12 weeks progress bunion and hammer toe op

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, just thought I'd show my progress, it's 12 weeks since left foot op, so coming up to 3 months!  I'm still getting swollen ankle but it doesn't feel as tight as it used to.  The scar is healing well on my bunion but I am very disappointed with the hammer toe scar, even the bone doesn't seem to have mended properly, it always feels sore.  I am going back in August to have it checked again, the registrar said he'd never seen a hammer toe heal like this!  Can anyone please send a photo of their hammer toe scar, at about three months or even later, then I could see how it might heal.  

Im getting about much better now, still use a walking stick to steady myself, but feel tired after half hour of walking around shops! Or other walking need to rest.  Really don't know how people get back to work, I wish them well though.  

Im doing my arts and craft now, and forget to put my foot up, so swelling occurs through my foot hanging over the chair!  Keeping it raised helps, 

It would be good to hear how others are doing at about 3 months?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Barbara I am in Tasmania Australia. I had double bunion surgery 3 months ago.

I am having trouble with my toes on the right foot. By big toe is bending back towards the other toes. My second toe is feeling like it is being pulled its hard to explain but my toes feel like they are being squashed up as if in a tight shoe. The second toe bone seems to be bending up. Have you experienced any of these things.

• Posted

Hi Pauline I'm in UK.  I have a strange feeling still in my big toe and hammer toe, sometimes it feels like it's not connected to my foot!  As you can see from photo toes are nice and straight, better than the other non surgery foot, I guess it all takes time to heal.  Doctor said 6 months or more.  This means we are half way!
    • Posted

It is a real stuggle sometimes I am worried about the feeling I have. The left foot is fine the right is the problem even sitting with my feet just in socks Ihe feeling is the same as if I am wearing a tight shoe.
    • Posted

I've heard that one foot doesn't heal the same as another.  If you are really worried though it might be worth a checkup with the doctor/surgeon.  I get a tight feeling in my toes, but also it aches or light pain under my big toe metatarsal bone, think that's the healing of scarf cut.  I have to admit I'm a bit fed up with having this done, just hoping all heals properly eventually.  Did you have hammer toe done in your bad foot, I think that makes a difference, I feel like I would be better improved if I hadn't had this done?
    • Posted

Hi Baraba no did not have hammer toe done. I wonder about that if its becoming like that. I go back to doctor on Monday he better have some answers. I was not really told mych about the surgery.
    • Posted

Yes, it does seem like surgeons give you a brief explanation, get it done and then just leave you to recover and find out things for yourself.  I've heard this from others on this site and from different countries of the world.  So happy we have this forum.
    • Posted

Yes me too. I am 47 and fairly fit jyst had enough of this. I had better get some sort of answer. I love being able to talk here not sure if there are many Australians here.
    • Posted

And I'm a young 69 lol.  Decided after many years to have it done this year or never!  Hope it was the right decision.
    • Posted

HI Pauline, I am in Canberra. 5 weeks post op after bilateral bunion surgery plus 1 hammertoe. Bunion surgery is bunion surgery, regardless of the country we are in, recovery is more (or less) similar. Hence, this forum has been tremandously helpful in tracking my recovery because like many, I have found my surgeon (or rather, his nurses) lacking in post op care.

• Posted

Hello Ajandtia. Yes my Post op has been dreadful. I am 3months post op and worried as my right foot feels like I am wearing a very very tight shoe all the time even when barefoot. My second toe is so squashed it does nit feel right. I had a check up the otherday and was told to wait 3 mintmonths to see what happens I am not hapoy with that and reallt do not kniw what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.