11weeks Post Op THR-Limp & Terrible Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am 11 weeks post op posterior THR and at 9 weeks I was walking with no pain and no cane. This last week i have had terrible pain from my hip to my knee with every step i take.

I am limping now and cant walk normal. I never had a limp before surgery. No antiinflammatorys work. Tramadol is not helping.

Right before this started, I slightly jogged for like 2 seconds. Immediately following this i was in excruciating pain for the whole day, even had a tingling weird feeling in my whole leg.

I have tried doing physical therapy exercises and cant even do them due to the pain.

Has anyone had anything similar? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

weather you over did it or did some movement to pull a muscle it should resolve itself in a few weeks . treat with ice and rest. it could also be considered a back injury which can mimic hip pain. if you are still in severe pain in a weeks then ask for a follow up appt and mention a possible injury to the new hip. your really only 11 weeks in recovery from a traumatic surgery . your still in short term healing usually 4-6 months. and then the long term healing 9-15 months. remember at 11 weeks you are still under restrictions with certain movements.

just walking no other exercise is necessary for healing after hip surgery. no jumping or lifting.

sending healing blessings your way...

• Edited

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the reply! i have been resting and icing hourly.

I woke up this morning and now I cannot move my operated leg while walking. It will not go forward. It is like it is freezing up every time I try to walk. I am using crutches now and basically dragging my leg as I can't lift it either. It is the strangest feeling.

I emailed my doctor yesterday and now I have an appt. with Ortho this afternoon.

Thank you again!

• Edited

lindsay11875 good to hear you will see your doc. i hope it has not dislocated. the freezing example can be a nerve issue , it sounds like you will find answers

plz keep me posted. fingers crossed its nothing serious. do you know the manufacturer of the components and what type metal or ceramic or both?

sending positive vibes your way.

• Edited

Hi Barbara,

The manufacturer is Biomet Inc metal and ceramic.

Dr. thinks its bursitis and IT band. Rest, ice, keep taking Mobic, limit mobility as much as possible, and back to walker for 10 days. I see him again on 9/22.

Thank you for all your help!

• Posted

omy goodness... biomet what model? do you have the tag off the implant components and the surgery evaluation? my doctor took the bursitis sac out during THR surgery on both hips. it can be a bit discouraging with a set back. don't let that get you down. it is a common issue after surgery.IT band issue can be a slower bit slower healing, long term. i had the same problem. sometimes the it band gets nicked during surgery it will heal . you have a great attitude and thats 50% of healing .

it all will come together in a few more months. soon you will have the results you wanted. walk rest ice.

• Edited

i feel i have similar problem. done everything by tge book and now aftr 16 weeks seem to be going backwards re. pain and cant get to talk to anyone about it. my other hip replacement was great and didnt have any problems but feel i will never be "normal" again

• Edited

your only 4 months after a major trauma on your hip and whole body. you have a few more months to go. you healing cannot be rushed. work on you gate to walk heel to toe and balance stand up straight no slouching. good soft insole new shoes with good arch support.

do not over do take small rest stops thru out the day. drink plenty of water and protein shakes. this is not the greatest time to diet your body needs extra calories for extra energy to heal. just walk.. thats all the exercise needed. i have used this routine thru 3 hip surgeries and very happy and pain free with a huge difference in mobility. it takes time as you build up your core muscles to help support your back and everything else will follow. good luck..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.