13 with pinworms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently 13 years old and I think I have pinworms. It has been itching for quite a while now and it really bugs me. I don't have the courage to tell my parents, I feel really embarrassed. I don't even know where I got them from. I wash my hands regularly, especially after using the toilet. I am a nail biter but I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I don't know what to do and how to tell my mum and dad. I feel too embarrassed to even say anything and I just feel really upset.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Shanelle,please try to tell your Mum or Dad. Its nothing to be embarrassed about.However,you say you are a nail biter so your fingers are constantly in your mouth and I guess this is where you have caught them. Can you get to a pharmacy and ask the assistant for some advice? or do you have an older sister or friend who could help? There are medications you can buy...one is called Reeses pinworm medicine.

Pinworms are often caught from animals/pets.Often the whole family is suffering but too embarrassed to tell one another. If you let your Mum know,she can help I'm sure. She may be suffering and any siblings you may have as well,but she wont let you know.

• Posted

Nail biting is a very common way you can contract pinworms, as the eggs stay under nails and fingers unless washes away. You NEED to tell your parents , as they would need to schedule doctor appointment and do tape test to see if you do have pinworms . If you do, they would then get given a medecine that kills the worms. you must wash all bedsheets every 3 days at 60 degrees or over, then every week, then every month.. etc. Try to stop biting nails as you might get reinfected. Dont panic, these worms are common and can be treated just as easily as they can come. And dont read all the horror stories online about pinworms and they can seriously cause depression. i took my medicatiom and i havent had worms since ! GOOD LUCK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.