13 weeks on Sertraline - my success story!

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to share my story with you all start to finish as I promised myself as some of us do that when we felt better we would share our story to help others who need it. Remember that the reason you don't see many positive stories is because those who feel better carry on with their lives as I have and often don't want to recall bad times in their mind.

First of all, please do not think that you will not get better because you will. We all think 'this won't happen for me' and 'this is me now and I just have to live with it.' If I can get better then I promise you can too.

I have now been on Sertraline for 13 weeks. I had what I call a mini breakdown around 3 months ago which at the time felt completely out of the blue. However when many of us feel better we realise that we actually feel better than we did beforehand because there was some underlying anxiety/depression that we'd perhaps not noticed or ignored.

I had a severe panic attack one day that took me to a&e and it all spirraled from there to a point where I wasn't sleeping or eating, I was having many panic attacks a day and waking up everyday in tears. One day I cried for 7 hours pretty much continuously. I realised that the Propranolol and Diazepam I had been prescribed just weren't cutting it and so decided to go onto Sertraline with my doctor. I was absolutely devastated that I was on antidepressants and couldn't believe it had happened to me.

The next two weeks were the worst of my life. I was one of the unlucky ones who had awful side effects: complete loss of appetite, insomnia, headache, brain zaps, fatigue and the worst of all increased anxiety. I started on 25mg for a week then 50mg. I couldn't do anything but cry and panic all the time, I was terrified to leave my home even though I've always been an outgoing person. I completely isolated myself from everyone apart from a couple of close friends/family/boyfriend who had to basically baby me for these two weeks. 

The third week, things really picked up and I started doing simple things with someone else such as going to Tesco or for a long walk. Then weeks 4,5,6 and even 7 I felt bad again. Not quite week 1 & 2 when I had all the side effects but still very anxious. I believe that I had severe anxiety but then developed depression from being so upset and self-pitying/blaming myself/feeling like a failure/feeling like I was going to lose everything.

Then week 8, I had booked a 2 week holiday earlier this year and I was sure I wouldn't go. But it came round and I did go and it was great. The anxiety was still there but I felt 70% back to normal which was just the most incredible feeling. When I returned, I slumped back down for a week. Back to reality and an increase in depression and anxiety. This was very difficult after feeling relatively better but I had still spent 4 weeks going back and forth on whether to increase my dose or not. My doctor said something to me which really stuck in my mind which was if you don't feel yourself yet then what do you have to lose? You can always go back down to 50mg.

The next day I took my first 100mg and was waiting for the horrific side effects to kick in. And absolutely nothing happened. However, after around 7 days on 100mg, my depression had completely disappeared. I had gone from thinking life was pointless and that I was worthless and a burden on everyone who I knew to feeling happy again, laughing, initiating plans with my friends, going on nights out. It was amazing!

I had a small set back when my tablet brand changed as I went to a different pharmacy. I was told that this made no difference by the pharmacist so thought nothing of it but within 2 days I had a splitting headache and the fatigue returned so I got a new prescription and continued with the same brand I was previously on. It was a bit of an annoying setback but within a few days I was back to normal. 

I am now on week 13 and week 3 of 100mg and I feel 90% back to my normal self and I am positive with more time I will be 100%. I started a new job last week and have been absolutely fine. I feel confident again and looking forward to the future.

I wanted to write this post because I promise no matter how bad you're feeling now I have been there and it does get better. It is such an isolating illness that makes you feel alone. I would spend all day on this forum searching for answers and positive stories in tears and panic. And that's why I wanted to share my story with you all as so many helped me in my time of need and I hope this helps at least one person. I feel so narcissistic writing about myself for so long haha but I wanted to give a full overview to be as helpful as I could. Below I will write a few things I realised in my recovery and also some things that helped when I felt helpless. 

1. Caffeine is a major cause of anxiety. I have completely cut this out of my life and now only drink decaffeinated and no fizzy drinks. It is a lifestyle change but you won't believe the difference it makes. 

2. Things to do in the potentially awful first couple/few weeks: read, play a game, do sudoku and crosswords, knit, anything to occupy your mind.

3. I took up jogging once my side effects eased. Jogging is great as even when you're feeling anxious you can put your headphones in and put your head down and let all that anxious energy out.

4. Buy a self help book. I'm not sure if I can write which one I bought here but do some research online and see which have good reviews. It was brilliant at understanding what was going on and gave lots of useful and effective tools to help in your everyday life.

5. Do not be afraid to increase!! I spent far too long worrying about being on antidepressants and increasing my dose. Who cares!!! If you have a chance to feel better go for it!!!

6. Alcohol - I have found that I don't get any more drunk on Sertraline than without. If anything perhaps a little less. Just be careful because if you have depression, it's the day after drinking that is the downfall, not the actual drinking itself. But I seem to be fine now.

