13 weeks post opp from TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

My knee has very little pain, and I have full range of motion.  However, at 13 weeks post opp I'm in more pain than before surgery.  I have been to ER once, my doctor once, urgent care twice, PT twice a week for 12 weeks, and called 911 over memorial day weekend because I couldn't walk or get out of bed with muscle spasms in the calf area. Excrutiating pain. No one can figure out what is wrong. I think I was pushed too far to do too much PT. They have confirmed there is no infection or blood clot.  Great then what is causing this pain?  Family members have massagedthe area and it feels like the calf pamuscle spasm has broken up.  the area for me and hot epson salt baths helped.  The swelling became worse in my 10th week post opp. The calf pain started at 6 weeks post opp.  In my 12th week the Paramedic felt both calves and said my surgery leg calf muscle was contracting. He siad it needs to be worked out in PT thru massage and heat, & ultra sound. However,  PT won't massage because they are still afraid of moving a blood clot  The pain is in the crease of the back of my knee and then the whole leg is tight, with a lot of swelling.  The muscle spasms have died down, thank God because they are pretty unbearable. See the doctor this Monday.  I'd like to hear from people with similar circumstances that are as far along as me or more.  TY

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Back off ANF rest for 2 or 3 days.....continue icing. You've tried to earn a gold star and they just aren't given for this rehab. Massagecwith some good thick oil..not thin body creams. Drink an unusually large amt of water. Hit the pain meds again. Just get over the hump and start very slowly next week.
    • Posted

You haven't done any thing that many others haven't done before you.
  • Posted

Back off ANF rest for 2 or 3 days.....continue icing. You've tried to earn a gold star and they just aren't given for this rehab. Massagecwith some good thick oil..not thin body creams. Drink an unusually large amt of water. Hit the pain meds again. Just get over the hump and start very slowly next week.
  • Posted

Linda

i have had bad calf muscle cramps to the point where my toes are cramped also. I tried magnesium cream etc. The lady at the Health food store told me to drink dill pickle juice. It has worked like a charm. I take a couple of swallows a day. No more muscle cramps. 

• Posted

I have never heard of pickle juice but I'm willing to give it a try!
  • Posted

Usually if you're having muscle contractions to the point that they cramp up your toes, you may not be getting enough water.  Drink a couple of small bottles before bed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.