13 days post tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

have been suffering bad with pain. But what worries me is the pain from behind the knee going upwards. I am so tender there I can't sit down or get in the car 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i think maybe your meds need looking at maybe your not taking enough !! pain at back of knee is certainly part of it not unusual for it to be going upwards its just pressure from op it was a good few weeks before i felt comfortable in the car every bump felt in the knee i hated going in the car ,it will ease just make sure sure your not taking too little meds take as much as you need  good luck to you
  • Posted

I couldn't get in the car at 13 days either. . Well, I did have to get in to get home from the hospital, but it was VERY painful, and I didn't do it again until I had to at the three week consultation with the doc. .  . .but make sure you are taking your meds and that they are strong enough . . .Unfortuantely, however, pain is pretty normal with this operation!
    • Posted

Thanks Martin. It's reassuring to know that what is happening is actually normal x
    • Posted

13 days is not a nice place to be!  I found that things did imporve a bit around three to four weeks . . . and by six weeks I was walking really well.  Around eight  weeks i stopped taking meds, and realised how much I was dependent on them!  the pain came back and by the evening the leg was screaming at me, so iI started taking them again, and eased off gradually.  It is a long hard job I'm afraid. . . you will find that you seem to do really well one day, and then the next day it's as if you've gone back a couple of weeks.  don;t let that depress you . . it seems to happen to most of us.
    • Posted

Oh my goodness Martin. There was I hoping to go back to work at 8 weeks. I regret ever having this done at the moment. I was in terrible pain before but this is something else!
    • Posted

Most of us regretted having it done at thirteen days!  But look at it this way. . You say that before you were in pain, and that pain was only going to get worse with time.  Now you re in worse pain . . but it WILL get better, and you will be able to walk without pain.  At thirteen days it all get on top of us. . no sleep, pain, having to rely on other people for simple things . . worrying that it isn't going to  be OK, dreading the physio . . .been there, done that!  And for about six weeks i swore that I wished I hadn't had it done . . Por hubby must have been fed up with me moaning, crying for no reason, depressed etc. etc. . . and I know it's difficult to believe, but it will get better fairly soon, and you'll join the crowd who ARE glad they had it done!  But do check that you have good medication . . it is essential. 
    • Posted

Oh thank you so much for all of that. Every word you said is true of what I am experiencing. Thanks again for taking the time to reply x
    • Posted

BY THE WAY, EIGHT WEEKS WOULD BE VERY EARLY TO GO BACK TO WORK. OF COURSE IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU DO, WHAT THE TRAVELLING TO AND FROM WORK IS LIKE. .  but (whoops, sorry about the capitals) but it might lead to unnecessary stress about hurrying the healing process. . and aiming at 12 seeks as a minimum is more realistic . . . 

• Posted

Yes I am beginning to think that 8 weeks is a bit too soon. Thanks for the advice
  • Posted

Yhst could be from the way you are favoring the bad leg, walking with shortsteps and a limp. It can reall cause things to tighten up an really hurt when you try to move. Sometimes massage can really help. Even a little good oil (I've lways used vit E) can soften things up
  • Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago. It was quite a while before I could sit comfortably and getting in and out of car was difficult.

At 4 months I went on holiday from where I live in Wales to Weymouth.

Quite a long coach journey and I just managed it.

Hopefully this will settle down.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Sue, I am 17 weeks post and just got back from Dr. I actually parked as far away from the building as I could instead of using handicap sign. That's how good I feel now. I found sitting on a pillow helped in hard chairs for when it hurts at the back of my leg. 8 weeks IS Too soon to go back to work. Give yourself the time to heal. This is YOUR time. And keep us posted . It does get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.