I hope that you all feel some relief soon. Do not worry about being on tablets, increasing if you feel you need to and panic when you don't instantly feel better. It is not a sprint it's a marathon as frustrating as it is. You will get there!! xx

36 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Guys, I hope you are all well. I am looking for some urgent reasurance and advice.I have been taking sertraline 50 mg for close to 4 weeks now to combat my anxiety and worrying intrusive thoughts. I find myself having repetitive thoughts on things that haven't happened but are causing my sub concious mind to to worry which is having a knock on effect on my body i.e heaviness of the chest, constant worry, panic attacks, anxiety the list goes on. I don't know if any of you guys have experienced intrusive thoughts but they are horrible, thoughts that certainly are not the person I am! Sometimes I think I feed into them by trying to justify who I am. I don't know if its just the sertraline adjusting to my body as clearly by the the way I felt before taking sertraline there was definitley some sort of chemical imbalance in my brain. Since starting I have felt better on some days but I find that the worrying from my thoughts resets the way I feel so then I feel bad again. I am also taking Propranolol 10mg, twice 3 x per day to calm the anxiety symptoms sertraline brings on. I find when I wake up in the morning I feel so anxious also! Please guys any hope you can give me would be fantastic as I am struggling here.

• Posted

hi Robbie, how you gettting on? im week 7 on sertraline and still suffering, espcially as i was doing well last week but bad this week.

• Posted

hey kate i hope you see this i just want to say your post has changed multiple lives and has gave me so much hope. i was wondering ate you still on zoloft and do you still have no side effects and how long did it take for you too feel better and what other antidepressants did you take

• Posted

hi kate i am new to this ... glad your feeling better i started on 25 mg for 4 days then went up to 50 mg for a couple days now im at a litter more then 75 mg for like 5 days. it has caused me to have major anxiety to the point of pinched nerves in my neck .... doctor gave me 1 mg of ativan if it gets really bad

im really scared to take it ..... will this pass with more time and will i really get my life back

• Posted

Hi Kate. I just wanted to thank you so much for your post. I really needed to read it and it has given me hope. I am 6 days into taking Sertraline and trying very hard to stop catastrophising over my future. I plan to reread your post whenever I need to to help me keep the faith.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in such detail and help others. Lisa

• Posted

Hi Kate

thank you so much for that post you wrote it made a lot of sense. I'm into my 2nd week on 50mg and feel absolutely awful sickness nausea diare headaches aches pains tearful indigestion the list goes on. I just feel so down like I can't cope and just hope one day I wake up feeling a little better. My Dr says try to preserver with the side effects the will get easier. I'm struggling to eat as the nausea is horrendous aswell as the severe indigestion just hope I can be like you soon as I'm off work due to the side effects

Christine

• Posted

Hi,

I am new to Zoloft. I was on Lexapro for 13 years and then it just stopped working. My Dr. started me on Zoloft 4 weeks ago. For 3 weeks I was on 50mg, 5 days of 75mg and I'm now entering week 5, day 6 on 100mg. I still have pretty bad insomnia and I'm fidgety. I've also noticed at night when I lay down I have muscle twitching. I'll also wake up in the middle of the night, but with that feeling like I'm falling and so its like an abrubt awakening wondering if this is normal and it my body is still just adjusting to the med

• Posted

hey kate, i dont know if you will remember me or be able to go back and see my messages through my profile but we actually spoke about 3 years ago when i was last starting sertraline, how are you doing? i got better and now here i am again back starting sertraline again

• Posted

Hi Kate

Thank you for writing such a nice uplifting piece. I am just starting my second spell within the space of three years on sertraline which I'm nervous about but i know its for the best. I have started back on 50mg straight away and I'm not feeling much positivity at all but reading your piece has really helped to see that I'm not alone with this even though feeling lonely is very often top of my agenda. After reading your post i wanted ask if there was a huge change for you when you went up in dosage because i really feel i need more.

I do have one side effect which does bother me, which is having loose stools. I really feel like i want to go up and hopefully feel a lot better but I'm worried a little. what sort of big changes did you see after the jump to 100mg?

great post

• Posted

Hi Kate

I realise it's been some time since you posted this but I've just came across it. I'm going into my 3rd week of 50mg sertraline. I'm suffering severe anxiety, I havnt been outside for over 3 weeks now and I am unable to see my children. I am also not eating. It's unbearable. please tell me that this is normal and will get better. Thank you Mary x

• Posted

Hi Kate I enjoyed reading your success story. It really is a long struggle. Can I just ask please. Since i increased 11 days ago to 100mg. Was on 50mg since 8th July. I keep shaking most days and it doesn't wear off through the day. Is this normal and do I give it more time? Thank you

• Posted

I know this was a long time ago but how are you now. I'm on 50mg still for feeling myself after 8 weeks scared to go to 75 mg.

• Posted

hi Julia, how are you getting on now? im week 7 of 50mg of sertraline. was doing great last week but have relapsed this week. feel like ill never get better.

• Posted

just started 50mg 3 days ago and had severe side effects so I cut it in half to 25mg daily and I'm gonna take it at night to avoid side affects. So living in my skin is bearable now. I am also regressing off of Xannax. Was taking 2mg at night for sleep and 1 mg during the day for anxiety.

I've cut back to 1mg every other day and

I'm not sleeping but that ok for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.