Blood Sugar Levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi im currently not diabetic but my GP has told me i could become diabetic as my sugar levels are all over the place. i have a blood sugar testing meter from a couple of years ago when my doctor wanted my levels checked before and after meals . Just now im really thirsty and having night sweats and it was during these sweats i tested my levels. and it was 6.5. Is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

6.5 for BG is fairly normal. Less than 4 is low, and over 7.0 is high. Most diabetics will be temporarily high after meals though. Diagnosing diabetes is not as simple as it may appear. It is best to get all three tests and then with your doctor decide:

1. 2 hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test - You drink a sugar solution and they test your BG two hours after.
    2. An A1c test
    3. A morning fasting test for BG - Usually done after 12 hours of fasting
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. my waking BG is 6.5 and now after meals when im sweating its 2.7. During the night when i am sweating the BG is 6.5 or 6.6. I will ask the GP about this as you said that 6.5 was normal. I have actually lost a very small amount of weight as well.

• Edited

Perhaps to be more clear for a non diabetic, it is not normal to be 6.5 in the morning fasting. That is a bit high, but not real high.

Not sure if you had a typo, but 2.7 is very low. If that number is accurate, you are in big trouble at 2.7 and need to take immediate action and get help getting some glucose. It is hard to get that low unless you are taking insulin.

It is best not to guess and get all three tests. The only one that takes a bit more time is the OGTT. Still it is worth the extra time it takes. Remember that if any one of the three tests is out of the normal range you need to take action.

• Posted

Thank you. I am seeing the nurse at my doctors in a fee days so i will ask her as they run Diabetic clinics. I just wanted to be sure it was something i should be mentioning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.