13 Months on

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello people another monthly update about this terrible condition. Im nearly fully okay touch wood, however the virus attacked my thyroid rendering it under active. Im now on 100mcg of levothyroxine which I had to get used to. Glandular fever doesn't discriminate, whether your fat thin rich poor healthy or not it will strike you down. I have been completely changed by it in more ways than one. Whether it be the sudden tiredness or feeling off balance like on a ship. It is life changing in my view. Im 25 years old yet feel I have aged 40+ years in just a year. By far though the main change is my mental health. I used to be very confident and nothing rarely bothered me. Now though I have bad bouts of anxiety over absolutely nonsensical things and I often now have depressive episodes. I don't want medication for them though. I just try to get on with it. Overall Im probably 85% recovered. 

Thanks for reading people  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Did you suffer from nausea? Im 11 months in and i have nausea nearly all the time, however it worsens with stress and anxiety so im thinking it could be a mental thing. All my tests came back fine
    • Posted

Hey Maisie,

I think the nausea is coming from the anxiety. My anxiety this morning caused me to have no appetite, and made me feel a bit nauseas. 

I’m not saying that’s where your nausea is coming from, but anxiety could have a part of it. 

• Posted

Hey Jelley.  I’m a month behind you. I still struggle with muscle weakness/fatigue and occasional nausea.  It’s so weird because January was much better for me. And it’s hard to find a pattern or make sense of it. Glad you are doing better though! 
  • Posted

Hi Jelly, 

By the sounds of it you have made great progress! And I totally believe you will fully recover and you are almost there!

By the sounds of it, your anxiety and depression probably come from the wacking this virus has given you. It really has shaken things up. I believe for you that when you fully recover your anxiety and depression will go away, as you should have nothing to worry about then! 

• Posted

Hi Jelley,

its good to hear that physically you are on the way to a full recovery! 

This virus really affects you mentally and I can absolutely empathize with losing your confidence. I never had anxiety issues and small things never used to bother me, it’s like this virus just totally changes the way you look at things. I always told myself I would never try medication for anxiety or depression but if you find yourself struggling often, there is no reason not to try and help yourself, yes? It is not for everyone, but if it helps there is no shame in it. There are of course other ways to cope and it’s always good to talk with people who are close to us. 

Glad that you have made so much progress and i hope you get back to 100% as soon as possible! 

Dominika 

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. Dominika I read your post about the unbalanced feeling. It does eventually go but it does take ages. Thanks again people
  • Posted

HI Jelley,

It's good to see a post from you, I was 25 when the virus hit me too and went through a very hard time similar to yourself. I'm 36 now and want to reassure you that this thing does get fully better, after 13 months I was probably at a very similar stage to you, maybe feeling 85% better and just grateful I wasn't in the intense phase anymore. But my experience was that my body continue to get stronger over the next year or so, until I was back at 100% or as near as, and able to live a full and active life again - Year 2 was so much more liberating and healthy thank Year 1, and it was a great year to live in because of that. Really hoping that Year 2 can be the year of full recovery for you too Jelley, thinking about you and the depression and low mood this thing can cause can be so awful and frightening, but as you see improvement you do feel better physically and mentally, and still believing you are going to get through this and back to full health once again! God willing you've weathered the worst of this the last 13 months and there will be better and amazing times ahead!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.