13 days late can Levothyroxine be the cause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi im 28 grs old So last period was on 4/8/18 .. It is now 5/20/18 .. 13 days late and i been takin test like every other day and nothing but negatives.... so i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the end of March im not remembering the levels... but dr put me on 75mg of Levothyroxine... and i thought it was pretty high i felt so heavy headed the first day i started meds which was on april 15th the day of my last period ... they last a week and usually very heavy up to day 4... now im wondering and hearing that this medication throws off menstrual cycles and all so by now im sure at least a faint line would of appeared if preganant right? And i had intercourse but my bf did not finish or ejaculate it was like a fast type of thing wasnt into it so now i created so much stress on my body i started psyching myself out that i was pregnant and im sure that isnt helping either I'm not ttc at all cannot afford to have a child for many reasons... so im hoping its meds for sure... anyone else experiencing this or has started this med and had the same thing happen would like to know thank you for your time

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I’m in a similar situation. I recently started taking 75mcg of Levothyroxine, first dose was May 11th. My most recent period should have started May 15th and it still has yet to come. There’s a slim chance I could be pregnant but took a test on Thursday and it was negative. My periods are pretty regular and I wouldn’t have thought that with taking Levothyroxine with only days before my period should have started it would make it wacky but I don’t know. I’ll wait til the 23rd or so and test again and if negative ask my doctor if it’s the Levothyroxine. Sorry I’m not much help. 
    • Posted

I have a feeling it is the meds I'm just curious ive heard women say that throws it off or something thank u For the response .. And you are help dnt worry if you dnt mind if u dnt get your period soon and go to ur doctor can u let me kno what they tell u? thank u

• Posted

Unfortunately I never missed a period only when pregnant. Every 28 days without fail. Pregnancy.was.easy comparably. But everyone is different and your body probably adjusting. 75mcg is not that high.I take 2x that.
    • Posted

Ive never missed one either... so i just keep gettin negatives i dont have amy symptoms... and im just stressing out i guess i will go to the dr and get a blood test done this is the las thing i need is to be pregnant... *sigh* but hopefully I'm not

• Posted

Hello Laura, are you trying to get pregnant?

Thyroxin levels are very related to the rest of the endocrine system, which includes the reproductive organs. We think of the putuitary gland as the master control- the pituitary controls thyroid levels, adrenals, reproductive hormones (edtrogen, progesterone, testosterone) levels...

Thyroid medication replaces thyroxin in the body. As the thyroxin increase, your pituitary gland registers the increased levels and the pituitary decreases its output of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).

Changes in pituitary  function  will absolutely effect your cycle. I’ve never quite been able to get a perfect explanation of how the thyroid ties in with menstral cycles. I know for me, that when my thyroxin is low, my progesterone levels  drop, resulting in heavier periods that are close together (a week between at the worst), the adrenals are part of the progesterone production, so I suspect the adrenal burnout that often accompanies thyroid disease, contributes to the low progesterone.

In the end, getting thyroxin levels on track should help regulate your cycle. However, I found that the (synthetic levothyroxin) meds tend to lighten the flow and lengthen the cycle time. My cycle was like clockwork prior to the thyroid medication, and I didn’t like the effects of the medication on my cycle- as the cyclecwas lengthened and the duration (flow) became very short. The whole thing was irregular. The flow was similar to how it was on birth control pills, but irregular and longer cycles.

But the levothyroxin didn't work at all for me in the end, and the cycle change was just one aspect of the side effects of this medication.

• Posted

Wow so Much info thank you so much!! Now i now more into depth with your explanation... And no I'm not trying to get pregnant at all I'm actually trying to avoid it as best as i can .. so ill be laying off the sex for a while or when i do use protection because well sometimes its just the spare of the moment and well i made a dumb decision... to mess around .. but it gives me a bit of ease and comfort to think that the meds are most likely the reason of my period absence... the only other negative part of it is well i feel anxious that lethargic n weird feeling when your body needs your menstrual.. so I'm hoping to get it soon going on 2 weeks without now ! ..

• Posted

MVCath. The ovaries produce female hormones. My progestone and estrogen were sky high when I was first dxd at 35. When my TSH was 65. I never missed a period unless pregnant. Birth control pills really mess things up even when you stop and depletes B6.to.deficiency levels...dangerous

• Posted

I see .. well ive never been pregnant before so i wouldnt know with all of this going on ...

I wana go with that its the thyroid meds on my end due to the fact if no symptoms changes or anything... no implantation bleeding ... or anything else .. and im guessing at this point i wouldnt still be getting negatives .. at least faints ... But praying im not so hopefully its just the Levothyroxine in my case .

• Posted

hi! may I ask if you got pregnant or your delayed period was because of the levothyroxine? thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.