13 weeks post op: back to walking

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 13 weeks post op of a trimalleolar fracture and have been given the ok to FWB in my boot for a week. I started off pretty well with less pain than expected. Then today my ankle seemed really achy and it felt harder to walk. I go back in less than a week to hopefully get the go ahead to ditch the boot. Looking to hear of other's experiences and how many weeks out of the boot it took to be walking somewhat normally. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My 14 yo dtr had trimalleolar fracture with dislocation.  she was out of cast at 9 weeks, PWB with boot for about 1, FWB with boot for 1 week, and then FWB at 11 weeks.  In that 11th week, when she was first out of boot, it was really anxiety-provoking bease her ankle was SO stiff,a nd it seemed hard to imagine it would ever loosen up as much as was needed. She is now at 15 weeks and has been give partial clearance to start jogging and doing stationary exercises and sports activities.  From 11 to 15 weeks, she made huge progress and has gotten to about 75% range of motion, and I would say she had about 5-10% when she first came out of cast.  She walks almost without a limp (you have to know she had an issue to see it). PT was the best thing for her, along with the elliptical machine.  Good to luck to you.  It was a pretty scary injury.
    • Posted

That's good to hear. With all the other steps there was a deadline. 2 weeks in a splint, 4 weeks in a cast, 6 weeks in a boot, etc. It's making me anxious not having much of an idea of how long getting back on my feet will take. It's good to hear from others!

• Posted

I was told to weight bear a shame much as possible with no boot after six weeks, 

I've been fully weight bearing since about 11/12 weeks, I'm now 15 weeks walking unaided with a slight limp

• Posted

Karli, you will get aches and pains for some time however, you will also see great improvements over the next weeks and months so please stay positive.

I am just over 4 months post ORIF and now able to walk unaided or just with a stick, I still get pain and swelling but nothing I cannot manage.

I have only been walking for about 4 weeks as I had a mental block and couldn’t get my brain and feet to talk so I was slow.

make sure you do physio and if you can hydrotherapy which has been like a miracle cure for me.

good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.