12 year old with costocondritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 12 year old daughter has costocondritis for a week now following a cold. Pain meds barely work and steroids haven't helped. She has missed a week of school and is still in constant pain and literally cries/whines all day. Looking for answers. Will this ever get better? 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Poor baby To have this at a young age am sure is

Tough . Did her doctor explicitly

Say it was Costo? I have been with symptoms off and on for 3 years now. My general practitioner has no clue . The rheumatologist sent me for more blood tests but even when I described symptoms he didn't come out and say I think it's ....

• Posted

Yes, she saw 2 pediatricians and two doctors at the hospital. She had a chest xray and an EKG. Everything points to it being Costochondritis but that doesn't show up on an xray-- just based on symptoms.

• Posted

Yup ! When you research this it will not show on an X-ray . They say it's not serious yet it feels so bad when it flares up . Is this muscular or auto immune ? Feel badly that your going child has this . Did her doctors say anything else about it because mine surely did not ! So weird. Never heard of this in my life . I got this later 30's and still have it off and on .

• Posted

Hi Mary,

So Sorry your daughter has Costro. Has she tried motrin in high doses? Short courese? I have been on Neurontin(From my Dr.). It definitely helps. Makes you tired at first. a bit dizzy too, but gets better. Also, soft ice packs and heating pad helps too. It gets better. Also, I have been to rheumatologist just to rule out things. Has she had cat scan? Blood work? etc.  Hang in there. believe it or not, stress plays a role with this too. Try to keep her calm as possible. Maybe watching funy movies. Also Costro streches help as well. Just google them. Good Luck!!   It wil get better. smile

• Posted

Hi Simone,

The dr. just did bloodwork to rule out any auto immune diseases, and examined me. Thank God all auto immune diseases were ruled ouyt.

• Posted

That's great . I had test for Lupus they want me to go see if I have markers for inflammation.

• Posted

Thanks! She was taking Percocets but that didn't seem to help much more than Aleve and made her feel rotten. I gave her as much Advil as I could- 600 mg. She does seem better when she's distracted watching a movie. I'll have to look into the stretches and Neurontin.

• Posted

But you need to ask your doctor about physical therapy . She is too young to be on pain killers . The doctors need to research this condition more . That's why I asked whether it's autoimmune related or muscular . Ask them .

• Posted

Lupus was negative thankfully . Haven't taken the inflammation markers , urea acid test , Lyme disease .hsve to take those .so sick of all the testing it's ridiculous .

• Posted

If it's not inflammation for you maybe it's a strain ? I didn't take the blood test yet for inflammation markers .

• Posted

Good idea Mary. Dont forget soft ice packs and heating pad. The neurontin is not a controled substance, but at first can make you a little tired. Good luck!!! Hang in there
    • Posted

What other test should I take to rule out othe things . What other test did you take ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.