Skip to content

Diabetes

Also known as Blood Sugar Disorders, Cranial Diabetes Insipidus , Gliclazide, Glucophage, Glucose Tests, Hyperglycaemia, Hypoglycaemia, Metformin, Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus , Pre-diabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes

There are currently 4 million people in the UK living with diabetes; a staggering 6% of the population. Although type 1 and type 2 diabetes are very different conditions, and should be treated as such, keeping on track of your blood sugar and eating the right things are incredibly important in regards to both. Receiving a diabetes diagnosis at any age does not mean your life is over, so long as you take notice of the advice to make important changes to your lifestyle.

All discussions in this group

Next
  • HbA1c Figures and reducing/tapering Prednisolone

I'm posting on behalf of husband (he's not good on computer or keyboard) and we also look for info on the Polymyalgia Rheumatica forum. July 12th he was admitted to Rapid Assessment Unit ater Gp appointmnet ans blood test results - diagnosis PMR + GCA. He was in for 3 days and saw "hordes"...

Last reply
  • Ozempic weekly shot

I am just over a month of diabetes diagnosis. I was put on metformin twice a day. I just went to new primary care and she wants to add Ozempic injections once a week. She says it has also helped with weight loss. Has anyone tried this yet?  And if so any advice or reviews?

Last reply
  • Medformin

Hello, has any one noticed that they developed nurapathy after starting medformin? Think I’m allergic 

Last reply
  • Do I have diabetes? if so what do I do about it?

back in february I had my sugar level checked by my dr she said it was 100, from 70-99 that was with a 24 hour fast. I ordered a kit and some strips,  I just got them in the mail last night. I checked my sugar level and it was 149, granted I did just eat 3 hours before and just finished drinking...

Last reply
  • Sugar spikes

I am diabetic and lately my sugar has been spiking over 200 on my glucose meter. My energy levels have dropped and I sometimes feel miserable. I workout everyday and walk between 1 to 4 miles a day. Any suggestions ?

Last reply
  • High blood sugar

I have had health issues for a while although no one seems to know why. I am a skinny, tired out 43 year old.  I had blood tests a few months back that said blood sugar was good.  Trying to resolve health issues I decided to give up sugar and carbs and pretty much went keto for a good couple...

Last reply
  • GP appointment- what to expect

I have today received a phone call from my GP regarding my last hba1c blood test. I have been called in for a double appointment with the GP. 3 months ago my hba1c was 48, and my recent result was 49. I don’t know what to expect from my GP appointment.  

Last reply
  • Blood sugar levels

I am confused. Type 2 diabetic diagnosed 2 years ago. On metformin not insulin. One of my neighbours is also diabetic type 2. She says he blood sugar is usually around 13. Mine is slightly high. If I take it first ting in the morning before having anything to eat or drink it is usually between 8 and...

Last reply
  • Pre Diabetic help

I recently had some blood work done for PCOS and my results came back with signs of pre diabetes. My doctor hasn’t confirmed it just yet, but says if I keep eating the way I eat and not exercising it will become pre diabetes. Ive tried looking up recipes for breakfast and dinner but each site tells...

Last reply
  • Worried I have diabetes

Hi guys. So a brief about me, i have some mental health and neurological conditions. im awaiting diagnosis for my urinary issues and i have acid reflux and lactose intolerent. Last year I got tested for diabetes and it came back clear however things have changed. Due to my mental health i've binge...

Last reply
  • Blood sugar calculations

I have a glucometer that I test blood sugar morning, and before dinner.  I see many on here that use 2 digit numbers....such as 7.4, etc.  I am assuming that is their a1c, but how do they test that themselves, or is there some sort of conversion calculation I should be using?  I am only...

Last reply
  • My diabetes insipidus journey

I'm a 34 years old and was diagnosed with central diabetes insipidus in Sept 07. This diagnosis followed a prolonged headache (about 2 weeks) and fever (10 days) after which I became extremely thirsty and could hardly sleep for getting up in the night to go to the bathroom! Unfortunately the...

Last reply
  • Am I diabetic or not?

Hi I am 32 years of male. My fasting blood sugar is 7.4 after 75 gm glucose it is 6.0.My hba1c is 5.5%. I am totaly confused now...

Last reply
  • Confused.

