13 weeks on Sertraline - my success story!

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to share my story with you all start to finish as I promised myself as some of us do that when we felt better we would share our story to help others who need it. Remember that the reason you don't see many positive stories is because those who feel better carry on with their lives as I have and often don't want to recall bad times in their mind.

First of all, please do not think that you will not get better because you will. We all think 'this won't happen for me' and 'this is me now and I just have to live with it.' If I can get better then I promise you can too.

I have now been on Sertraline for 13 weeks. I had what I call a mini breakdown around 3 months ago which at the time felt completely out of the blue. However when many of us feel better we realise that we actually feel better than we did beforehand because there was some underlying anxiety/depression that we'd perhaps not noticed or ignored.

I had a severe panic attack one day that took me to a&e and it all spirraled from there to a point where I wasn't sleeping or eating, I was having many panic attacks a day and waking up everyday in tears. One day I cried for 7 hours pretty much continuously. I realised that the Propranolol and Diazepam I had been prescribed just weren't cutting it and so decided to go onto Sertraline with my doctor. I was absolutely devastated that I was on antidepressants and couldn't believe it had happened to me.

The next two weeks were the worst of my life. I was one of the unlucky ones who had awful side effects: complete loss of appetite, insomnia, headache, brain zaps, fatigue and the worst of all increased anxiety. I started on 25mg for a week then 50mg. I couldn't do anything but cry and panic all the time, I was terrified to leave my home even though I've always been an outgoing person. I completely isolated myself from everyone apart from a couple of close friends/family/boyfriend who had to basically baby me for these two weeks. 

The third week, things really picked up and I started doing simple things with someone else such as going to Tesco or for a long walk. Then weeks 4,5,6 and even 7 I felt bad again. Not quite week 1 & 2 when I had all the side effects but still very anxious. I believe that I had severe anxiety but then developed depression from being so upset and self-pitying/blaming myself/feeling like a failure/feeling like I was going to lose everything.

Then week 8, I had booked a 2 week holiday earlier this year and I was sure I wouldn't go. But it came round and I did go and it was great. The anxiety was still there but I felt 70% back to normal which was just the most incredible feeling. When I returned, I slumped back down for a week. Back to reality and an increase in depression and anxiety. This was very difficult after feeling relatively better but I had still spent 4 weeks going back and forth on whether to increase my dose or not. My doctor said something to me which really stuck in my mind which was if you don't feel yourself yet then what do you have to lose? You can always go back down to 50mg.

The next day I took my first 100mg and was waiting for the horrific side effects to kick in. And absolutely nothing happened. However, after around 7 days on 100mg, my depression had completely disappeared. I had gone from thinking life was pointless and that I was worthless and a burden on everyone who I knew to feeling happy again, laughing, initiating plans with my friends, going on nights out. It was amazing!

I had a small set back when my tablet brand changed as I went to a different pharmacy. I was told that this made no difference by the pharmacist so thought nothing of it but within 2 days I had a splitting headache and the fatigue returned so I got a new prescription and continued with the same brand I was previously on. It was a bit of an annoying setback but within a few days I was back to normal. 

I am now on week 13 and week 3 of 100mg and I feel 90% back to my normal self and I am positive with more time I will be 100%. I started a new job last week and have been absolutely fine. I feel confident again and looking forward to the future.

I wanted to write this post because I promise no matter how bad you're feeling now I have been there and it does get better. It is such an isolating illness that makes you feel alone. I would spend all day on this forum searching for answers and positive stories in tears and panic. And that's why I wanted to share my story with you all as so many helped me in my time of need and I hope this helps at least one person. I feel so narcissistic writing about myself for so long haha but I wanted to give a full overview to be as helpful as I could. Below I will write a few things I realised in my recovery and also some things that helped when I felt helpless. 

1. Caffeine is a major cause of anxiety. I have completely cut this out of my life and now only drink decaffeinated and no fizzy drinks. It is a lifestyle change but you won't believe the difference it makes. 

2. Things to do in the potentially awful first couple/few weeks: read, play a game, do sudoku and crosswords, knit, anything to occupy your mind.

3. I took up jogging once my side effects eased. Jogging is great as even when you're feeling anxious you can put your headphones in and put your head down and let all that anxious energy out.

4. Buy a self help book. I'm not sure if I can write which one I bought here but do some research online and see which have good reviews. It was brilliant at understanding what was going on and gave lots of useful and effective tools to help in your everyday life.

5. Do not be afraid to increase!! I spent far too long worrying about being on antidepressants and increasing my dose. Who cares!!! If you have a chance to feel better go for it!!!

6. Alcohol - I have found that I don't get any more drunk on Sertraline than without. If anything perhaps a little less. Just be careful because if you have depression, it's the day after drinking that is the downfall, not the actual drinking itself. But I seem to be fine now.

