12 weeks on

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been keeping up with all discussions,  but not put anything in for a while.Been concentrating on physio sessions, which are really painful. The physio actualy told me last week that he cannot get my bend to more than 

just over 90, he thinks that something is stopping him, probably something is attached to the prosthesis. This is most depressing,has anyone else had this problem?

I am not in UK I am in Spain

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i think it is a common thing Lynn.... If you do a search on this site  knee bend ....under... knee problems.. I sure there will be some good advice. .. thankfully bending my knee is not a problem for me ... keeping it straight and walking without it giving  way is what's keeping me back.   take care... ps... you are fortunate to be somewhere a bit warmer than UK. .. its freezing here. ..
  • Posted

The surgeon who did mine always leaves the posterior cruciate ligament which gives more stability and movement. I was able to bend to 115 at 8 weeks

I found rather than lying or sitting to exercise I use the kitchen counter top to hold and start to squat going down as far as possible 10 times 4 times a day. Its more of a natural movement. Im now 9 + 4 weeks and do this when waiting for the kettle to boil

Hope you manage to get more movement

• Posted

I have the same problem though I'm only at 4 weeks. Having the devil of a time getting the bend past 87 and as you say, physical therapy sessions are pure torture as he tries to get more bend. Then when I get home my knee aches for hours - and this is on doubled up pain killers. 

The threat is that the surgeon will have to put me back under and forcibly bend it, but you know, it's sounding less like a threat and more like a good idea.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, Our TKR friend, Britta, underwent the dreaded bend under anesthetic operation in hospital last week. She said she would be back on here soon. What she told me backs up your feeling, here is part of a message she sent me:

when we last x-rayed, we noticed a little bone at the back of the knee which about 20% of people have (can't remember the name) and now that i can really bend the knee, i can hear and feel it crunching! will need to speak to my doc.

Caz

• Posted

hi lynn ... when were you last xrayed? it is important to rule out any mechanical issues first. i am the one who has just been in hospital at 12 weeks post tkr op to have it bent /mobilized under anesthetic. i had the same problem, my physio would hit a concrete wall. speak to your surgeon, he is the expert and if it is decided you need to go back in, DON'T worry. read my post which is entitled "Survived! Mobilization of knee under anesthetic". and if you have questions, ask away.

p.s. i am based out of switzerland.

• Posted

HI britta,

Very pleased to hear you have had a succesful bend under anesthetic.I have tried but cannot get to read your post, which I know I would find very interesting.

I was not told to have physio sessions until I was 6 weeks, my first physiotherapist said I should have seen her sooner as my knee was very stiff, anyway after 15 sessions she informed me that sher could not get the bend to more than 80 degrees, I was horified, sent my surgeon an email straight away, he replied saying that they had to treat it as a normal knee & the bend could reach 155 degrees. 

I decided to change physio, & am now had 2 sessions with him, he came highly recommended, as he worked with our local football team also Malaga football club. He told me he must get my leg straight  as I needed that for a proper walk, also my muscles are too tight but he said my legs are strong. He really is working on my muscles,(must admit I do a bit of cursing, can't help myself) My leg is almost straight but he says he will only give me another 3 sessions & if he cannot get my bend any better he will not take my money. I have an appointment to see my surgeon on 16th December, also I had an x ray done last week ,which I will take with me,my physio says they look ok to him.

Like you he says he feels like he is hitting a brick wall after 90 degrees.

How long were you in Hospital, & how was the pain during & after?

• Posted

Lynn your story sounds exactly like mine. . slipped through the net apparently regarding physio. .. i had none until 8 weeks. .. so got a lot of catching up to do. ... my muscles are very weak and need bulked up a bit as I haven't walked properly on that leg for years....hope your new physio gets things going. .. coincidentally. .. my new physio works with our local football team...  rake care .x
    • Posted

Hi Mary,

Hope you get good results with your new physio,I.m still keeping my fingers crossed a miracle will happen next week & he can bend mine a bit further before I have to see my surgeon on th 16th

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.