13 months in and starting antiviral meds

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys.  So I'm almost 13 months in.  I met with a 5th doctor last week- a natural path that specializes in medial mysteries and IV vitamin therapy.  

She thinks I do not have CFS but have a viral overload from the EBV virus that my body is just having a hard time getting under control.  Makes sense to me. 

So I've been on an antiviral medication for 2 weeks and it's made a huge difference.  I can now manage day to day stuff.  The flu-ish feeling is way less.  I still wake up with extremely fatigued muscles but instead of lasting all morning it goes away within 15 minutes.  I can't exercise yet but walking/grocery shopping/cleaning/going to dinner are all things I can manage now.   

If you look up treating prolonged mono or even CFS with antivirals there is some good research into it.  It stops the virus from replicating.  I'm going on them for 3-5 months and hoping it eradicates this for good.  Also next week I start IV vitamin C!  50 grams per session.  Hoping it doesn't make me feel worse but preparing to relapse a bit as my immune system kicks into gear fighting this awful virus.  

I just wanted to offer a first hand account of the anti viral medication working.  Depending on which brand you get- with insurance it was only $30 for two months supply.  And I don't have any side effects.   

Hope you are all well!  I am sooooo looking forward to autumn smile 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

great to hear that you have less muscle fatigue and generally feeling better. I have had this for about 5/6 months and seems like I can do the same stuff as you. No heavy excercise but going for short walks is a great way to get the mood up and your body working. 

I also went to a naturopath and did some energy boosting and anti-viral IV’s. I think they definetely helped me get back some strength when I was very weak but I’ve stopped doing them now because I haven’t noticed any effects after my own body started to heal a bit more. They also recommended some antibacterial/antiviral supplements for me called berberis formula. May I ask what supplements your doctor gave you? I have been taking mine and I have been getting better slowly, not sure if it’s becaude of them but it doesn’t hurt to take them either way. 

Hoping things keep going up from here for you! 

• Posted

Hey there! Are you on berberine? I tried that for a month but it seemed to make my stomach more upset oddly enough. 

Right now I’m on acyclovir 3x day, biotin (I was deficient), NAC, l-Carnitine, coq10, iron, vitamin c, and a strong adrenal tincture.  I start the hard core vitamin c next week but so far the acyclovir seems to be helping.  There’s a really interesting human trial going on with a drug company called Cortene. They think they’ve found the cure for cfs and possibly fibromyalgia and chronic Lyme. I’m keeping an eye on that too! 

When did you first get mono? No one seems to know why I wake up so much worse. Sleep apnea and mold have been thrown around. 

• Posted

Hard to tell exactly when I got sick because the anxiety came first and everything followed and got worse very slowly over time, but I crashed and became very weak in may and that’s when I knew something was wrong. 

When i was at my weakest in may the mornings were always worse and I always felt weak when I woke up. Throughout the day my energy would pick up a bit, I think this is just the way this virus is. 

Yes I have been taking Berberine and I am also on an iron supplement. I did some blood tests to check my iron before I realized I had mono because we thought that was causing my sudden onset of anxiety and turns out my ferritin was at 15, which is quite low. Which medication are you taking that is specifically for the virus? 

• Posted

Oh yeah gotcha.  My ferritin was at 24 and they want it at 50.  So mine's not as bad as yours but still not ideal.

The acyclovir is specifically for the virus.  They use it for herpes outbreaks and since EBV is in the herpes family, maybe that's why it works.  It can take several months to progress on it but either it's a huge coincidence or it started working on me within 3 days.  First two days I was exhausted and then like magic I pulled out of it.  I haven't been perfect but am at least 40% better than the last few months.  

• Posted

Interesting, I will look into the acyclovir. Anything to help speed up recovery is much appreciated as I would like to be able to go back to school in September and not feel too drained. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa, thats great news! Would you happen to know what brand/ the name of the anti viral meds you are on? Im currently 11 months in but my blood Ferritin levels are still really high (370), wich suggests my body is still trying to get the virus under control as well. My current Natrapath has run out if suggestions now as my body is not responding the way she had hopef with my current vitamin/herb treatments. With the high vitamin c treatment, it does make a difference but can cause digestive issues/discomfort. Although Ive never had it via iv, orally the high dose tends to give me a stomach ache. Thankyou for your insite, knowledge is power. Best of luck
    • Posted

hey Sweebee!  I'm on Acyclovir 800 mg 3x day.  Yeah I got to where nobody knew what to do and I remembered going on this antiviral in January and that's the best I felt.  I only did 6 weeks though and progressively got worse after I stopped it.  So we are hoping that 3-5 months will do the trick.

The IV vitamin C bypasses your stomach so no stomach upset.  But I guess your body reacts to vitamin c as if it was glucose and pumps a ton of insulin out and that can cause your blood sugar to drop.  I'm told to eat during the session and that I might get a fever for a day or two while my immune system is kicked into gear.  Ugh.  Not looking forward to that.  

Hope you find something that works!! 

• Posted

Hello Lisa,

Really glad to hear that the anti-viral medication is making a difference, that is really good to hear and hope it can be the thing that finally kicks this into touch for you once and for all. I did myself think about anti-virals when I went through the virus and thought that would be a good option, but I would never have been able to get my own doctor to prescribe that the way they work, so it never became a realistic option. But it is good to know that you've had a good experience on these so far, and something for others to note if they have been going through as hard and long a period of the virus as you have.

Still thinking about you Lisa and believing that this second year is going to be one of recovery and freedom and happiness again in your life because you are getting better! Do keep us posted how things are going with the treatment and hoping it can be a great autumn as you say!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig! Yeah my naturalpath was the one who prescribed it- before when I was seeing just a general oractioner they wouldn’t.  Crazy how different doctors can be!!

I will for sure keep you updated! Hoping to finally be rid of this.  

Has your week been a bit better? I hope so! Does the weather affect your symptoms at all? 

• Posted

Thanks Lisa, yes definitely keep us updated and hoping and believing this will be the start of a full and total recovery for you - trusting God praying for His help and healing. 

My week was more settled than the one before which had been a really tough one for me. Still a long way to go myself, I know I need to have a better attitude and everything as well which has let me down a bit at times. Sometimes the weather can affect symptoms yes, just depends really. Just hoping God can have mercy on us all and sort everything out that we've been going through and help us to be good people and become wiser and better for the experiences we have been through.

Thanks as always for all the kind words and encouragement - means so much! Thinking about you!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.