13 days in and still getting worse :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! I am so happy to have found this website and to know others are suffering from PR. I am 28 year old female from the US and have had PR for about 13 days now and am miserable. I was first thought to have dermatitis and was put on steroids for 9 days. I had about ten red oval spots on my torso and back which seemed to dry up after a few days so I thought it was gone. Then a few days later I broke out in thousands of red tiny marks that are every where from my neck to my thighs. Every time I think it is getting better I see new spots somewhere else on my body. It is so discouraging and itchy and I cannot wait for it to go away.

I was finally diagnosed with PR and was told there isn't much I can do sad. I have been bathing with head and shoulders every day and taking bendadryl and vitamins.  My doctor also put me on erythromycin for two weeks but I honestly think it is doing nothing. I am going away on vacation in one month from today and am just praying that my PR will at least fade slightly before then. I have heard that going tanning helps which I have not tried yet. I am very fair skinned so I am concerned it will make it worse.

Has any who is very fair skinned gone tanning and saw good results? I am determined to try it but was wondering if tanning has actually made it worse for anyone? Any advice is appreciated..I am already so sick of dealing with this sad

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I'm sorry you have this! I had this from March to May I did all the things your doing now but I found the best thing to do it leave it alone.

I took vitamin C in the mornings and went to tanning shop. I found this really helped and dried the patches out.

I was a mess, I hated my body!

Unfortunately it has to get worse to get better.

Just remember it will go!

Keep us posted on your progress x

• Posted

Thank you! I'm trying not to think about it but every day I just think its getting worse and its so discouraging! Thanks for your advice though!

• Posted

Tanning helped dry mine up but I am not fair skinned but I would start at only about 5-6 min per session. It did help me greatly. I wish I would have begun that treatment sooner. Since it dried them out it did make mine itchier but mine weren't that itchy to start with they were just irritating like I had stickers in my clothes.

• Posted

I have such pale skin and I have literally tanned in the Spanish sun for the last 7 days. It is completely gone except where I have been wearing a bikini! Don't be afraid to get a bit burnt... I did it by accident and the results were amazing!!! Good luck !!

• Posted

I went tanning yesterday and at first and made the bumps so red and irritated but today I woke up and it seems to look slightly better. I'm going to keep trying and hopefully it'll go away!

• Posted

Hi I first got my Herald patch 4 weeks ago and secondary spots 2 weeks ago. I have had 3 different diagnoses; atopic eczema, discoid eczema and finally PR. I have been soooo upset about it, particularly as I'm due to go on holiday. The itching is unbearable and I am constantly finding new patches. How has tanning helped you? I am debating to start using sun beds as a last resort as I am desperate to see improvement! 

• Posted

I only went tanning once. When I got home from tanning the spots were super red and I was like oh my god I made it worse! But when I woke up the next day they were the same as they were before so I'm not sure how I feel about tanning. I haven't been back tanning. I'm super pale and I just don't feel like it's good for me.

I know how you feel I had been so upset about it too! I keep wanting it to just go away then get so upset when it gets worse! It's awful. It's summer and I can't wear tank tops and am always hot sad My rash looks slightly better but still is itching and really bad on my arms and back. I have been taking immune system boosters and hoping it'll start to kick in. Good luck if you find any magical cures lemme know smile

• Posted

I went on the sun bed yesterday for 9 mins (I'm a red head and very fair skinned) and plastered my body in sudocrem afterwards! When I woke up this morning the spots were not as red and were more dry and flaky which I'm hoping can only be a good thing! Hope your getting on okay too smile

• Posted

I'm a 32 year old female from the UK. I've just been diagnosed with it :-(

I have the herald patch on my tummy. ....and now all the little ones are emerging on my arms.

I've been suffering from fatigue for about 6 weeks now. I wonder if it's linked? As all my bloods came back ok.

I'm really dreading it.....not sure how bad it will get :-(

At least we know it will go......:-)

• Posted

I think fatigue is for sure linked to this. I feel sooo tired everyday. I have little bumps all down both my arms front and back its so ugly. It's the middle of summer here so I can't not wear short sleeves sad Just try to stay positive and not think about it. It is hard to believe this will go away with the way it looks now but I'm hopeful! Keep us posted on how things are going!

• Posted

Ahhhh.....it's summer here too.....and I know how you feel. Mine hasn't got that bad yet on my arms. My herald patch I can hide.

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one suffering with fatigue (i mean that in the best way possible :-D )....I thought I was losing the plot. As doctors said I'm fine. I started to question myself that I wasn't just being lazy!

Yes.....staying positive is key......and it's a blessing that we have something that will go away.....

Good luck with everything ams keep is posted :-)

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed yesterday and I'm terrified to hear it gets worse. I go on vacation Monday and back to work next Tues. I am in crazy hot/humid South Florida so not only is wearing long sleeves not comfortable, I sadly don't own any!

Does anyone have this without it reaching your arms? Torso and legs I can cover.

I too am exceptionally fair skinned. Tanning is not an option as I am already at high risk for melanoma.

Has anyone tried Sarna itch cream (original with menthol) when they aren't using prescription steriod creams? Nothing seems to work for me. I've tried oral antihistamines too (Benadryl) as well as topical Benadryl. Has anyone had luck with oatmeal baths? I'm going out of town in 5 days, couldn't be worse timing. I've got to take everything possible with me.

I also read that antibiotics can make this worse? I was on Ceftin as I got this!

So glad at least, I'm not alone in this.

• Posted

I was given triamcinolone acetonide cream by my doctor and told to take steroid cream but neither seem to do much. I have been putting diaper cream on my rash and it seems to help dry it out in some areas. Unfortunately this is my third week having it and no spots are gone yet though it does seem to be looking dryer in some areas. My rash never covered my legs but my arms are really bad.

Sorry to hear you have this! I'm going on vacation very soon and having this could not be at a worse time either! Try to boost your immune system with vitamins and eating well. I wish I could say I've found a cure but haven't yet sad good luck with everything and keep us posted!

• Posted

Thanks so much! Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I am going to make a separate post called "What I did 1st 2 weeks" to update.  Without sun and that steriod cream that only worked a bit, I've made progress!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.