12 weeks post op on Wednesday / weekly update!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Posting a little early this week but wanted to share my news.

Had my post-op check at hospital today, and have been signed off, everything healed and looking good.

My op was done by a urogynacologist, although bearing in mind that it is a training hospital, and they learn via training. I'm happy with that anyway.

I had my first day back at work yesterday, 5 hour shift, about I hour 30 mins on my feet then 15 minutes break (really needed it), then another 1 hour 15 on feet again, then 2 hours sitting at checkout. Suprised that I managed so well. Could gave done with slightly less time on feet and more on seat but no bad after effects other than being completely exhausted. Came home to feet up on sofa and was snoozing on and off all day (not something I normally do)!

Any how consultant said no reason that this should not last a good bit longer maybe even till I'm 85, as long as I'm careful and do not cause any downward pressure, never carry anything heavy, no heavy manual work and no high impact exercises.

He has advised that he will send a note to my GP and maybe she could give me letter for employer advising only light duties. Explained that GP has already done this and that my work does not have any light duties for me. So in a big of a quandary?

Having now reached the point where what I do will now determine the longterm success of my repair and really don't know what to do about work, do I continue where I am and hope they will come and go with me over the need to limit time on my feet. Also will I be able to completely avoid heavy weight bearing.

Love my job and work colleuges were all very supportive, but hate feeling like I'm not pulling my weight as much as I would normally be doing. Feel they shouldn't have to work round my needs all the time.

I no there is very little chance of getting employment that will not involve weight bearing to some extent or involve some amount of time on my feet, and I'm too young (can't believe I'm saying that) to retire as yet, and can't afford it anyway.

However can't really afford to be putting my longterm health at risk eaither.

Anyway a little uncomfortable today, maybe due to being on feet yesterday a little longer than usual; and a little discomfort with internal exam today, but not painful.

Hope you are all making good progress to and some of you will be well on the way to recovery now.

Healing hugs to you all,

As always slow and easy will get your there quicker!

Phyl x💖💖💖

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This is wonderful news phyl and I'm so pleased for you because you did exactly as you were advised. I'm sure your post will give other ladies recovering from prolapse surgery a lot if hope and it just proves if you rest in the early weeks it gives the repair time to heal with great results. Keep in touch on the forum phyl because I know other ladies will agree with me when I say your advice and support is invaluable xx
    • Posted

Thank you Matron,

and thanks to all the other lovely ladies for their advice and support which has been greatly appreciated and has been particularly encouraging during the early weeks.

Stephanie, the physio on the forum has also been helpful and a good reminder to keep up with the PF exercises and to checkout Michelle kenway (? Not sure if spelling right), for low impact exersise, that will strengthen pelvic floor muscles and avoiding high impact. That will be my next step to look into some of the low impact physio, forgotten most of the ones my physio gave me to do last time, that will keep me busy for a while.

Thank you so much for this forum I hope in continues for many years.

Phyl x 💖💖💖

• Posted

Phyl,

So glad yesterday went well for you, you've done so well.

I am seeing my dr this afternoon as I'm due back to work after half term holidays (2 weeks today) I'm really worried. My job is very active and requires a lot of lifting and moving and unpredictable events and like you if I can't do my job there is not a job for me, I need to stay off longer qualify for an occupational health meeting. I like you,have been told no heavy lifting again, no high impact exercises and no bouncing activities like trampolines or bouncy castles etc. I need this evidenced for employers.

I also haven't got over the really strong antibiotics I needed last week for an abscess and infection in my wound. Luckily it is healing now.

So I am at a cross roads and not feeling sure if undoing the right thing. Part of me says just go back and carry on but another part says I come first and this time I need to put me first. I just don't know what to do.

Mik x

• Posted

Hi Mik,

It really is difficult, I would be happy to carry on as long as I'm not interfering with needs of business, and colleuges are happy to work round my needs. But don't know how that will go down in long run!

Hope you fair better with occupational health than I did! I've been trying for lighter work for years and my current job is the nearest i have got to light work.

Let us all know how you get on with OH/GP.

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Good news indeed, and good advise for those of us in the early stages of recovery - day 3 for me. Best to look after the repair for the long term if possible, not easy, but sensible. Off to find Stephanie the physio :-)

• Posted

Good luck pearl,

Early weeks yet concentrate on resting plenty x☺☺☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.