12 weeks post Pilon Fracture right ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good Evening All,

Well, I made it to my 3 month time line and followed up with my Orthopedic Surgeon Tues. Just to recap...July 25th missed my 3rd step off of my front porch and severely fractured tibia and fibula. Had surgery the next a.m. and now have 2 plates and 16 screws securely holding my fractures intact. I have been on a knee scooter and NWB the entire 12 weeks. 

My surgeon has said i can start weight bearing as tolerated and outpatient physical therapy.  I had my first PT session yesterday.  Once i arrived home from PT i went straight to the walker to see what I could do with putting some weight on my foot.  Well...let me just say, I had shooting electrical impulse type pains in the heel so I did very little with the walker yesterday.  This morning I medicated myself with 500mg of Aleve and once I felt the Aleve was in my system I tried the walker again.  I was able to get more time in walking but only putting minimal weight on that foot.  Now  8 hours later there is much pain at the hardware site...particularly, the long plate on my tibia ( outer side of my calf).  

Can anyone share their experience once allowed to bear weight with hardware?  Is this typical and it gets better? 

Thank you all for anything you can offer. I'm in the peaks and valley's of emotions once more! Currently, sick of this life changing event!  Hope everyone is doing well and onward to healing!  Rhonda

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a different surgery. My first foot surgery they repaired my tendon, cut my entire heel bone off and moved it, and lengthened my heel cord. NWB 8 weeks then boot. Had the same pain in my heel that sounds like you. It did get better. I never fully healed as my foot prolapsed again and ended up having a foot fusion post surgery 7 months now and still healing. I wish you the best. Keep positive the recovery can be slow and painful but should get easier and easier! Keep posting your progress having support will help!
    • Posted

Oh my goodness Laura!  You have been through it!  I am so sorry! Was all of this stemming from an accident?  How's your mobility now?  Thank you for your positivity it really does help!! We'll get through this! 

• Posted

Rhonda, yes I fell of a counter painting and that started everything. My mobility Now is still slow and pain. The pain is better than before and every month or so I see a little bit more improvement. Doc says still healing and got several more months ahead of me . Hard to stay positive but with the help of others especially on this website has been a God send and help me up when I'm down!

• Posted

I started weightbearing at 12 weeks. Slow progression  First 25 pounds then 50 pounds 10 days after that and so on.I am still using a walker and crutches..I am at 50 pounds weightbearing in a boot, 

Today I walked in an antigravity treadmill at 50lbs weightbearing, no boot. I have shooting pain. Hoping it is quick to recovery, 

hope you feel better, the pilon is the hardest and mist complicated  of all ankle orthopedic injury. 

Will be thinking of you. 

Sending prayers of healing! 

Colleen 

• Posted

Hi Colleen!  Thank you for your reply. I'm so glad to hear you're progressing with weight bearing!  

Is your injury a Pilon also?

Rhonda

• Posted

Ugh...I'm so sorry!  Are you on the Facebook closed community page "pilonfracturesucks"?  It's very helpful for us!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.