My fasting blood sugar is 7.4 and 2 hours after 75 gm glucose it is 6.0.Am I diabetic?

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed....and not sure whats happening!

Good morning!  I am just over a week being diagnosed and am very confused.  As many do, i am researching online and attempting to follow a low carb/sugar diet.  However, my morning reading continues to be high (169 this am).  Last night I wasn't feeling well and only ate a boiled...

Last reply
  • blood sugar and insomnia

For almost 4 months now I've been experiencing on going night time symptoms where I'll wake up anywhere from 130am - 530am.  Around 6am I can fall asleep again for another couple of hours. I've been recording all my waking up times and how I feel. My average waking up time at night is...

Last reply
  • Foot tingling

Recently I am having tingling (pins and needles ??) on the insteps of my feet. I wonder is it due to diabetes and how it can be cured or minimized. I look forward to suggestions. Regards.

Last reply
  • Diabetes

I have heard various people saying that diabetes does not start for individuals at advanced ages. Any views?

Last reply
  • Type 1 diabetes constant high blood sugar

So for the past week I have been struggling with my diabetes quite badly. For the first day I was struggling I had low blood sugars, that bad that I had a hypo for around 2 hours (around 2.6) and I was struggling to get it back up and I was also sick. Since then I was scared of my blood sugars getting...

Last reply
  • Borderline Type 2

I have been having symptoms of type 2 diabetes and had the Hba1c test which came back at 48 mmol which my GP has said is borderline type 2 diabetis. He wants the repeat the test in 3 months (due next month). I have bought a blood glucose monitoring device, my readings have varied from 7.6 up to 11.6....

Last reply
  • Peeing alot, Is this first SYMPTOM ??

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE! i havent been on here in a while, i actually being doing alot better with all my health scares . but lately i been worried about diabetes really really bad! i went to the doctor last week to check for diabetes and my doctor said everything looks fine. my A1C was 5.5 standard range...

Last reply
  • The Impact of Innovation

The Internet of Medical Things (loMT) is the ability of medical devices to communicate with healthcare IT systems.  A wearable device is an example of this concept but over the years not only being able to see patients remotely but also monitoring them remotely has grown rapidly.  The ability...

Last reply
  • Injections leading to large tummy

my husband who is type 1 has injected into his stomach for so long it has made it stick out and is hard.  He is 83 so I dare not say exercise but would anyone know how to remedy this. I may add he is extremely thin everywhere else and I can’t fatten him up.

Last reply
  • Help! Acanthosis Nigricans

For the past couple of years I've always had a very dark neck and underarms. Recently I've decided to do something about it and found out it was acanthosis nigricans. I am not overweight or have diabetes. Also I am getting tested for insulin resistance and PCOS. I'm only 17 years old but...

Last reply
  • Anyone wake up starving at night?

I do so well during the day with eating healthy. For years I have waken up at night starving! I notice my blood sugar is lower than usual but not too low and recently this has gotten worse I had surgery. So im battling with that. Anyone experience this? By eating something at night I think its affecting...

Last reply
  • Injecting insulin

Hi. Im new here but have been diabetic for over 14 years. Lately ive discovered that, instead of holding the pen at top, I now hold it at the bottom a little above the needle(at bottom of pen) not on the needle and I find theres no pain as I do experience pain sometimes the other way.Its working for...

Last reply
  • Glaucoma/AMD

I have been the patient of early Glaucoma and early dry AMD for the last 2.5 years. There is not much change uptill now. Recently, a friend advised me to use Flax Seed meal Powder (good fibre) to help my abdomen issue. I apprehend that Flax Seed  Powder may not have adverse effect on my eye health...

Posted
  • How long does it take Metformin to work?

Hi Guys I have always eaten pretty healthy and for some reason I can get my a1c down, with out meds its 6.5. I was put on victoza and in a week my blood sugars where normal my a1c ended up being a 5.4. but due to how expensive it is in the USA I had to go on metformin and stop the victoza. My sugars...

Last reply
  • Supplements for type 2 diabetes

Has anyone been using supplements for type 2 diabetes successfully, seen any improvements, noticed a difference ? If yes, please tell me.... Chromium Picolivate...reduces cholesterol, cinnamon tablets, alpha lipoic acid, berberine...reduces glucose production in liver, citrus bergamot...raising good...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.