13 weeks post TKR light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 19 users are following.

I'm 13 wks post TKR,and haven't posted for a while. In the first  weeks of recovery I thought I would never be well again and what a huge mistake I'd made having the op. I ranted and cried on this forum about not getting enough bend,being so tired through lack of sleep and being a helpless emotional wreck!!!! The support and help I received here was the boost I needed and also told me I wasn't on my own on this path. My recovery was slow but with encouragement and tips from you all I kept going. 

Now at 13 wks post op I'm well on that road to sanity and recovery, my swelling has gone down enormously, that tight band round the knee has improved so much that I only notice if I'm tired or done too much, I've learnt how to balance rest and exercise, my bend is a good 110 deg  I would have liked more but if that's the swap for no pain I'm fine with that. I still do the exercises and may yet get more bend.never say never. I'm walking mostly without my stick but use it when needed as I'm having my right knee done soon as it is very bad. I wanted to give back to this forum for those at the early stages that recovery does come and it won't take forever. I can't thank everyone on here enough fo their support. OFG , Shirley, Joan,Cheryl,sueisobel, Donna, Irish Linda,martinarvelo,lou1962, and all the rest of you guys out there, I thank you for your love and support throughout. Life is on the up!!!!!

6 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I echo all you have said about the support given by forum members. When I felt isolated and weak this forum got me going. The docs and physics were great but talking to you guys made me realise I was not alone. Seriously you helped me get through a dark place. My TKR is 2 months old today and as you said there is light at the end of my wobbly tunnel. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi chrishappy

I am only 4 weeks into a TKR and have just joined this very helpful forum. 

It was very uplifting to hear of your ongoing recovery. I have the same "heavy" leg every morning, just like " Groundhog Day", the same pain and restlessness through the the night and am just so depressed, thinking it will never get better. I walk round the house and do the excercises regularly and the swelling hinders the bend. 

I note there are some horror stories too on the website so I suppose I am lucky, but it seems like a never ending misery.

So glad I read your post x

• Posted

Be sure you are getting plenty of rest throughout the day. There is such a rush to heal that the continual movement and push for ROM can actually slow down some of the progress. Listen to your body.....hydrate.....ice and Rest are just important as bend and push. Set some reasonable time lines for recovery. 6 weeks, 12 weeks etc. Check your progress at those time slots and you'll feel much better. Setting unrealistic goals can cause frustration and a feeling of helplessness. Stay with the program and you'll find one day a few weeks from now you have gotten through this.
    • Posted

Thank you for your wise words. I have since had a better nights sleep as I asked  for Oxynorm from my doctor. I only took one at bedtime and I slept for three hours which is good, and then until 6 am. 

Everyone says you must get the bend and I am totally obsessed by this, but will rest and ice more now. I am so glad I found this site as I thought I was the only miserable person, with no end to it all. I will try to be more positive and hopefully as you say, will get there in time. 

• Posted

Straight is more important than bend as you can't avoid the limp with a knee that won't straighten. One thing to help the bend: when you walk, slow down your pace, stride out full step hitting the heel, toe and then fully bend the leg. Often times we are in such a hurry to get going we forget the purpose of the excercise we're doing. Do this with both legs. You will get some strange looks because you are exaggerating every movement. Keep working....it'll get better
    • Posted

OFG is right straightening is more inportant than the bend ,though you must do both keep going best of luck
  • Posted

Also at Week 13 Chris. Shuffling when I walk cuz my knee is soooo tight and swollen. Calves and ankles painful. Knee itself is doing great. Numbers are good. Might be getting my appetite back..

Can't stand for more than a few minutes...and my doc! Said yesty, "Well maybe you're gonna be one of the 15% who doesn't get any better than this." Yikes! Scared now.

• Posted

Hey Sidney take no notice of your doc, it's very early days for you !!!! I'm now well on the recovery road.its taken me a long time, 2yrs first knee and 15 months second knee. I now have 126 deg bends and no swelling anymore. Don't expect to be normal till at least 12mths.I worried myself silly and it got me nowhere. Your best friends are ice and elevate.and patience and tolerance for now

• Posted

Hi everyone. I'm just past the 12 week mark. Never ever thought my knee was going to start to feel normal don't get me wrong I still have bad days and sleepless nights But not so much. I was at my final PT yesterday reached 118° bend and my leg is now straighter than my good leg. Everything is going well 8 weeks until my holiday so now can look forward. No cane, no pain killers it is manageable nowadays when I think about how horrendous it was yuk!. So if you're now going through the early weeks chin up it definitely gets better. I have to admit I've cancelled my right leg for now maybe in a year's time I might be ready but for now I'll continue my exercises etc. This forum has helped me enormously put my mind at ease when I thought I was alone in my pain so a massive thank you to all who responded. X

• Posted

Welll done, and good to hear! Keep on and reap the rewards of all the hard work! 😊

• Posted

I am in my eighth week from tkr.  At 2 weeks I had a 100 degree bend which the PT told me was great.  My problem is the stiffness and pain that I still have.  I've been doing therapy for 7 weeks now.  I am still not able to sleep in my own bed.  When I do sleep it is for usually only 4 hours at a time.  I have fibromyalgia and feel like maybe this condition is contributing to my slow recovery.  On my last PT visit, the therapist did some manual manipulation because she said the inside of my knee is all knotted up.  It hurt terribly and then she used some sort of tape on it.  I had this done on Thursday and it is Monday and I suffered all week-end with what seemed like unusual different pain.  Feels like it did when I first started therapy.  I go back to my surgeon this week - will see what she says.  I've heard that some people have to go in and have a surgical manipulation, but am hoping that since my ROM is at 112 now I won't have to do this.  I just don't understand why my knee feels so stiff and hurts so much.  Maybe I am not giving it enough time.

• Posted

Hi Chris happy your flex is good. I still feel I have a tight band round my knee occasionally. My PT said its inflammation and with time will disappear. I was unable to take anti inflamatories so unfortunately it's taking a little longer than normal. I think you only need a MUA when you have very little bend. You're doing well for 8 weeks just remember exercise ice and elevate and in a few weeks you'll feel the be benefit. It takes up to 1 Yr to feel normal but to does get better and 4 weeks ago I never thought it would. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.