13 cm ovarian cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently told I have an ovarian cyst 13 cm with some tumor markers. While they think there is little chance of cancer I am going in to do blood work just to rule it out. Has anyone had a tumor around this size? I was told by the gyno that they would probably try a laparoscopic surgery but there were no guarantees because it was considered rather large. I am 23 so I am concerned about preserving fertility as well as the recovery time for any procedure. I am a teacher and we are about 7 days from testing (these things sure have a strange sense of timing) so I am hoping I could do the procedure over a break and not have to miss work. Anyone with past experience who could share?

3 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Bernadette.

    I wouldnt worry that your so close to tests at work. You will be more rhan likely waiting a while before there doing any surgery. Lots of doctors like to monitor it for a while to see if it grows or shrinks. If it is not causing you any pain or discomfort just delay it untill it suits you. I delayed mine but now im in a lot off pain & my app to see my consultant has been cancelled, which means i now have to wait till the end off april. Im sure all your bloods will come back ok. Its highly unlikley they turn into cancer. Do you know what type off cyst you have?. X

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      They suspect cystadenomas. The doctor told me she wants to operate ASAP because it causes some pain and since it's so large it won't go away but I am hoping to schedule after testing.smile I am getting married in June so they want to try to get me in in March in case they can't do it laproscopically so that i will have time to heal. Whether or not that happens... 

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hopefully everything will go ok for you then. Its just the waiting that is hard. Mine is a dermoid cyst (16cm). Good luck for you wedding & i hope you recover in time ( for the hen night lol). If they do give you a date that is to close to the wedding keep ringing up to see if theres any cancelations..smile.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    13cm should be possible to be done laparoscopically since it can - if there was some liquid inside still - drained or form-manipulated.

    They usually always start out with the most less invasive techique (laparoscopy) also start out with the most ovary saving technique, too.

    If a laparotomy has to be done, it can be cut horizontally into bikini line and will be not obivous at all, maybe even less obvious than a laparoscopy with multiple cuts above the bikini line. ;-) 

    It is very unlikely you would get a vertical cut from top to bottom in the middle of your belly. Just ask out loud if you are concerned.

    Ask, if it was a cyst = liquid inside plus some structures or if it was purely solid mass. If there was a chance of a luteal hemorrhagic cyst (with a blood clot only giving the structures) or not. A hemorrhagic cyst can disappear still. Anything else won't.

    If there was liquid (as well as solid non-blood clot mass), it can be drained and made smaller or squeezed into oval shape for removal and pulled through a small cut.

    My 9cm dermoid (only known via histology. Suggestions ranged from  'nothing, just liquid, simple' to 'oh, there is something inside, it doesn't look benign'....hence I don't trust any imaging prior removal anymore)

    cyst was removed through a bit bigger cut in the belly button since it was flexible cyst, not bland solid mass, but a liquid filled cyst with some solid benign tumor mass (dermoid, hair, brain, bones and all).

    I was 29, no complications, half ovary left where dermoid was = fully functioning, stitched up ovary left behind, and 1 year later married and pregnant successfully to full term.

    The only way to tell what a complex cyst (and I assume yours is a complex one?) is made up of, is via histology.

    No blood tumor marker can tell you. CA125 goes up into 100s even under inflammatory (non cancerous) conditions.

    The markers are great as a starting base to monitor over a course of time, especially after removal of a histologically proven cancer growth, if they significantly rose. (stressing out: significantly, not just a few units, which are within normal testing fluctuation, meaningless)

    But not really much more.

    Since your wedding is a while away and recovery usually really quick, I would rather have it removed now in a term break, at least this year, than later, if it was I.

    Also many people are burdened by the knowledge of having a 13cm cyst = anxiety, monitoring stress, finding risks hard to live with.

    But you know best and work together with your docs please.

    Cyst is not cyst. No one shoe fits all.

    Some people rather live with their cyst/tumor, if they are more or less sure it was benign and not having pain.

    I had no pain, but 9cm was a size, I really wanted to have gone and as histology confirmed: it would have never disappeared, only grown with all the 'twist' risks for the tube.

    And even if one ovary was taken, there is the other one that will do all the work for 2 ovaries, instead of alternating ovulations, having all ovulations in one ovary. Will take adjustment time, but it does work. Also if a cyst/tumor compromises one ovary, the healthy tissue is squeezed and not working the same anyway. So keeping it squeezed to count 2 ovaries is not really that much of a bonus either.

    Then the worries during pregnancy, what the cyst will do.

    Ovary saving removal would be awesome.

    Please talk to your doc, what the options, risks and benefits were. 

    You will find the solution that suits you and your condition. 

    All all the best!


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up