120/100 blood pressure what risk?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is a 120/100 can cause stroke?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If the diastolic (and the systolic - upper reading) is consistently high, then you're more at risk.

If it's only that high occasionally, then no.

If you're worried about the risk of stroke, see your doctor as soon as you can.

• Posted

my usuall bp is 120/90.. and my mistake i smoke a cigaret then take a blood pressure.

• Posted

Not immediately.  Not this year.  Maybe in five to ten.  And actually, the 120 is low enough that the 100 may be a bad read.
    • Posted

thanks for the reply..it lessen my worry..
    • Posted

martymarbella....In my opinion, you're just fine. If you smoked then immediately took your bp readings, it very very likely would not be accurate. If smoking, you should wait 1/2 hr before taking a reading. 120/100 isn't too bad, but the diastolic (lower number) is a little high. You said yourself, that when you take your bp & you haven't smoked, the reading is usually 120/90. If you're uncertain about this, consult your Dr. You also didn't state your age...but I most certainly would keep an eye on the diastolic reading. If you're fairly young, your Dr. would want to know about an elevated diastolic number or any real elevated number for that matter.

• Posted

Thank you mike! what you've said helps me relax.. maybe may anxiety kicks in thats why i worried too much..

• Posted

You're welcome, buddy!. Anxiety is not a good thing for the body at all., & YES, it can cause a spike in bp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.