13 weeks post fusion , uk

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi , I am in the uk, and am 16 weeks post ankle fusion , great immediate post op , pain free, cast for 6 weeks boot for 4 weeks , then consultant said to keep boot on for 10-14 days ,, then start to slowly wean off boot crutch ect, i have taken it slowly , but i am in so much pain on first standing up, i take around 2 or 3 mins of hobbling , then it eases and after 4-5 mins it gets better, if i stay up then its great , but if i sit again ant take the weight off , it all starts again when i get up, it is seemingly worse this last few days , but i think i did overdo it 3 days ago , i did around 7000 steps ! im so eager to get back to walking , i thought i could build up my walking , but it doesnt seem to be working like that , it is taking far longer than i thought ,I am going on holiday to Oktoberfest in 5 weeks ! i thought i would be doing so well by then, i just hope the pain is normal, i know the swelling is , but this sharp pain on the inside of my ankle is worrying , as for it bothering my other knee/hip.   they are shot anyway ! just looking for anyone feeling the same , to tell me it gets better ! Tracey

Tracey

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It gets better! I kicked the boot the day or so after I got the ok to walk. I could wean as tolerated, dependent on my pain level. I went for a half mile trail walk in my boot and even up, ran some errands and  had a lot of swelling, so I iced and elevated for the rest of the night. I went for a walk the next day with the boot/even up, and the next in tennis shoes, and go for a walk everyday. (I missed one day) It does hurt. I am getting better at it but going down the stairs is difficult because I don't te strength in that foot yet to push off the steps without pain. I can tell it's getting better though with all the use I'm giving it. It is not an immediate result. I got to PT and do exercises in between. It is painful to use your foot again. Listen to your body and keep icing and elevating with discomfort.

• Posted

Thanks Chestnut17, its that thing , overcoming using it , thinking is it ok , am i doing it harm rather than making it better, will get back on it tommorow and walk, have rested it today,but i think your right ,my body was saying i had done too much!   thanks for replying, 
  • Posted

Remember to use Even Up Shoe. 
    • Posted

My Evenup shoe support thingummy arrived as good as gold this morning and I walked away in the air boot without any problem with my back - which is the good news and I can't wait to rub the surgeon's nose in it! However my unoperated ankle , which has been taking the strain all these weeks and which is also arthritic, badly needs some support in the form of an insole or special shoe.  I shall be bullying the physiotherapist for that as soon as I can.   I may say my operated ankle is really very good and I just walk barefoot around the house for short periods.   I could take painkillers which would help but don't want to disguise any problems with the operated one,

• Posted

Awesome to hear. Please help me with recommendations for this as I feel like a nag about the Even Up Shoe. But I'm so passionate about healing the best we can and prevent injury not cause it and with a drug free product to reduce pain. 

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as you I'm 12 weeks post surgery and due to go back to been a full time chef on the 24th ( somehow don't think I'll be able to ) gonna be on my feet for 12 hours a day but the consultant said I'd be fit for work ,the pain is unreal 

• Posted

hey! I was a chef! untill  this dreaded osteo arthiritis got hold of me! maybe something about being a chef ! its a tough industry.
  • Posted

Hi, it does get better but very very slowly! I'm 6 months post op and still have pain rolling through my foot and at the back / side of my ankle even though all my X-rays look fine. I'm still walking with one crutch too. I'd advise trying to walk outside everyday building up your distance and rest and elevate/ice when you're at home.  I've also found swimming great as there is no stress on the foot/ ankle.  But it's a long haul back to full recovery ( I still can't imagine a full recovery for me) and when they tell you it could be a year to 18 months before you're fully happy you had the op done they're not joking! But take heart from the fact that you're but alone! Good luck! 

• Posted

Thanks Tessa, It feels much better today so it just shows, listen to your body, there are times when i can feel the normality of my ankle if that makes sense!? sometimes i just stand there.....pain free ! i had a deformity straightened too , caused by the osteo , so it does feel good ! thanks for the reply , and keep getting better ! 
    • Posted

I know I'm too soon out (8 days after FWB) but I was wondering when it will be when I wake up that I won't feel like I'm starting all over again! I walk everyday and am working on isolating exercises for the weak leg/ankle and I swear it's like Groundhog Day. I'm trying to be patient because I really am doing well in recovery and moving so much, doing PT, and icing/elevating. I was just curious when you sort of felt like you weren't beginning all over again the next day. I'm a healthy 37 y/o F with no arthritis or health problems who would like to feel that way again 🤣

• Posted

I felt the same at various stages, and still do! When I first got out of plaster and into the boot I felt like I'd gone backwards as pain started to kick in.  Then the same after getting rid of the boot and starting to walk in normal shoes.  At every stage it kind of feels like you go back a bit before you start going forwards again. But keep going, it will get better, although probably not as quickly as you'd like!  

• Posted

I have just been chatting to a friend of mine who is a doctor, more or less retired and he has also been an orthopaedic surgeon - a sporting chap, used to steeplechase.  His definition of an orthopaedic surgeon is quite funny ' as strong as an ox and twice as clever'……..   Mine is also just about as communicative as the aforesaid bovine …...

• Posted

i got ahead of myself im only 13 weeks post op now ! just an update, atm things seem to be getting worse , my ankle keeps giving way, and the pain seems to be increasing the more i try and do , im so disheartened :-(   but i see my consultant week on monday , will update then .
    • Posted

If it's giving way don't walk on it till you have another X-ray. Can you get in to see someone earlier. I ended up going back almost weekly to gp. I know I was a nag but had good reason. It's your pain you tell them, it's their job to listen. They get paid to do a good job. And our future is our job. I've become darn annoyed at follow up being. "Oh see you in 6 weeks."  Yeah right. And then told "it's a good thing you came early". Listen to your body honey and be safe. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.