13.8 @ Fasting, What's that all about then ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks, on seeing the doctor about another matter it was mentioned that i could be Diabetic; a bit of a shock as you can imagine.

So off to the clinic i go the following week and get some blood taken and a few other tests done. On the day i'm told the dip tests are all normal. Yet two days later when the blood results come back i'm told in no uncertain terms that i do most definitely have Diabetes.

Dr says i'm 13.8 at fasting (i.e. 14 hours after eating / drinking anything).

Obviously i'm a bit freaked and to be honest a bit annoyed as i have no info on this what so ever. All the doctor said was that i'd have to watch my diet and they'd keep an eye on me for an initial 3 month period; any probs and i had to go back?

I have been given an appointment to see a nurse at a special diabetic clinic, but thats not for another fortnight. So in the mean time i'm kind of in limbo with no info, no idea what to do and what not to do.

Can anybody tell me what this means?

I'm assuming i have too much glucose/sugar in my system so that should mean i have to cut back? OR have i got that wrong and its not about what i eat or when i eat, but rather what my body does with it and how its used?

I'm open to any comments, pointers to info sites, etc.

Thanks in advance,

JP.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I read your experience of type 2 diabete.Personnaly I would recommand that you buy a \"' glucometer \"\" ( sorry I am not sure about the proper word in english) ,but it is a very commun instrument that we use to mesure our sugar level in the blood. IT is not very expensive ,but extremely useful and easy to use.Then, note all the different readings.

the time, the date,and try to take readings at different times of the day.

One reading 2 hours after your biggest meal of the day.After a few days

show the results to a health professionnal.,and you will learn a lot more about your condition.Iwish my advise will help. and I wish you good health..... l homme de montreal.

• Posted

Thanks for the comment.

I have bought one of those blood glucose monitors (One Touch Ultra 2) and you're right, it is an amazing bit of kit. I also have a blood pressure monitor to, which i have also found very handy.

Weeks on now and i've yet to get to see a Dr, but i will be seeing nurse now on the 5th. So at least thats one step closer to finding out about this condition.

I wonder if everybody has to weight a month before they get to see a Dr, or am i just lucky in that respect - lol.

JP.

• Posted

hi i read your letter about just being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.im also type 2 have been about 5 yrs.yes your right the doctors dont tell you much about it do they,i found all i wanted to know on the internet.you dont have to do without everything you like to eat.i gave up sugar in my tea stopped eating cakes sweets and biscuits for nearly 2 yrs before i found out you can still eat these things depending on your sugar reading which you have said youve bought a metre to measure your blood sugar.i found that more than cake and chocolate my sugar went high if i had a takeaway like sweet and sour chicken or sweet curries or takeaways.thats what they mean when thet tell you to watch the hidden sugars.if my blood reading is say 5or 6 i can eat a full bar of chocolate and my reading will go to 10 or 11 but soon goes down again.sometimes it will only go up to 6.i also eat cake and biscuits and so do a few of my diabetic freinds.so just watch your readings...
  • Posted

hello. have just spied your letter, and hope you are going along ok.

i have been type 2 diabetic since 2003, and am on metformin, and also three injections a day of insulin. my averages are 6.0. some areas of the uk, the doctors will not let you have the blood testing strips on precription, and they are expensive to buy. they say that type 2 do not need to test, as the tablets give control of the blood sugar. and they also say the three month starve blood test, lets them know how you are doing. once you are in the system you should be allocated a diabetic nurse, and also see the podiatrist, and dietician. you will get lots of info on the 'nhs choice site' and also the diabetic association. as i say hope you are going on ok. let us know how you progress. margaret.e.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.