12weeks post knee replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'd like to know how others are faring at this stage of recovery, maybe compare notes and get hints from people 24 weeks into recovery to see what one could expect.

i was back at work at 7 weeks although still icing regularly. My knee still has patches of swelling which causes an uncomfortable feeling of tightness like a rubber band around the knee. It has patches of numbness and the whole leg still gets very tired if I stand too long or at the end of the working week. I have one leg slightly longer than the other and have had to put in a slight insert into the shoe of the good leg to compensate. Although the original pain is gone and the knee feels quite secure it is still very uncomfortable and I still experience stiffness after a few hours of sitting or neutraltwisted

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Continuing from above; after hours of sitting or inactivity. I ride a stationary bike a few hours per week. I rub the swelling areas to try to diffuse the swelling and this does ease the discomfort for a while. Am I expecting too much too early? How long does total recovery take? The knee is far more stable than it was but the probs are different. Do things improve? Would love to hear how others are faring at 12 weeks recovery or thereabouts
  • Posted

Hi GLORIA,

I think yo are doing really well, but this is a slow recovery and takes a good 12 months for the knee to heel. Small often ironing is a killer for knee replacements so try sitting if possible.I had mine done 8 months ago now and I still get difficult days but get great dats where I am able to do loads. I do feel when I don't move it stiffens. Just remember it takes time small achievements at a time.

• Posted

Thanks Megan. Yes I was thinking that it would take a while but just wanted to hear how others were going. On the whole it's fine, but annoying and  its hard to be patient especially when one lookss fine to everyone else because one is performing everyday duties as before. Good to hear that there is a light at the end. Glad u are having many good days.
  • Posted

Hi, I am about 10 weeks post op. M y knee is still very tight like an elastic band especially around the middle. It is still very numb and the same the whole leg and foot still get very tired. I have stopped the ice and will be starting hydrotherapy soon. I do feel better for the op in regrds to the knee itself. But as we have just starte winter here, I am experiencing more stiffnes with the colder weather. I feel I am walking bertter although still having some issies with the bending. I will keep plodding on regardless. smile
    • Posted

Hi Kim. We sound about the same. I used to do hydrotherapy and it did make a difference. It's just not convenient now I am working again. I guess we have no choice but to keep plodding on. It seems that patience and time is the key to full recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.