the conversation piece of the neighborhood but you'll be loosening everything including back and hip muscles. Also, increase your hydration. Adding a caveat to my bet, I think you have become dehydrated nd don't recognize. Start the day with water and limited caffeine. Stay off the equipment FOR a day or 2 and see how you do. Dehydration is one of least discussed issues by the 🚑 profession when it comes to tkr rehab. You didn't mention the type of work you do but both sitting or being on your feet at this stage of the game is risky as you start developing bad habits in posture and walking because you are still healing and are physically and mentally worn out even though you may not wish to admit it.

Good luck

• Posted

Hope your physio helped and you have an answer. I wouldnt like to say what it is .

You do have to build up slowly with the static bike and pedal smoothly and not too fast. Going faster does not mean any better impact. 

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes  Jan

• Posted

I was being incredibly slow as I really have struggled with the bike, but I will admit it was that slow it wasn't a fluent movement so may of jarred something. My Physio hasn't rang back today so will hopefully hear from her tomorrow.

Thank you and will bear in mind your comment and maybe hang off the bike exercise until more fluently able.

• Posted

HI MICHELLE3101 definatly seems to  be some sort of impingement or as you suspect a pinched nerve is it constant or does it come and goes, if so try to get ref  to a physio or try to see your surgeon asap your complete healing process depends on movement and if you can not it will become worse please try your best for a referal  regards danie

• Posted

Danie, you just got me wondering about something I thought about earlier.  The very first time I used my bike when I tried the bend exercises later that day I thought I'd got impingement!  It felt as though something was trapped/pinching at the back of the knee.  BUT, I didn't get a problem putting my weight on it - it was only when I really bent the knee as far back as it would go (115 at that stage).  I asked my physio at the hospital and he told me to avoid pushing the bend to that point for a couple of weeks.  I avoided it for a week and then did it very gently, but as I increased the bend, was finding I'd get that trapping feeling at the maximum for quite a while.  It's stopped now though.  But I'm not sure that was anything to do with the bike regarding mine - it may have been just coincidence and it may have been pushing the bend that much that early.  I don't know!  That was what the physio thought it was though.

• Posted

My Physio is ringing me back and actually her secretary said I could have an appointment as soon as (within 48 hours) the pain at rest is bearable, and if I walk it's pretty much every step and my walk is definitely not as smooth as it was, I'm limping now and wasn't really limping at all before. I'm seeing my surgeon next Tuesday so between him and my Physio I'm hoping to have some answers until then I'll rest, ice and elevate.

Thank you all

• Posted

Do  you not want to see them asap Michelle?  I do hope it's better soon, whatever it is!

• Posted

Yes I'm hoping she will ring me in the morning with a time to go in. Fingers crossed. I'm slowly getting around unaided this evening after lots of rest, ice and elevated for most of the day.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Michelle I hope your Physio has called you by now & you will be seeing her.

Just a thought but have you tried GENTLE stretches & keeping the leg warm. I know it isn't the usual, chill usually is, but sometimes, soft tissue reacts better to warmth.

I hope you get it sorted

ASAP.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thank you all guys, unfortunately I'm still awaiting for the PT to get back to me, I have gone back to to my full dose of prescription meds and I'm more comfortable today. I've done all that's been suggested on here, ice, elevate, rest, warmth, stretches and some easy exercise. Its still there but manageable with the pills until I can get a pt appointment or even ring back. Also meeting with my surgeon next Tuesday so I'm hopeful he will have the answer.

Thanks again you guys

Michelle

• Posted

I hope you get the answer before next Tuesday Michelle.  Take it easy there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.