12 weeks post anterior/posterior repair now with bowel complications

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, im new to the site but could really use some advice. I am 12 weeks post op of a anterior and posterior repair, 1st 4 weeks were a nightmare, the pain was horrendous!! I couldnt walk for 5 mins without extreme pain in vagina and trying to have a BM was worse. I got extra painkillers, antibiotics for infection and they increased my laxatives.

Thankfully after 6 weeks the pain eased from walking and i can now move about with only the odd pain. But i am still struggling with the bowels, even though im loose now my bowels are coming out every time i have a BM (and somtimes if i pump) and i have to push it back!! I had no bowel problems before surgery. What has happened!! My GP has referred me back to consultant but im still waiting to see him.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could help, but I didn’t experience this. The first month was horrendous. Beyond painful. But things have been slowly healing for me. I am 7 months post op and still dealing with pain (not awful but nonetheless pain), bleeding, and sex is not possible. My bowels are sometimes difficult to evacuate, and I can NOT hold my bladder at all. Leaks. It’s really a mess.

I pray that you will get answers and hope that this will be corrected...and quickly! 

• Posted

Hi Karen

Are you straining on the toilet?? You mentioned pump!!

I am still in movicol which is brill. It's not a laxative(stay away from them) but a natural way of pushing water into colon for soft easy pooing. I would also but a squatty potty stool,these are a godsend for proper posture as easy elimination.

Movicol may give loose stools but there is no straining and you can reduce the sachets.

I'd go back to your consultant if you continue having issues hun.

I had tvh and anterior repair.. I also may add could it be the painkillers you were taking,these give constipation also. I managed without painkillers just paracetamol for first 2 days.xx

• Posted

Thank u for the reply. I have stopped taking all painkillers now. Just the odd paracetamol if i cant cope as i know painkillers can cause constipation. Im not straining at all now since staying on the movicol, i take 1-2 sachets a day but if i stop even for one day i feel pain in backend if need a BM.

My GP has urgently requested my consultant to see me again, but that was 3 weeks ago. And im still waiting.

• Posted

Wow, Karen, I am 12 weeks anterior and posterior repair plus urethra  and  vaginal hernia repair.  I had constipatiom at the beginning that scared me to death, but my doctor said that that was not usual then seems it all came at once and every time I went to the bathroom I had a bowel movement with Miralax and stool softener. My doctor did tell me that everyone was different and some bladder and bowels take longer time to wake up than others  but I did go through what you are describing just around 4th to 5th week.

Maybe your bowels took longer to get back in routine. At twelve weeks post op, I eat Raisin Bran cereal every morning and that seems to keep bowels in balance but if I skip Raisin Bran then I wind up having to take Miralax or some stimulator like prunes but I continue with the stool softener always so far!! It was horrible when I was going through what you described but it did settle out so maybe your bowel routine will get back to normal in a few more days. I sure pray it does!!🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

Thank u for your reply, i do hope my bowels will settle down soon. Can i ask did u have your back end coming out with your BM Aswell? as this is what im really concerned about as i have to push it back in after even a loose movement!! Im glad to hear youre a lot better.x
  • Posted

Oh no Karen, I did not have it to the point I had to push it back in; however, it was out and opened but not like it was before my surgery at all. My posterior repair did not fall out but my rectum moved up. After my repair, however, my rectum area was like an “outie” belly button and seemed like it took forever to clean it out with baby wipes after a bowel movement.  At just a past 12 weeks now, everything is turned in the right direction and nothing seems to  collect inside of it so no having to clean it out. I have come to realize that it seems we all go through much the same stages of healing just at different times and paces. It is almost as if we need to go back for check ups every week or at least every two weeks because some change in our recovery makes us very concerned! Patience and just ignoring most changes has worked for me, but I always say to ease your mind, check in with your doctor . After all l, it doesn’t hurt to find out all is just to be expected😄Prayers for healing for you and all of us!🙏🙏🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.