12 cm Ovarian Cyst-help very scared

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm just looking for someone who knows what I'm going through to ease my mind. About two weeks ago I had severe pain in my lower abdomen.  After three straight days of agonizing pain I went to the doctor who said it could be a pulled muscle but just in case I should have an ultra sound done. The results were a 12 cm cyst on my right ovary. Also there is a smaller mass but they haven't figured out what that one is although most likely another cyst. I went to the gynecologist who said I would have to have surgery to remove it. He said we would sart off with a laparoscopy and if that didn't work since it's so large I would then have a laparotomy. I am absolutely terrified. I'm a 17 year old girl how did this happen? Everything was going so great I got a good hostess job at a fancy restaurant, a loving boyfriend of 13 months, and a big potential of becoming cheer captain for my senior year. I've been perfectly healthy my whole life and now the idea of getting cut open is terrifying to me. What I really want to know is what the recovery is gonna be like? Also are there any major risks during the surgery? If I have the big bikini line cut is it gonna look funny after it's healed? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had the same surgery for a massive cyst. It had to be surgery as it was so large. I am 54 and recovered very quickly. The scar is just along the top of your pubic hairline! I was up within a day and walked two miles withing 6 weeks. If I can do it at my age then it will be a doddle for you. Hopefully they will save your ovary too as you might need them, I didn't! Two big babies and wasn't planning more in my old age!!
  • Posted

Hi ashlyn142

My dermoid cyst was discovered after a routine scan......no major symptoms but looking back I had little niggles!  My cyst was 14x9x8cm and was removed by laparotomy.  I was very nervous as didn't know what to expect especially after having both my children naturally!

To be honest the surgery was straightforward and the first few days after were uncomfortable with moving around, coughing,sneezing etc.  I had my op in October last year and the scar has faded really well......couldn't drive or do any heavy lifting for about 6 weeks although did push myself a couple of times but paid for it the next day!  Back to the gym after 12 weeks.  All I can advise is take it easy during the recovery & don't do too much......x

• Posted

I literally just had the open surgery bikini cut done on Friday afternoon! I just got back home and I'm doing alright. It's bad for the first day or two only because it's really hard to get up and just try and go to the bathroom. You'll need a lot of help with that. The other pain I didn't like too much was the shoulder pain. They fill up your stomach and there's nowhere for the gas to go so it gives you bad pain in your shoulders. Heating pads really help and the nurses will give you all the medicine you need. My cyst was about 9cm and they tried to do the laparoscopy, but it was just too big so they did the bikini cut. I'm scared of getting the stitches out because I've never had any surgery or stitches, but I think they can numb me. It's common for women to have cyst and not even know it. Nothing's wrong with you or anything. Just try not to stress about the surgery. 
    • Posted

They didn't have the dissolvable stitches? I've heard about the gas that's so bizarre. 
    • Posted

I guess they didn't. I'm scared to get them out, ya the gas is really weird and it hurts a lot. Now the pain of the gas is all the way up in my neck! 
  • Posted

IF YOU EXERCISE STRAIGHT AFTER, SHOULDER ROLLS AND NECK ROLLS AND FOOT AND EG LIFTS LIKE PILATES MOVEMENTS THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PAIN FROM THE AIR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.