Diabetes

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all. im experiencing a heatwave at the moment here in Galway. so i may have to reduce my insulin intake as sugar levels drop quickly. its difficult to keep a grip on it without going too high. any advice on this situation will be appreciated. my levels went down before bedtime last night so i ate some food. during the night my sugars had rocketed to 15.1. so i injected 9u of humalog mix 75/25 which left me with a sugar level this morning of 5.6. but even then I was worried about injecting normal amount of insulin so i only injected a third of normal which is 4u of the insulin. im slim built so i may be burning insulin quick enough. its all about the insulin intake in this weather. as im still eating the same amount of food. otherwise i would need to eat more food to keep up with the insulin. cheers Kevin..

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am a type 2 and use different insulins, so my advice on insulin may not help you much. I use Tresiba as a long acting, and Trurapi as the fast acting. Tresiba lasts 2-3 days and is easy to work with. Once you find the basal amount just use the same each day. Trurapi is much more difficult. I think the problem we have with insulins is basing what to do on a single BG reading. For the last couple of years I have used the FreeStyle Libre sensor on my arm. Viewing the history and trend is much more helpful in deciding what to do to bring BG into control. I would recommend it even if you can just do one or two sensors as a learning experience. I find exercise to have more of an impact on insulin needs than temperature, but everyone may be different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.