13 wks post TKR and still in pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Im 13 wks post TKR and still experiencing various different pain, sometimes in my shin, sometimes in my ankle and today my whole leg throbs ! Ive finished with PT and been told by two Physios now that my bend will not improve, its 125 degrees. Has anyone elses improved after this time? I thought it took a year to get to the most recovery. Im supposed to have the right one done next year but Ive been put off. Also my GP has given me Lyrica for the pain but Ive only just started it so its early days.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks removed from total knee replacement. My extension is excellent but I am in terrible pain most of the time. It swells very easily. I am worn out mentally from this . IS ANYONE EXPERIENCING THIS PAIN AT 9 WEEKS .Painkillers aren't working well Desperate for releif. ANYONE GOT ANSWERS

• Posted

Absolutely, YES!!!  For most people, the pain is pretty much gone in the 3-6 month range...some shorter, some longer.  You stay on the heavy duty meds for as long as you need them and then transition to the non-narcotics.  Most people still have a bit of pain on and off for up to a year...or longer.

Right now, you're still in the middle of the most painful time period.  Very normal, very predictable...but that doesn't make it better...does it?  I'm almost seven months p/o with zero pain, zero meds, zero walking aids and full flexion.  It takes time, patience and perseverance. I still look a bit swollen, need to work on my leg strength and hear that familiar clicking sound.  If I sit for a while, the first few steps are still a bit tenuous; the more I walk, the better it is.  Gonna be that way for a while.

• Posted

Over the counter patches with aspercreme and/or lidocain is great, or get a prescription for voltaren gel.
  • Posted

I have been going through the same thing throughout my recovery (I am currently 8 weeks post op). Every day seems to be a little different as far as the pain/discomfort. Some days it's the shins, others the foot or the hip. With your new knee comes a newly aligned leg, which changes the alignment of a lot of other parts of the body. Not to mention all the muscles and nerves that were taken apart during the surgery. I was told this was a completely normal part of the healing process. Keep,doing what you are doing, as your flexion is great! Good luck!

• Posted

I dont think any of us going in have any idea of the enormity of the surgery. The surgeon really doesnt prepare us. It is a huge surgery. Like an amputation. The toll it takes on us physically and emotionally is huge. I think it helped me (after 3 months) of really accepting this. Pain frustration depression impatience. It helps to accept. It also helps if one does not have to go rite to work. We need to heel. We need patience. Understanding. These groups are a godsend

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.