12 days after gallbladder removal and have terrible indigestion!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been eating less than 10 grams of fat per day to be extra careful. The past few days I've had terrible indigestion and some upper stomach pain. Is this considered normal? Please help! -healthy 44 year old woman.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Olovelie. Every recovery is different and everyday after my surgery I felt stronger and better. I am 4 months post and just last month at 3 I did a lot of strenuous activities like I never had surgery. I had to remind myself I did, so in time I hope you will feel like yourself again. My first few days I was afraid to eat any fatty foods and if I did it was it was a tad. My doctor prescribed stool softener for me, so that may have helped with my digestive system, avoiding indigestion. I know I did drink plenty of water too. I think the key is knowing the good and bad foods for your new system. I know certain foods gave me a little discomfort in that area and also I ate small portions. Over eating gave me discomfort too, but 2 weeks is still a recovery period. In time you will feel better. Four months later I am feeling back to normal. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I'm going to see how it goes and mention the discomfort to my doctor at my 3 week post op appointment. I only ate plain chicken breast with peas tonight though maybe I ate too fast. Thank you for responding!

• Posted

Hi Angel,

I am almost 3 mths post op, feeling pretty good but still get days where I am so exhausted! Did you feel that way at this point and do you still? Not many people mention lethargy or being so tired during their recivery, mostly stomach issues. Thanks 😊

• Posted

You are welcome. My life is such a rush I noticed I was eating my foods too fast and not chewing it thoroughly. I started this new process of chewing my food for my new system. I think in time we will all feel better. Overall I'm learning my system and the food that are bad and the bloating minimized. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Wendy. Funny you should mention that. I found this site hoping to understand why I feel so exhausted lately. Yes this just recently started happening, but I am blaming it on my busy lifestyle. However I really feel it is a process with the surgery. I never felt so drained. I am looking into foods to boost my energy and will start my workout regimen again. This is something I will mention to my dr. Again I am post 4 months. Hopefully in 6 months I'm feeling better. A coworker who had the surgery said in time you will have lots of energy, looking forward to that day. Good luck!

• Posted

Angel, thank you for replying smile I think we are all a bit surprised at the recovery time! No one told me any of the symptoms sad I knew my digestive system would have to get used to things, but not being this tired.

The first month I didnt notice because I was taking it easy, not doing much at all. I guess once I started to try to get back in to the world is when I started feeling so drained!

It does help to have a forum to reach out on these questions as sometimes the doctors din't seem concerned, but I am a worry wart 😔

Here's to all of us recovering quickly!!

• Posted

I just spoke to my surgeon. She stated that I should not be having this digestion and pain 12 days after surgery. I made an appointment to see her.I will let everyone know what happens! Again, thank you so much! 😁

• Posted

Hi Wendy. Still adjusting myself but grateful they removed my bad gallbladder. A friend did not have an option as her gallbladder turned to cancer. We are blessed.
    • Posted

Angel,

I hope your friend is ok? And yes we are blessed.

I tell myself that when not feeling great...but way better than thise horrid gallbladder attacks😬

• Posted

Thanks I have to check in on her. Last I heard she was doing cancer treatments. Yes we are blessed. I'll take the little discomfort for a longer and better life. Best of health to you!

• Posted

Thank you Angel and to you as well. Healing thiughts to your friend xo
  • Posted

Hi Olovelle

I am at the end of week be post surgery for Gb removal I thought that we al as they say could carry on eating as normal, I have been living in soup anything with fat just makes me feel like I'm going to explod due to bloating and indigestion. I have tried a slice of bread with water no soda as that just makes it worse. I hope that your symptoms go away, time I think is the main key word. I think it's such a big change and discovery of eating habits for all of us post Gb removal, Good luck

• Posted

Allan,

Have you tried taking enzymes before eating? They help me so much. Also maybe do gluten free for now. So hard to know what to eat. I also take a probiotic. I eat tapioca pudding, no fat. Also turkey rolled in low fat swiss cheese. Small bites and I chew really good. Bodies are trying to get used to new way of processing food. Good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi Olovelie,

I agree the key is small, but frequent meals. Lots and lots of water and I take enzymes before each meal to help process the fats. I also eat no fat Greek yogurt and a probiotic. Eat slow. I stick with chicken and turkey at 12 weeks post op for lean protein. You will find what agrees with tou and what doesn't. Time is our friend as it gets better, hang in there. See if Dr maybe would prescribe a prontonic for stomach or if enzymes and Tums or gas ex recommended? Xo

• Posted

Hi

I had my gall bladder out on 9th August and 1 hr after the op they gave me steak and kidney pies by mistake as it was from the previous patients pre-order.

I had a terrible night only relieved with opiates such as oral morphine and Tramadol. I was then making great progress and eating lightly till with over confidence I went for a curry with my wife. The long and short is that it was a VERRY BAD decision and I sufferd for a few days but now after almost 1 month I feel a lot better ad eating normally  though avoiding very spicy foods. My advice is to eat clear soup or  small portions (I stuck to 1 ham sandwich mid day and eavening with lean ham and a smear of light I cant believe its not butter) and then every 2 days try a slightly heavier meal for me this was 1/8th of a small pitza,

maybe followed 1hr later by another small peice. If you are taking opiate pain killers like Tramadol do make sure you are not constipated so take a 15 ml (adult) dose of Lactulose  last thing at night and after breakfast till you are unconstipated. You may have the runs but this was normal for me when taking of Lactulose so after the set back its now 3weeks and things are much better now. Still takig it easy as I also had a gall bladder abscess removed which has made recovery a bit slower but small meals frequently with very low fat and avoid pulses or anything that cayses wind.

Hope this helps till you can start to eat more normally. Just let things take their time

regards

Kevin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.