I hope that you all feel some relief soon. Do not worry about being on tablets, increasing if you feel you need to and panic when you don't instantly feel better. It is not a sprint it's a marathon as frustrating as it is. You will get there!! xx

36 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate, I am so happy to see your post as I am also suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. It came from nothing... suddenly I had terrible shaking, heart palpitations, diarrhoea..twitching muscles... since two month. I thought I can manage without medication... but I went to the doctor and gave me Sertaline 50 mg... I felt worse after I read the horrible side effects... and when I had good days I thought I don't need it.... but now I can see I can't coop with it at all. I feel terrible coz I don't understand how anxiety can coz there physical symptoms plus soooooo soooo scared to take the Sertaline. I have Xanax and Propanolol as well but I think these aren't enough:-(

• Posted

Brilliant story thank you. Glad you are feeling better.

I have just been prescribed these after Fluoxetine was unsuccessful.

Similarly propranolol just isn't cutting it.

Currently working full time and really weighting up whether or not to start these. I have a feeling 3/4 weeks of side effects will probably lose me my job. I have had a bit of time off already with anxiety, panick attacks and Fluoxetine side effects rolleyes

• Posted

This is beatiful to read and gives people like me fighting terrible anxiety right now some hope. I know this discussion is 3 months old and i myself am on 50mg and wanting to increase as i am still not myself. 
  • Edited

hello actually your right about most of the people after getting better they just don't came to this site to tell about their improvement. I have been 3 month im taking sertraline 50mg for inxiety and depression now I feel completely fine like before im really happy with it

• Posted

Hi haji!

That’s great, I’m so glad it’s working for you too smile happy new year xx

• Posted

thank you. just starting out and feeling a little more hopeful now.

• Posted

Awww Kate I am not even sure if you use this forum anymore but just wanted to say a big big thank you! Although I tried not to I initially trawled the internet after being prescribed sertraline after also having a “mini meltdown” out of the blue. I was terrified to begin the medication and when I finally did 14 weeks ago I had a rough ride with increased anxiety. I only took 25mg which I am still on! Finally after about 8-10 weeks my anxiety disappeared and  felt great! However four weeks later it is back again and I am deliberating upping my dose (I know 25mg is low but I upped to 50mg in the early days and got worse) I read your post which really really helped and I want to say a huge thank you. I am going to up the dose and see how I get on. I think it’s tough when you have had a settled period and it comes back as you go back to all the feelings in the beginning like “this is me forever” posts like yours help so much and I want to thank you for taking the time.

Most of us contribute when we feel rubbish so I am super grateful to you xxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Jayne!

This is a crazy coincidence as I haven’t been on here in a year but came on tonight to write my success story of now coming off sertraline! I am so pleased to see your comment and that my journey is helping you with yours. And if it helps, coming off has been 1 million times easier than going on  so try and remember that when you’re increasing. 

Best of luck to you and if you have any questions I will check this account for the next few days please feel free to ask. Xxx

• Edited

This post is 2 years old and Kate probably wont see this! But bravo to her from a friend in America. my 25 year old daughter is in her 7th week on sertraline for depression, was doing great last week but decided to take a freelance job which she wasnt quite ready for, and the resulting stress caused her to relapse. she let them know she couldnt continue with the job and we are hoping she will once again feel better. this post gave me hope.

• Posted

hello,

thank you for share your story. great story.. I have been on zoloft 11 weeks for depression and panic attack. the dose increase 100 to 150. i still have side effect. i still have zap brain, memory problem, not feel well. i hope this issue go aways. HAVE YOU had the short term memory problem before zoloft kick in?

THANKS

• Edited

i am starting zoloft today i have a chemical imbalance, depressed and anxious and i want to get back to myself. i am excited to get this med in my system to start feeling better and get out of this anxious state

• Posted

Glad to read your detailed positive message.

This does help people who are having difficulties.

I have been on Zoloft for awhile now. About 5 years. Felt great for 4.5 years.

Past October 50 mg dose was not working. In past 4 months I have upped the dose gradually to 150 mg. Since past week I am starting to feel a lot better. Very minimal side effects and I manage that with ativan as needed. Usually 0.25 mg of ativan does the trick.

I will wait another 2 - 3 weeks and see how it goes. If it does not get better I might up it to 175 mg.

I am certain that it will get the results I want.

Bottom line is one has to be patient and it will work. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your dosage.

Good luck and hope you feel 100%.

• Edited

Are you still fine?

• Edited

Kate, your story helped me when my daughter was suffering from depression in fall 2018, it really gave me hope. Her journey followed yours exactly, she was her old self again in 13 weeks! So I have saved the link to both of your experiences, and I now share that link with others who are struggling on this site. Thought you'd like to know that's why you may be hearing from folks.

• Posted

Hey Sandi, I'm so glad to hear it! I think I remember your story about your daughter a couple of years back. So glad to hear she's doing well. It's so kind of you to continue helping others on here xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.