12 weeks ago I had surgery for my fractured and dislocated ankle

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a surgery 12 weeks ago to fix fractured ankle. a plate was I sorted and 8 screws 3 long ones and 5 small ones. I was in hospital for a full week after surgery, then went home in plaster cast with non weight bearing for 7 weeks. at 7 weeks the consultant pleased with the healing and put me in the moon boot which I was allowed to remove for sleeping and to take a shower.

I returned yesterday after 5 weeks and the xRay showed that the 3 long screws had become loose. so now I have to continue wearing the boot for a further 6 weeks, except when at home and I can now walk with shoes on in the house. again showering and sleeping the boot can be removed. my problem is what shoes to wear in the house? for the garden and leaving the house must wear the boot.

I received a pair of new NHS orthotic boots that support my ankle and foot properly, but only a few days before my fall and I have to 'broken' them in yet. They should be the obvious choice but I'm concerned that being so new they may because bit hard and maybe should i just buy a pair of cheap trainers.

To add further to my woes, I was told that the 3 long screws will have to be removed but in the interim if my ankle should change shape, feel different or more painful, I must go immediately to A&E to be xRayed and the consultant contacted as its possible that the screws have broken and need to be removed immediately.

sorry for the long post, but I'm 74 years old and have broken any bones nefore this and it seems that every thing that can go wrong is going wrong. your help etc will be appreciated

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.