12 weeks post op and still limping

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Not been on for a while, hoping everyone is recovering well.

I am 12 weeks today post op. Was due to go back to work today, but still not had my 6 week check up. Finally going this wednesday. I have lots of questions and conerns, which i am hoping will be answered.

I wanted to ask though, how people felt after 12 weeks? I still suffer with pain, particulary in my back. I am trying not to use my crutch, but walking with with a gaping limp still, which is affecting my knees, which was the same pre op. My right knee cruntches and swells as the day goes on. Plus i have a compressed nerve still in my non op side, which keeps me awake most nights. Thought by now i would be getting back to normal and ready for work.

Anyone else still suffering at 12 weeks?

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello  Colleen

I am now 19 weeks post op but my operated side is still uncomfortable to lie on in bed, which I have been told is normal.  Have not got a limp and no knee problems, but boy am I having problems with back pain and associated back thigh pain.  Not sure whether it is sciatica based or not.  Seeing physio for last time tomorrow and then I'm going to have to find someone to look at my back.  It could, of course, be things settling down after what is a big operation, and like you I thought I would be better than I actually am.  Are we expecting too much do you think?  I am hearing from this site that it does take longer than you think.  I am taking more painkillers now than I did the first six weeks, which is rather strange. 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear about your back/thigh pain. What does it feel like? My thigh feels like it goes tingly hot then the needle type pain starts. Comes on and off in the day, but is worse at night.

Think your right with regards to the back pain. Been sitting and walking leaning over to one side for so long, but my body may still be adjusting. (Hope this is the case). Had back pain pre op and its worse now than before.

Maybe i am expecting to much to soon, i am certainly that type of person and push myself sometimes to my own detriment! I just thought 12 weeks on and i really dont feel like im up for work yet. Iv got two young boys who i would have to drop off and pick up at nursery. Think by the time iv put myself through that, i would be ready for a lie down lol! I have a fast paced job and my body is saying no way at the moment. Have got two weeks extra on my sick note. Hoping in that time i make some quick recovery and can get back to it. Dont want people think i am playing on it or taking the mickey (i wish).

• Posted

hi i am 12 weeks from my operation and i have the same problem as wat you have .my back is so sore and the front of my thigh are killing me as well have no lip but my opposite knee from the hip op is sore as well and on more meds than i was before plus i go to a charted physio and still no better i go to her once a week every week i was just woundering how you are getting on now it 5 years ago or how did you get better from the op dorothy thanking you

• Posted

The trouble is that people expect you to be over this in six weeks!  I blame Craig Revel Horwood for having his done and then skipping about on Stictly!  Most of us take a lot longer than that.  The people who are running marathons at six weeks are rarer than hens teeth. Like you I'm hoping that it's my body adjusting to the surgery, but who knows.  I have a TENS machine which helps with the back pain by the way.
    • Posted

Hi Soxy,

just to make you feel better.

Craig RH had hip revision. Nothing like a THR for recovery time.

I like you thought it was astonishing so did some research. One other small component that helped CRH too was that he had the most highly regarded professor surgeon for this Op type in Britain.......

• Posted

No, he had hip resurfacing, less invasive still. I am getting sick of everyone assuming I'm fine because I can 'walk'. I'm only 10 weeks post BILATERAL THRs. Sick of having to ask for a seat on public transport (and I've only started trying to use it again this week!). Still using a stick in public so I can only imagine how much worse it will get when I stop using a stick but still need a seat. I'm only 53 so don't look 'old enough' (whatever the heck that means, given I know so many people younger than I who's had some form of hip surgery). Yesterday, a well-meaning 'colleague' said that he wished for a reason like this so he got a rest from work!!!!! (Would be bad enough but I am freelance and live alone so where he thinks the money comes from to live on when I'm incapacitated, heaven only knows!). 

• Posted

Sounds as if you have several issues that have nothing to do with your hip replacement. All questions to ask the doctor. Sounds like the other issues also need to be addressed best of luck
  • Posted

I'm only 8 weeks coming up, so I cannot really say what I will be like when 12 weeks. My uncle saw me out walking today and thinks I won't get back to work at 12 weeks because I still use my stick. I don't know, but I did almost 4 mile this morning.

I don't have back pain like you, but it could be your body adjusting, just because they say you can go back at 6/12 weeks, does not mean you do, everybody heals different and it can take over a year for everything to be more or less back to normal.

If your still limping, I would go and see your doctor, maybe get some more physio.  One of the first questions I asked my consultant, is will I still limp, he said no, so maybe they can sort that for you.

• Posted

Have you done therapy and your exercises daily? At 12 weeks I was pain free and no limp. Best of luck
    • Posted

I have done what i can. Only seen PT twice. Look on youtube and do exercises that way.
    • Posted

I am almost 6. Weeks and still have hip pains and the golf ball is back also sharp shooting pains ??? Like you I have bad knee pain and swelling and I am unable to straighten or bend without worsening pain . I had acl reconstruction about 5 years ago but my knee now feels like it did before I had that surgery !! I actually posted on here today Asking if anyone else has had similar as it is really getting me down . I also have cold sensations in hip joint - knee and sometimes foot !!! No idea at all if this the norm ? I see my surgeon on the 20. Th

X

• Posted

I do think you need to go back to both your physio and consultant regarding the limp and pain - muscle weakness tends to be the reason why there is a limp, so in theory this should be the answer lots more physio and exercises, but if you are worried I would organise an appointment. 

Especially as the longer you leave it the harder these things are to correct.

• Posted

HI Colleen. I didn't feel normal till 5 months post surgery.  It wasn't until then that I could get up in the morning, start to walk and not feel a thing. So give yourself time, you have a ways to go. 
  • Posted

Hi Colleen, 

I am 10 months in and though I am 69 I still have a very sore groin and leg and have again been referred for physio they suspect Bursitis and a tendon problem waiting to be referred to another type of physion.  I have only just started laying on my op side but only for about 15mins.  My walking is not that far as very painful.  After about 60 metres.  Do think 

Going back to work at 12 weeks would be amazing do hope it goes better for you.  Saying about my problems still glad had it done.

take care 

regards Lorna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.